Author Topic: League games, teamplay and other stuff  (Read 6233 times)

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
League games, teamplay and other stuff
« on: March 05, 2012, 22:18:04 PM »
Let me know what your thoughts are on "teamplay" in the league games. Dave and I have come up with what we think is a fair strategy but firstly we"d like to hear you opinions.
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: League games, teamplay and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 22:26:49 PM »

Let me know what your thoughts are on "teamplay" in the league games. Dave and I have come up with what we think is a fair strategy but firstly we"d like to hear you opinions.

Totally depends on the situation imho........early days im obv not going to make a big move/bluff on a teamate and would expect the same from others but on the flip if ive got a hand im not going to play easy against them as need to build stack both for my own survival and also the longer term points need of the team.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 22:49:16 PM by mylesfdo »

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 18:33:08 PM »

You been down the local mute school signing up team members Curly?!! :D ;D........29 views and only 1 reply wtf!! ??? ???

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 18:55:04 PM »
Teamplay is not to be used whilst I am involved in the hand, if I raise I have the goods and if I fold, I was still making tea.

I do however look forward to seeing how long the first game lasts! Onwards and upwards SE

WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

alsomati

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 22:37:53 PM »
gloves off until you make the points then work together to get the most from each tourney

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 21:43:00 PM »
I"m not a big fan of softplay or people who show one card!  ::)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »

gloves off until you make the points then work together to get the most from each tourney

For me:

Avoid needless confrontation (i.e. KK v AA, set over set = unavoidable) with teammates until the points and then go for the win. For the reasons that it seems harsh to ask someone doing well to change strategy to their detriment when close to the money - and that changing strategy to protect people will be -EV in the long run. I"ve tried in the past to protect team members and the only teams it benefited were other ones!

However, I have no doubt that certain situations shall arise in/around the points where some form of team strategy would obviously benefit the team.

So not quite gloves off pre-points imo, but no clear soft playing either. I think the bottom line is that the more people playing (and scoring) the better, so preserving team numbers early on is quite important. I won"t be 3betting you guys with 75o. The colonies (Wales and Scotland) are getting 3bet with any two ;)

The more opinions the better here, anyone else got a view?
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:56:47 AM »

For me:

Avoid needless confrontation (i.e. KK v AA, set over set = unavoidable) with teammates until the points and then go for the win. For the reasons that it seems harsh to ask someone doing well to change strategy to their detriment when close to the money - and that changing strategy to protect people will be -EV in the long run. I"ve tried in the past to protect team members and the only teams it benefited were other ones!

However, I have no doubt that certain situations shall arise in/around the points where some form of team strategy would obviously benefit the team.

So not quite gloves off pre-points imo, but no clear soft playing either. I think the bottom line is that the more people playing (and scoring) the better, so preserving team numbers early on is quite important. I won"t be 3betting you guys with 75o. The colonies (Wales and Scotland) are getting 3bet with any two ;)

The more opinions the better here, anyone else got a view?

I pretty much agree with Dave.

The key thing to remember is that, to win one of the added value seats, the team has to finish in the first 3 places in the league. When we achieve that then the 3 best scorers will claim a seat, dependant on whether we are 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

I am of the opinion that we avoid each other wherever possible, particularly in the early stages unless monster hands clash obv., and try to make sure that as many of us make the points, the top 27, as is possible. This achieves 2 things.

Firstly it gives us the best chance to score as highly as we can overall but also limits other teams as to how many top 27 spots they have. If we have 8 in the top 27 then there are only 19 other places, therefore improving our chances and reducing theirs. With only 5 players scoring for each team, numbers really do matter.

Once the points are reached, and because the money bubble will be closing in, then it"s fair to expect that all players should try their best to get paid. But again, the more top places we fill the better.

I look at it like this.

Player A wins 2 league games and comes 3rd twice for a total of 85 points or there abouts. He fails to score in any other game, but because the team did well overall, he comes 2nd in a team that comes 2nd overall and he wins a £250 DTD seat.

Player B has 8 points finishes, with a highest finish of 4th and scores 72 points and comes 3rd overall also getting a seat.

These 2 scenarios are very likely if the team does well overall, but ONLY if it does well overall.

I"m sure there will be a few tears and a few unhappy players from time to time, but hey thats poker.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for supporting the team so well thus far. I look forward to collecting the Cup in 4 months time ;)
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.