Author Topic: Duke attempts the Impossible  (Read 1351590 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: Duke attempts the Impossible
« Reply #660 on: May 16, 2009, 13:22:37 PM »
When Margaret was moved from Limerick to Raheen hospital you kinda knew that it was the beginning of the end. They never said as much, but Raheen is a hospice really and people sent there at her age didn't usually make it out.

Myself and the wee man went to see her when she was there and she was chipper enough and we were having a grand chat. Her ward was full of "senior" patients and do you know what it's great to talk to them. Despite their ailments they are great people to talk to, their outlook and stoicism is a lesson to us all.

In the bed next to Margaret there was a woman curled under the blankets fast asleep for the whole time we were there. Until dinner time that was. The dinner came round and we were going to leave but Margaret wanted us to stay. She tucked into the meager fayre, at least her appetite hadn't suffered.

Anyway the lady in the next bed came to life, she sat up, her hair all awry and proceeded to demolish the contents of the plate very, very, loudly. God could she eat. She looked like she had come down the mountain for the first time. It looked to all the world like she was from a different planet. All the time she was eating her wild eyes would scour the room defying anyone to come near her. She ate as if someone would come along and steal it from her if she let down her guard.

She finished, washed it down with a slug of water, belched loudly, dropped the greatest fart I have ever heard, rolled over and was asleep immediately.

"Who the hell is that?" I whispered to Margaret  
"It's your cousin" she grinned (She was my Father's first cousin as it turned out)

FML -- priceless

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #661 on: May 17, 2009, 13:40:02 PM »
Back from an enjoyable night at DTD, I ran pretty average for a while, but a couple of good solid clashes where I luckily won big pots helped me to the final table. Glenn also made it to the FT (well after the young lads performance the older genertion had to put up some kind of  fight)

Finished 8th when I shoved with my Poket pair and was called by AJ. Obligatory J on the river sent me to the rail. Glenn followed a little while later when his 10 10 shove was called by A 10 and the A hit of course.

Good night, great company, priceless

n.b. I hid my delight at lasting longer than the wee man for the first time live............

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #662 on: May 17, 2009, 14:21:50 PM »
Hid your delight?!  My phone rang at 2:41am met by a delighted giggling Ger on the other end.  I somehow doubt you hid your delight!  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL  Ah well, suppose you were bound to final table at some point.   ;D  Well done!   :-*

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #663 on: May 18, 2009, 18:36:22 PM »
Margaret bucked all the odds and survived a lot longer than anyone expected, so much so she was moved to a private Nursing Home in Killaloe. Now this was a fee paying home and as Margaret had a bit of cash they were charging her an arm and a leg for the privilege.

This state of affairs would of course deplete any savings the poor woman had, but there was feck all we could do about it. Anyway because she was paying you would think that the standard of care would be the best you could expect.

Myself and Gabrielle went to see her and were impressed with the overall look of the place. Lovely grounds, plush entrance foyer and friendly front desk staff. When we reached Margaret's room it was a different story however.

Her sheets were soiled and her eyelids were closed and she said she couldn't open them.

"Do they do anything for that" says I
"They tape them open sometimes and that's nice" says she
"Ger, don't do anything silly" says Gabrielle
"Ger!"
"Ger!"

Too late I was off down the corridor, I found a white coat walking towards me.

"You, who's in charge" says I
"I am the deputy administrator" says he backing off a couple of steps
"You'll do, come with me" I said

He followed meekly behind and we entered Margaret's room.

"Do you know this patient" says I
"Yes" says he
"She's a full fee paying patient is she not" says I
"Yes" squeaked he

"Then one, I want those sheets changed now and everyday" says I
"OK" says he
"Two, I want a nurse to tape her eyes open when she requests it" says I
"OK" says he
"Three, I want her checked very regularly everyday and her wishes catered for" says I
"OK" says he
"Now the Fourth Protocol in the corridor please" says I

Well in the corridor I let fly, I was spitting fire I was that angry. I did my whole Arnie bit about how I would be back and I threatened him with swift and painful actions if he did not take good care of Margaret. He spluttered an apology and promised to see to it.

Before we left a cast of thousands descended on the room and did all that was requested.

It makes my blood boil when elderly patients are left alone, primarily because they do not complain. They deserve a better duty of care.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #664 on: May 18, 2009, 19:57:26 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree Ger.
Mary Kivlin

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #665 on: May 18, 2009, 20:14:20 PM »
I want you in my next negotiation with Blue Square.  They occasionally require their eyes to be taped open also.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #666 on: May 19, 2009, 21:31:13 PM »
Duke is 5th of 30 in a wee $10 180 --- wish me luck

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #667 on: May 19, 2009, 21:51:11 PM »
GLGLGL! Railing you now.

janc

• Silver Member
« Reply #668 on: May 19, 2009, 22:08:05 PM »
Form is temporary, but class is permanent

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #669 on: May 19, 2009, 22:26:38 PM »
memo to self -- CALM DOWN

janc

• Silver Member
« Reply #670 on: May 19, 2009, 22:35:13 PM »
 :D

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #671 on: May 19, 2009, 23:00:44 PM »
Just woke from a nap.  On the way!!!

janc

• Silver Member
« Reply #672 on: May 19, 2009, 23:12:37 PM »
 jd 9s for the win eh
lol

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #673 on: May 19, 2009, 23:13:09 PM »

jd 9s
lol

Forget lol, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

janc

• Silver Member
« Reply #674 on: May 19, 2009, 23:22:47 PM »
ul