Author Topic: Duke attempts the Impossible  (Read 1351820 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: Duke attempts the Impossible
« Reply #585 on: April 21, 2009, 17:19:00 PM »

You are one serious luckbox.  They"ve pushed the mountain climb to the following week, so you"re 100% off the hook.  No guilt trips or sad puppy eyed looks.  Back to nothing but pints, sports and steaks.   ;)

You never stop trying do you FYP

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #586 on: April 21, 2009, 17:20:26 PM »
Whilst typing out the rabbit story, it occurred to me that I didn't really appreciate the green and pleasant land that is Ireland when I was younger.

For instance, the stunning scenery on the West coast of Clare was lost on me years ago. The only reason I would visit those places would be to have some craic. Therefore I would drive from A to B in as quick a time as possible and never even glance at the scenery. Arriving at B I would sprint from the car and into a pub to get some of the black stuff down my throat as quickly as possible.

When I revisited the area a few years ago I was astounded at the rugged beauty of the area. My eyes were well and truly opened.

The magnificent Cliffs of Moher, the unique fauna of the Burren, the unusual Ailwee caves, the dolmans, the list is endless.

Oh and the pubs are still there as well waiting to greet me on a cool autumn evening.

It must be an age thing...

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #587 on: April 21, 2009, 19:50:54 PM »
Oh well I am trying agin for dublin

Last nights notable hands

1. I took out the wee man KJ v22 ooops (see no collusion in the Chezger house)  ;D ;D ;D

ah :2h: in small blind (400/800/100)

UTG calls 800 I raise to 3,200 he calls

flop  ad1 4h jh

I go all in - he insta calls

and turns  qh td

turn  qc  I am still happy(ish)

and you guessed it

river  qd

gg wp nh and I get crippled and never recover go out with a push two hands later with  7s 8s

its a cruel game but I am in again tonight and will try again

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #588 on: April 22, 2009, 19:46:43 PM »
I walked into our kitchen at home one fine morning, and my mother was seated at the table having one of her one hundred cups of tea.

"You haven't forgotten that you promised to accompany the Old Folks on their pilgrimage to Croagh Patrick today?" she inquired sweetly knowing that I probably had.

FML I had agreed in a moment of madness to accompany 10 of the senior citizens in a mini bus on this pilgrimage. They obviously thought I was serious. No backing out now.

"Of course not, I am looking forward to it" I lied

Now Mt Croagh Patrick is a mountain near the town of Westport in County Mayo. St Patrick is said to have climbed it in 441 AD, he could have chosen a smaller one FFS. Each year, a few of the senior citizens make the trek to the top to pray at the stations of the cross, participate in Mass, do penance (in which case the rocky journey is undertaken barefoot or for the really bad sinners on their knees). There are three pilgrimage stations on the way to the summit of Croagh Patrick, each of which has a sign with instructions for the proper rituals and prayers.

When the time arrived and the Senior Citizens arrived I was not surprised to find that they were all women. My mother made the obligatory pot of tea and we waited for the mini bus. We all piled in and of course, as befits a holy pilgrimage, the prayers started. We prayed all the way to Westport, took a good few hours.

The piled out of the bus and started to take their shoes off. FFS we just covered 3-4 hours of the rosary, we can't be that much in need of penance. My job was to of course accompany them and help them along the way in any way possible. So off came the shoes.

We started at the base of the mountain, the first station, by walking around a mound of stones 7 times whilst saying 7 Our Fathers, 7 Hail Marys and 1 creed. I will go straight to heaven after that can I put my shoes back on please. no chance.

Now the mountain is approximately 2500 feet high and to get to the summit is a fecking long walk over stony paths that threaten to rip your feet apart if you were stupid enough to do it with your shoes off. I looked at the motley crew of women who looked as if a walk to the shops would do them in. FML I am in for a busy afternoon.

Who was I kidding the religious fervour in their brains was a drug that spurned them on and when we reached the summit, which took 3 hours, they were like excited school children and I was knackered, wheezing and coughing like an old man.

The second station is near the chapel and the prayer odds are ramped up. Kneel and say: 7 Our Fathers, 7 Hail Marys, 1 Creed, Pray near the chapel for the Pope"s intentions, Walk 15 times around the chapel while saying: 15 Our Fathers, 15 Hail Marys, Walk 7 times around Patrick"s Bed saying: 7 Our Fathers, 7 Hail Marys, 1 Creed. I was on the fast path to salvation..

I was a physical wreck at this point, but we still had the third station to do. This consisted of Walking 7 times around each mound of stones saying: 7 Our Fathers, 7 Hail Marys, 1 Creed and Walking 7 times around the whole enclosure praying. I was now being considered for canonisation.

I had to be assisted down by the fresh as a daisy Senior Citizens of Bodyke and I slept all the way home as the women prayed again for the whole trip. I surprised myself as I really enjoyed the trip and foolishly signed up for the next trip.

Priceless

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #589 on: April 25, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »
I am in Enfield North London for another system upgrade and will be fecking busy for the next few days. Apologies in advance if I neglect the blog.

Dan good luck in the Marathon tomorrow I hope to find a window in the day to rail you.

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #590 on: April 25, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »
Hi Ger,

Just a thought that you should maybe consider.........

Have you copyrighted any of these stories, I"m sure people would pay a great deal for the pleasure that these stories provide!

Obviously I would like a free copy of your forthcoming book   :D

Cheers

Ian
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #591 on: April 27, 2009, 15:52:02 PM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #592 on: April 28, 2009, 17:57:41 PM »
START OF RANT

The 2009 nominations for the Turner Prize have been announced.

Roger Hiorns.

He's the man, who, over the course of the year, sealed a disused south London bedsit and filled it with 90,000 litres of liquid copper sulphate and called it his "Cystal Cave" Oh, and he also exhibited a drain with flames escaping. He claims that his work is inspired by the problems of modern social architecture.

Enrico David

Arranges junk on the floor in no apparent order, and draws childish mannequin like things.

Lucy Skaer

Exhibits stuffed dolls and randomly splashed ink blots on walls

Richard Wright

Best known for drawing random X's on a wall

Purleeeese, I have said it before and I will say it again, it's not art, end of.

Does that mean that when the wee man barfed all over the hall wall, that instead of cleaning it up, I should have chiselled it out, framed it and sent it to the Tate claiming inspiration from the angst of a troubled teenager in today's throw away society.

They all claim various inspirations for their exhibits (I can't bring myself to say works of art). It is as plain as the nose on your face, their common inspiration is the fooling of normal people, getting money for feck all and claiming that this is art.

However if a short film of Felix the cat and Homer Simpson can win it, maybe I'm the pleb.

I look at this most years in the vain hope that one year a true artist will be nominated, ain't gonna happen.

RANT OVER

Cheers

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #593 on: April 28, 2009, 18:17:58 PM »

baldaceguy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #594 on: April 28, 2009, 20:51:44 PM »
If that was the Royal Chase just up the road from Chingford station i can fully agree splendid hotel.By the way some of your stories are bloody superb,please keep them coming.Cheers.

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #595 on: April 28, 2009, 23:14:36 PM »

START OF RANT

The 2009 nominations for the Turner Prize have been announced.

Roger Hiorns.

He's the man, who, over the course of the year, sealed a disused south London bedsit and filled it with 90,000 litres of liquid copper sulphate and called it his "Cystal Cave" Oh, and he also exhibited a drain with flames escaping. He claims that his work is inspired by the problems of modern social architecture.

Enrico David

Arranges junk on the floor in no apparent order, and draws childish mannequin like things.

Lucy Skaer

Exhibits stuffed dolls and randomly splashed ink blots on walls

Richard Wright

Best known for drawing random X's on a wall

Purleeeese, I have said it before and I will say it again, it's not art, end of.

Does that mean that when the wee man barfed all over the hall wall, that instead of cleaning it up, I should have chiselled it out, framed it and sent it to the Tate claiming inspiration from the angst of a troubled teenager in today's throw away society.

They all claim various inspirations for their exhibits (I can't bring myself to say works of art). It is as plain as the nose on your face, their common inspiration is the fooling of normal people, getting money for feck all and claiming that this is art.

However if a short film of Felix the cat and Homer Simpson can win it, maybe I'm the pleb.

I look at this most years in the vain hope that one year a true artist will be nominated, ain't gonna happen.

RANT OVER

Cheers

X
                                                    WALL

£million pound please!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #596 on: April 29, 2009, 00:41:31 AM »
Wee mans bad beat tonight

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #597 on: April 29, 2009, 19:11:16 PM »
Whenever I get down about my life I think of an occasion in my life where I was treated to a large slice of humility.

I played the IPO in Dublin in October 2007 and was humbled by a player at my table. He was in a wheelchair and could only move his head and the fingers on one hand. He had a minder that sat beside him and this minder would pick up the cards place them on his tray and lift them slowly for the man to see.

He would nod for a call, shake his head for a fold and tap the amount with his fingers for a raise. I had the pleasure of his company for 8 or 9 hours at the table and whatever about the physical disability he had a very sharp poker mind.

Put it all in perspective for me.....

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #598 on: April 29, 2009, 19:28:40 PM »

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #599 on: April 30, 2009, 01:07:47 AM »

Whenever I get down about my life I think of an occasion in my life where I was treated to a large slice of humility.

I played the IPO in Dublin in October 2007 and was humbled by a player at my table. He was in a wheelchair and could only move his head and the fingers on one hand. He had a minder that sat beside him and this minder would pick up the cards place them on his tray and lift them slowly for the man to see.

He would nod for a call, shake his head for a fold and tap the amount with his fingers for a raise. I had the pleasure of his company for 8 or 9 hours at the table and whatever about the physical disability he had a very sharp poker mind.

Put it all in perspective for me.....

Sean Jethi was his name.  Well known & respected (feared if he was at your table) player on the Dublin poker scene.  His Dad was usually the "minder" who travelled with him.  Amazing Lad.  Unfortunately he passed away Jan 19, 2008.  RIP