Author Topic: Duke attempts the Impossible  (Read 1351730 times)

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Re: Duke attempts the Impossible
« Reply #1050 on: September 10, 2009, 20:35:13 PM »

I had a meeting with my IT Director today and was asked.....

"Are all your duck"s in a row"

FFS WTF is that all about

... was he/she carrying a gun?

L

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1051 on: September 10, 2009, 20:53:05 PM »
My Broadband feels the same sometimes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8248056.stm

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1052 on: September 11, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »
Right a quick whip round the house, iron a couple of shirts, fill the car with juice, pick Laxie up from the airport, drive to Leeds, park the car till Monday, get hammered and lose another weekend.

Have  missed anything ???

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1053 on: September 11, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »

Have I missed anything ???

Just the "I"

Have a good weekend.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1054 on: September 11, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »

Right a quick whip round the house, iron a couple of shirts, fill the car with juice, pick Laxie up from the airport, drive to Leeds, park the car till Monday, get hammered and lose another weekend.

Have  missed anything ???

My coat!!!!  Please and thank you.   ;D

At Cork airport.  Have just done the whole security thing, but the feckers made me take my knee high boots off before going through the metal detectors.  Sighhhhhhhhh.  I dressed for my night out tonight hoping to save time.  Now there"s some interesting CCTV footage of Laxie"s attempt to be "lady like" whilst falling out of her top.  Marvellous. 

Ah well, at the bar now as I"m pretty sure I get to keep the boots on from here.  Corona count - on me second.  Light weight.  Almost there Ger!  Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:46:22 PM by Laxie »

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • Vague memories of being in Vegas
« Reply #1055 on: September 14, 2009, 00:52:55 AM »

To get one"s ducks in a row essentially means to ensure all of the small details or elements are accounted for and in their proper positions before embarking on a new project. A defense attorney, for example, may spend much of his or her time making sure all of the evidence and witnesses are presented in a precise, effective order. A salesman may get all of his or her "ducks in a row" by rehearsing his sales presentation beforehand. When a person is fully prepared for any eventuality and has every element in place, he or she can indeed be said to have his or her ducks in a row.

Example - if your fridge is stocked with beer before a home game, you could answer yes to the question. Now do you understand???
APAT Scotland runner up 2008
APAT Sotland final table 2009
If it's not in Scotland you can forget it!

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1056 on: September 14, 2009, 14:06:43 PM »

To get one"s ducks in a row essentially means to ensure all of the small details or elements are accounted for and in their proper positions before embarking on a new project. A defense attorney, for example, may spend much of his or her time making sure all of the evidence and witnesses are presented in a precise, effective order. A salesman may get all of his or her "ducks in a row" by rehearsing his sales presentation beforehand. When a person is fully prepared for any eventuality and has every element in place, he or she can indeed be said to have his or her ducks in a row.

Example - if your fridge is stocked with beer before a home game, you could answer yes to the question. Now do you understand???

The phrase derives from an ancient Chinese dynasty whereby the rich would house their concubines in one house but the very rich could afford separate houses for each and would be proud to show that they had several adjoining individual houses occupied by a single concubine each; literally having all their concubines in a row. This phrase then passed down the centuries even when the original practice no longer occurred. The northern Chinese word for concubine is similar to the word for duke and was mistranslated as such when the English came to China. At some point duke became corrupted to duck, leaving us with the irritating cliche beloved by brain-dead middle managers today, ala singing from the same hymnsheet, thinking outside the box, heads-up (origin unknown), etc. Perhaps your Director was aware of the duke connection and was enjoying a little play-on-words at your expense.

5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1057 on: September 14, 2009, 15:12:22 PM »

The phrase derives from an ancient Chinese dynasty whereby the rich would house their concubines in one house but the very rich could afford separate houses for each and would be proud to show that they had several adjoining individual houses occupied by a single concubine each; literally having all their concubines in a row. This phrase then passed down the centuries even when the original practice no longer occurred. The northern Chinese word for concubine is similar to the word for duke and was mistranslated as such when the English came to China. At some point duke became corrupted to duck, leaving us with the irritating cliche beloved by brain-dead middle managers today, ala singing from the same hymnsheet, thinking outside the box, heads-up (origin unknown), etc. Perhaps your Director was aware of the duke connection and was enjoying a little play-on-words at your expense.

so, is Ger a concubine? or a corrupted duck?

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #1058 on: September 14, 2009, 15:27:37 PM »

so, is Ger a concubine? or a corrupted duck?

After the weekend just gone, I refuse to answer that question.   ;)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1059 on: September 14, 2009, 15:53:49 PM »
At home - not too good - will sleep for the rest of the day

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1060 on: September 14, 2009, 16:20:50 PM »

At home - not too good - will sleep for the rest of the day

that"ll be a wasted duck then!  :D
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

janc

• Silver Member
« Reply #1061 on: September 14, 2009, 19:47:29 PM »
Where I live everyone is "Duck"
Form is temporary, but class is permanent

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1062 on: September 14, 2009, 23:25:54 PM »
A whole new level was hit this week-end.  Dunno.  Don"t think it can ever be topped.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #1063 on: September 15, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »

A whole new level was hit this week-end.  Dunno.  Don"t think it can ever be topped.

Excuse me, I think I am going to have to ask you to leave this thread.   ;)

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1064 on: September 15, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »

Excuse me, I think I am going to have to ask you to leave this thread.   ;)

Sigh.  Just sigh!