Author Topic: Broken ankle  (Read 13 times)

Xuarantui

Broken ankle
« on: April 24, 2024, 13:54:26 PM »
A little over 2 weeks ago, I went out for an evening walk with my father. A bit of the pavement was uneven, and I took a bad step, rolled my ankle, and snapped off the tip of my fibula.

I went to emergency the next day and was placed in a walking boot, although told not to bear weight. Follow-up at the fracture clinic the next week concluded that the type of break I have would heal better in a cast, so my lower leg is now encased in fibreglass. Can't bear weight until the cast comes off, then I'm told I can transition back to the boot. All told, I'll be off my feet for roughly 8 weeks minimum.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am really struggling with boredom and just the frustration of not being able to do very much. Also super disappointed at the presumably long timeline to get back to riding - does anyone know how long I can expect to be out of the saddle, and how long it will take to gain back the strength and flexibility I need to ride?

DerekVendel

Re: Broken ankle
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 23:36:11 PM »
When you break a bone its going to be at least six weeks. I was trampled by a horse and had a fracture in the top of my foot.

RhaegarShelby

Re: Broken ankle
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 23:43:31 PM »
As for getting back into riding, the timeline can vary depending on how well your ankle heals and how diligent you are with your physical therapy. It's important to listen to your body and not rush things. Your doctor will be able to give you a better idea of when you can start riding again.
In the meantime, focus on your recovery and finding things that bring you joy. And hey, if you ever need some distraction or advice, feel free to reach out. We're all here to support each other through these tough times!
If you're looking for expert advice on ankle injuries and recovery, I found this website really helpful: https://dallasfootanklesurgeon.com/. They have some great resources that might answer some of your questions.