Author Topic: $100 Deep Stack on Pokerstars?  (Read 5468 times)

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
$100 Deep Stack on Pokerstars?
« on: January 13, 2008, 04:13:36 AM »
Anybody ever played in one of the $100 deepstack tournaments on pokerstars? I just finished one there. I usually play lower stakes of around $20 - 30 but thought i"d give a $100 tournament a shot. I looked up a couple then sat down to register for the $100 20k Guarenteed ... when I looked nearly 500 folk had registered and I wanted to try one with a smaller field of around 200-ish max and it just so happened a seperate $100 Deep Stack was starting so I registered....

GOD, I feel like i"ve been to the poker graveyard! I know it"s deepstack but when i"ve played other deepstacks at lower stakes people usually use the bigger stacks to allow themselves to widen their range and play in a lot more hands but this was the most boring game of poker i"ve ever played in my life! Hardly any action from most players, they were all sitting like complete rocks which I did use to my advantage and worked my 5,000 stack into 12,000 in around an hour - only to have it sent down to 3,000 again in three seperate hands. KJ made a straight on the river against me THREE times when I had two pair and trips!!!

Anyway that wasn"t too bad, that"s poker but the speed of this game was unlike any other. It was so slow I actually feel drowsy from it! There was 200 runners and I finished 59th... it took FOUR HOURS to get down to that number of people - it was slower than a live game!!! At least in a live game you"ve got the company of other folk, atmosphere and the excitement to keep you going.

I just checked and the game with nearly 500 runners is down to the final 12 while the game I was in still has 54 people playing....

Steer clear of the $100 deep stacks unless you want to be bored to death!
WCOAP 2009 Online Omaha Champion
WCOAP 2009 Online ME Final Tablist

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: $100 Deep Stack on Pokerstars?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:19:49 AM »
It does what it says on the tin - it"s a deepstack, and deepstack games are set up to allow much much more play than a standard or turbo game.  Be prepared for a Marathon.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »
Jeez, some people are never happy. Just stick to your 10-12 minute blind level donkfests if thats what you like then.  ::)

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 16:08:42 PM »

It does what it says on the tin - it"s a deepstack, and deepstack games are set up to allow much much more play than a standard or turbo game.  Be prepared for a Marathon.

Exactly it is SUPPOSED to allow much more play. My point was, nobody was playing at all... Most hands had one raise then fold all round - people had massive stacks and weren"t playing with it at all they were all waiting around for Aces, Kings, Queens or AK/AQ...
WCOAP 2009 Online Omaha Champion
WCOAP 2009 Online ME Final Tablist

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 16:34:42 PM »
Play the deepstacks, but play some other tournaments at the same time.  That way you avoid the boredom.

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 20:44:31 PM »

Play the deepstacks, but play some other tournaments at the same time.  That way you avoid the boredom.

Very good advice.  Trouble is, I just lose even more chips that way  ;D

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 16:26:47 PM »

Does anyone actually single table anymore?  :o :o :o

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 16:32:30 PM »

I tend to single-table in live games.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 16:34:45 PM »

lightweight
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 17:00:28 PM »

Jeez, I"n normally sitting out in at least 2 MTT"s online when I play live. lol

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 17:59:45 PM »

Exactly it is SUPPOSED to allow much more play. My point was, nobody was playing at all... Most hands had one raise then fold all round - people had massive stacks and weren"t playing with it at all they were all waiting around for Aces, Kings, Queens or AK/AQ...

...then surely that was your opportunity to do the opposite and play Loose Aggressive... push the tight arses around and build an early stack :)

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 19:05:18 PM »
I play a lot of  single tables mostly $10 and $20.
Still learn the science and practicing the art