Author Topic: APAT UK Team Championship 2014 - Discussion Thread  (Read 91778 times)

kohan

• Silver Member
Re: APAT UK Team Championship 2014 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 21:15:01 PM »
2013 wcoap  heads up bronze medalist
2013 home internatiols team event silver medalist
2014  online english silver medalist
2015  wcoap team event silver medalist
2016  wcoap  7 card stud silver medalist
2016european c/ships bronze medalist
2017  uk team c/ship  gold medalist

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 22:03:18 PM »

I"m firmly in the camp of don"t fix what ain"t broke.

Not sure how you can look at this event in anything other than isolation, as it is unique within the APAT calendar.

25 teams from across the land descend upon a poor unsuspecting venue for poker madness and mayhem.

The rail is always bigger at this event, the support is always louder.  Doesn"t matter whether it"s been held in Blackpool, Manchester, Bolton or Luton, it"s something that everyone looks forward to, and stands out in the UK poker scene.

No one does this as well, or with as much anticipation from the players as APAT does.

Genting Stoke will be an amazing venue for this, as the team there really "get" what APAT is about.

If you wanted to improve the event :-

Put on a cracking Friday night event, for those that are making a weekend of it with their team.

Put on a Saturday night game, so early exits know in advance they will have a game to play, so will guarantee they plan to stay for the weekend.

Put on a Sunday afternoon game to give the rail some poker options.

Find a way to put the in-running leaderboard up on a big screen, so everyone gets the same info.

Perhaps include some live satellites for the upcoming WCOAP. Never been done before, I"m sure players would love it.  Maybe a mixed game satellite that wins you a WCOAP Passport (1xME + 2xSE).  Running across the weekend.

In essence, make it a wall to wall festival of poker and really showcase what APAT is all about.

Oh, and I"d love to see this payout 100% to the individuals, with team prizes being added value seats from a headline sponsor.  Probably not possible, but we can all dream.   ;D

What Leigh says EXCEPT the last bit. 50/50 please, it"s an easier sell within the team structure. All winning team members should be guaranteed a cash payout after a long winning weekend. Added seats would of course be welcome bonus but cash is king at the end of the day.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

IrishTom

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 22:07:34 PM »
Leigh thanks for you in-depth thoughts mate - much appreciate some great ideas.

My first venture with APAT was the Scottish Championship in Glasgow early November with a copy of the schedule below:

Fri 1st Nov:
21:00-23:59   APAT Scottish Cash Tour Championship (Phase One - Final Table Qualifier 1/2)

Sat 2nd Nov:
14:00-Final27   Main Event: APAT Scottish Amateur Poker Championship (Day 1) £75 + £7.50
21:00-23:59   APAT Scottish Cash Tour Championship (Phase One - Final Table Qualifier 2/2)

Sun 3rd Nov:
12:00-14:00   APAT Scottish Cash Tour Championship (Phase Two - Final Table)
13:00-finish   2 x APAT Dedicated Cash Tables (25p/50p and 50p/£1) (possibly from 12:00 tbc)
14:15-finish   Main Event: APAT Scottish Amateur Poker Championship (Final Day)
14:30-finish   APAT Scottish Pub Poker Championship £25 + £5
16:00-finish   APAT Scottish PLO Championship £25 + £5

Obviously I"m aware APAT has some great "festival" events - wcoap etc - and one of my "main ambitions" is to develop more of a "festival" approach to all APAT events - as far as possible and as far as the APAT Board agree - so hopefully we"ll see much more of a "weekend schedule" like Glasgow - with "no bounds" on what is in the schedule nor the period it covers (ie Fri to Sun giving everyone - especially those who are "knocked out of main event" something else to aim for).

I am however a little disappointed by some of the events in Glasgow - the Cash Tour only had 9 each night of the Qualifying Events and the PLO side event was a STT - and the "APAT dedicated cash tables" were not utilised.  Was this because it was Glasgow - lots of locals - lots of APAT Regs not in attendance - trip to Vegas - 2 separate night qualifiers for cash tour - cash tour buyin £50 to £200 - cash tour unlimited top-ups when £100 or less etc? (but at least it generated a Final Table).

I"m not one for knee-jerk reactions, so I"m still inclined to run the 2-night Cash Tour qualifier in Stoke as well to see how that goes (and again with Final Table before the Main Event resumes on Sunday) - have again asked the venue for "APAT-dedicated cash tables" for Sun and there are side events planned - one can but plan and hope - but one thing I know for sure - it will be a cracking weekend...
Facebook: Tom Brady (Plymouth)
Twitter: TomBradyLPPL

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 22:41:21 PM »
Well if the APAT Cash Tables are rake free i can pretty much guarantee that Team Gotham (if there) would hold one all night no problems!!

Making each event a festival-esque experience is a great idea however, and your if TG are playing that all of us will be in all the sides etc.....addicts ya see!
Team Gotham - The Joker

Serial APAT Underachiever

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 23:23:34 PM »
 The team scoring system should be more akin to the payouts of the tournament imo. I mean who enters a 200 runner MTT to finish in the top 100?

The people finishing in the top 3 or so positions (certainly final table) should have a large bearing on who wins the team prizes, so points increments should increase accordingly on the final table.

Probably a difficult one to get right but certainly think 100 getting points is a bit much.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 23:31:46 PM »

The team scoring system should be more akin to the payouts of the tournament imo. I mean who enters a 200 runner MTT to finish in the top 100?

The people finishing in the top 3 or so positions (certainly final table) should have a large bearing on who wins the team prizes, so points increments should increase accordingly on the final table.

Probably a difficult one to get right but certainly think 100 getting points is a bit much.

totally agree. There has/should be a huge uplift for those reaching the final table. Up to 20 hours play has to be rewarded. Suggest F1 scoring system for top 10 on top of the normal scoring structure as an absolute minimum. The winner deserves so much more than 10 points more than 10th and would really tighten up the team event positions until much later in the day on Sunday.
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 02:43:16 AM »

Totally disagree - it"s a team event so it matters less who is in the top few than where the majority of the team finish. Current scoring system is spot on. Please don"t mess about with this event.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 06:35:29 AM »

Totally disagree - it"s a team event so it matters less who is in the top few than where the majority of the team finish. Current scoring system is spot on. Please don"t mess about with this event.

I"m with Andy on this

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »
Current scoring system is spot on. Please don"t mess about with this event.

The vast majority of posts in this thread urge the powers-that-be not to tinker with the format of the team event - I do hope that this doesn"t fall on deaf ears.

APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

IrishTom

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 09:28:07 AM »

I"m in this camp - to "over weigh" the points for the "top finishers" I fear would skew the all-round performance of the whole team - for both the teams that do well with 1 or 2 players who run very deep, but also for the teams who don"t quite make the final few spots but maybe did very well with their players up to that point - the performance of the "whole team" being the deciding factor in crowning the Champions.

IrishTom

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »

Current scoring system is spot on. Please don"t mess about with this event.

The vast majority of posts in this thread urge the powers-that-be not to tinker with the format of the team event - I do hope that this doesn"t fall on deaf ears.

Well Ian all I can say is that the deaf are listening!

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:48 AM »
Well Ian all I can say is that the deaf are listening!

Thanks Tom  ;) looks like we were typing our replies at the same time but you beat me to the send button  :)
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 15:55:17 PM »
Ban GNF simples let another team have a chance to win...

But I echo Leigh's post I don"t think it really needs to be changed..

Some SNG type shoot out tournaments for WCOAP passport would be great or MTT.

Not a great lover of G Luton, would love to see this at DTD with more teams given a chance up it from 20 maybe 25 or 30 even..

At the end of the day whatever happens it will still be a great success as i know how much players look forward to this each season..
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Matt D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 15:58:32 PM »
Hi Carl, it"s at Genting Stoke this season.
APAT Online is on Grosvenor Poker. Down the software from http://www.apat.com/grosvenor-poker

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 17:48:43 PM »

Hi Carl, it"s at Genting Stoke this season.

:) yes excellent choice of venue, just hope it stays away from Luton in future seasons .. If the weekend can turn into a festival style weekend with some side events running alongside and bigger fields would love it to be moved to DTD if possible that"s all.
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP