Author Topic: QUIZ QUESTION  (Read 17133 times)

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
Re: QUIZ QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 00:33:24 AM »
Well......the button, a well-known regular turns over

5c   7c  

...and the young guy in the BB flips

3h   Qs  

The Button then says "I think I have some back".......and I think....."Eh?"

The dealer adds the chips up and sure enough, the BB was all-in and was covered by the button by 900 chips. The dealer then pushes the chips to the BB.....and I think ...."WHAT?"

It then becomes a real "Derren Browne" moment as I look at the faces of the other players. Two of them look really puzzled but nobody speaks so I play it back in my head....

"  5s   5h   5c   3c   3d  beats   3c   3d   3h   Qh   Qs  .......WHATTTTTTTTTTTT ???????"

"Surely the wrong player won ???...what am I missing???.....I must be missing something ?????????"......But as with Derren, if enough people believe it is true, then it must be.
  Two hands later the 900-chip guy goes out and walks away and I can hold back no longer......."How the feck did that happen?....5"s over 3"s beats 3"s over Q"s.....or am I missing something??"

The two puzzled players agree but said it wasn"t there place to speak up. I had spoken up once before when a similar thing happened and got slagged to high-heaven for doing so, but this situation was surreal. I REALLY began to believe that I had missed something, even though in my head I KNEW the wrong player had been given the chips.
 The "Winner" sheepishly said "What happens if he comes back....will I have to give him his chips back?".......well no, but you might want to run pretty quickly (Button was a BIGGGG lad ).

Just an amazing thing to happen and had to share it....and Rob, your first guess was incorrect so you failed to win the prize....though I may buy you a pint in 2012 cuz I saw you on TV last month  ;D
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 00:44:14 AM »
57 wins...are u saying that Q3 claims pot?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:30 AM »

The two puzzled players agree but said it wasn"t there place to speak up.

They are wrong.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »

The two puzzled players agree but said it wasn"t there place to speak up.

They are wrong.

^^^^this

I thought it was the responsibility of all players to ensure the integrity of the game.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
Yup - in tournament play, the cards speak and the best hand wins.... All players have a responsibility to ensure that the integrity of the game is maintained, and should speak up to assist the dealer in this instance.      Totally different in a cash game though.

Something similar happened at an APAT event in Edinburgh a couple of years ago, and a well know and very vocal APAT player got very aggressive toward someone who pointed out a dealer error and chips were moved to the correct winner, and away from the vocal player.... who then berated the whistle blower......   in that spot, imo the whistle blower did the right thing. In the example in this OP, those who kept quiet did the wrong thing.... and the guy with Q3 who knew he had no right to the pot was a cheat.

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
 and the guy with Q3 who knew he had no right to the pot was a cheat.

^^^^  this

The dealer should receive strong "words of advice" from his/her employer, and the guy with Q3... I"d never want him at the same table as me.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »

Yup - in tournament play, the cards speak and the best hand wins.... All players have a responsibility to ensure that the integrity of the game is maintained, and should speak up to assist the dealer in this instance.  

those who kept quiet did the wrong thing.... and the guy with Q3 who knew he had no right to the pot was a cheat.

was this self-deal? In which case the rest of the players have even more of a responsibilty to speak up

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 17:57:00 PM »
It was DEALER-dealt. It was,as I said, a little surreal and very strange.  The tournament hadn"t been running long and I convinced myself I had missed something. Only after the other guys agreed did I realise I hadn"t been wrong after all.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 23:15:48 PM »
before we all start picking on Brian.......again, I think this is actually a common mnistake.

It has arisen because the 3Q guy has used both his cards to house up whereas the 57 guy has only used 1.

I have seen this before in a pub game and most of the table needed convincing which hand had won.

Obviously, you should have said something Bri, but I can see why/how you were stunned into silence.

Thats 2 BCPCers who owe me beers now for winning their competitions

I run sooooooooo good

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 22:15:44 PM »
 I wouldnt loose sleep over it Brian. Its obv the dealers fault, he didnt do his job correctly. And if the guy who dragged the pot knew that it wasnt his, then this is very bad and border cheating. Its these two who should feel guilty and not you Brian.