Author Topic: In the beginning  (Read 100839 times)

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
In the beginning
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »
Before I start this, there are two points I would like to point out. Number one I am not a comedian, (me doing this is a joke in it's self) if you want a good laugh then go and read Swinbags. Number two I cannot spell so please don't put FYP or are you dyslexic? Let my save you the bother YES I AM. So why am I doing this, o yes the free seat. So ware do you start a blog? I will start at the beginning what a very good place to start doe, ray, me. (That's my attempt of a joke, see what I mean)

I will be going back to the beginning of APAT how I heard about it, why I joined, the ups and downs of season one. My thoughts on how APAT should grow. What I think about card runners. You will not get any bad beat stories like how I played three STT last night, got aces three times and all got beat. You will not here how I played for 4 hours in an MTT only to bubble.

To follow on

I will leave you with this

You have made the second day of an APAT national as chip leader; you are dealt AJo in EP you raise you get a re-raise and an all-in back to you, what do you do? For the answer ask Sir Percival
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 17:04:54 PM by nosey-p »

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
Re: In the beginning
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 13:05:03 PM »
LOL at the last sentence. 

"In the beginning" a blog with attitude....way to go Nosey.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 21:01:06 PM »
Watching sky poker one night, this small grey haired wrinkled old man was rabbiting on about trains and train stations thinking that he must be the local nutter who had escaped from the local asylum I was reaching for the remote wondering if the playboy channel was on yet. When he started to talk about a new organisation called APAT and how it was amid at the recreational player. So I sat back put the remote down thinking that the free show on playboy did not start while 11, and listened to what this strange man had to say. After about two minutes, it was like he was talking about me someone who believed in himself but did not have the finance to achieve is goal. "Low buy-in tournaments with big buy-in starting stack giving you  the big game feel" are something on those lines, well it was two years ago I cannot remember exactly what he said. Then he went on to talk about things that only someone who was a card short of a full deck would understand, I think his name is Ironside
      The next day the latest edition of Pokerplayer fell through the letter box and in it was an article on APAT confirming that all what this old man (who would not look out of place in a nurseing home pushing a Zimmer frame around) was saying. The first thing that drew me to APAT was the structure of the on-line tournaments, at that time you could not get such a good structure for $20. The live bit did not interest me at first (more on this later) as it was good value at £75 but it was still out of my reach.
So the game began the first game of APAT on PS 200+ runners. Before the game had even started some Irish guy called Des was saying good luck to all the tables, "what a nice guy" I thought (more on him later). The one draw back was the wife; playing poker on a Saturday night was not her idea of a good time. But two bottles of wine later and she was fine. Five hours later I was on the final table, what I liked about it the most was the support of the other players who was watching the game, people who you have never met or spoke to before was wishing you luck and encouraging you, o and that guy called Des.
      Before this game my biggest buy-in was $5 (we all have to start somewhere) and the most I had won was about $200 so at $20 this was a big step up for me. The final table became heads up but unfortunately was unable to convert my 3 to 1 chip lead into a win but did get about $700 and a silver medal (I don"t what I liked the most the money or the medal, wait a minute.....it was the money)
        Two weeks later I FT again giving me the first back to back FT"s of APAT and I was first in the rankings this when I had my first run in with Des (what a nice guy)

.....more to follow

What do you do with AJ in EP on the final day of a national event?

Ask Sir percival
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 22:32:02 PM by Matt D »

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 21:48:04 PM »
Stop now.  Let"s get the book deal sorted before you post anymore.

This is great stuff.  Keep it up.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 22:29:48 PM »

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 23:27:19 PM »

I reckon now would be a good time to stop!

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:06:38 AM »

Who"s this Des guy he keeps mentioning......?

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 19:04:25 PM »
APAT goes live      

Feeling confident after my start to the season and now having the finance to enter the first APAT live tournament which was at Broadway, Birmingham. But how do you enter? Well it was done by a ballot, but I am ranked number one, I have played all the on-line games surely I will get a seat, won't I? NO I did not get one but I am ranked number one I have played all the on-line games surely they will make an a acceptation won't they, "NO" came back the answer from Des (what a nice man)

Talking point
      Now not being allowed to play and defend my lead was disappointing for me which was made more frustrating when I read the points was double in the live tournaments. So some won playing in their first game and finish in the top 8 will overtake me in the rankings. "This cannot be fair" went the e-mail "tough" the reply came back (that Des, what a nice man)

Your view 1
     What is the bigger achievement?
      Finishing 2nd and 6th in two on-line games with fields of over 200, in which everybody is allowed to enter or finishing on the FT of a field of 130 where only the lucky can play? Is it fair to have a championship where you are not allowed to play? (There were no qualifiers yet)
     Now I know the argument is "It's a bigger buy-in, it's a live game, it's over two days" but which is the biggest achievement? Remember at this point I have never played live so my only experience of poker is on the computer.

Your view 2
    Is on-line the same game as live? It's the same rules but is it the same game? Is there more skill playing live?

Over to you

Help wanted, how do you play AJo? Pleas PM Sir Percival with your answers    

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 22:27:57 PM »
It"s not even an argument  :D  it takes two days of head to head grind to get to an APAT live final table, while you can play in your boxers, with your feet up, online.

billyho10

• Silver Member
  • Team FNP
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:34:55 AM »
i was planning on playing at the irish national in my boxers with my feet up, is that not appropriate  :o
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time"

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »
Was thinking of the same thing, wait a minute I am not going. Make sure you have your camera with you      

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »
If you"d turned up at Broadway on the day, you"d have got a seat.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:18:05 AM »

It"s not even an argument  :D  it takes two days of head to head grind to get to an APAT live final table, while you can play in your boxers, with your feet up, online.

I usually do away with the boxers.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »

I usually do away with the boxers. 

Too much information! :-[
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »

If you"d turned up at Broadway on the day, you"d have got a seat.

I know that now, but it was the first one and there was no reserve list (I think)

I am a Y-front man myself :o