Author Topic: Duke attempts the Impossible  (Read 1358918 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: Duke attempts the Impossible
« Reply #1170 on: October 18, 2009, 14:01:34 PM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1171 on: October 18, 2009, 15:30:34 PM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1172 on: October 19, 2009, 18:12:41 PM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1173 on: October 19, 2009, 18:21:20 PM »
20,000 views of this topic is humbling in the extreme. Thank you for reading.  

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1174 on: October 19, 2009, 19:05:02 PM »
Enjoying this Ger, I await the next installment.
Mary Kivlin

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1175 on: October 20, 2009, 17:53:49 PM »
Anyway today was Sunday so after breakfast we got ready and toddled off to midday mass to gain some celestial credits.

After mass the ould lad decided that we would head off down the coast road and cross the Shannon on the car ferry. My Ma and me flipped for the danger seat and she lost and took up position in the shotgun.

We headed off down the coast road and as usual the ould lad was driving with complete abandon down the single track roads and I was soon feeling a little queasy from all the buffeting I was getting in the back. We went to Loop Head lighthouse and spent the requisite 30 seconds looking at it, until the ould lad shooed us into the car and we set off to the ferry.

I was hanging on for dear life for most of the trip and we arrived at the ferry and it was in on our side and we drove straight on. The ould lad of course complained bitterly, and loudly, about the price as we climbed out of the car for the 10 minute trip.

"Hey look, there's a funfair in Tarbert" says the ould lad
"You going on any wild rides" says my Ma
"Just had a fecking 40 minute one" says I

This elicited a withering look from the ould lad but he kept his counsel. We drove off the other side and found a nice pub for lunch washed down with one of the nicest pints of Guinness I have tasted. I could have stayed there all day but speedy Gonzales had other ideas and we headed back to the ferry.

I lost the flip and was in the front.

We had to wait for the ferry to cross which didn't improve the ould lad's temper. So much so that when we boarded, he was a tad enthusiastic with the loading and bumped into the car in front. Not a huge bump, but a bump none the less. He spent the whole trip across arguing with the other driver about how he braked too soon. FFS if he didn't brake he would have driven off the ferry into the Shannon.

As the damage was minimal they agreed that each of them was a complete b@stard and left it at that. The trip back was the usual mad roller coaster but we got back in one piece.

Thank God that night was fightless, swimless and Da singingless, and we retired for the night content with the world.

Contd..

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1176 on: October 20, 2009, 18:01:41 PM »
LOL loving this
Mary Kivlin

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1177 on: October 20, 2009, 20:00:15 PM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1178 on: October 21, 2009, 17:20:02 PM »
On the Monday after breakfast my Mother and me were just in the process of flipping for the ejector seat when the ould lad announced that today would be a day on the beach.

To be fair, it was a lovely day and although on the warmest of days the Atlantic was still cold, it would be nice to relax. We picked up some beach towels and a rug and I went to change into my swimming costume. I arrived out and they were still in civvies.

"You not going for a swim" says I
"Of course we are" says the ould lad
"Where's your cossy then" says I
"I'm not walking across the road undressed" says he
"They are under our street clothes" says my Ma

I didn't ask how they were going to change back after swimming on a public beach. Better left unsaid..

We crossed the road and down the steps to the beach, which was not really crowded and spread the rug. I deposited my towel and headed for the ocean. The water was bound to be freezing, but being the hard man (show off?) I just ran into the water and dived into the surf.

OMG it was fecking freezing and I thought my heart had stopped, but after the initial shock it was quite pleasant and the waves were high enough for a bit of body surfing. I was enjoying myself when I noticed a rather cute thing in a bikini testing the water with her toe.

I wandered over and gave her a bit of encouragement and she slowly dipped down eventually immersing herself in the water. We were getting on like a house on fire when I saw her staring at the beach with a look of amazement. I followed her line of sight.

FFS it was like a scene out of "Upstairs Downstairs" my mother had a one piece swimsuit on that was high in the collar and I swear it would not have looked out of place at a Victorian beach party. The ould lad has a costume on and, how can I describe it? Remember Kirk Douglas in "Spartacus" with the costume high up on the waist, well apart from the physique that was what the suit was like.

They made an absolute picture walking down arm in arm to the waters edge.

"Who are they" sniggered the wee girl
"My parents" I sighed
"Oh I am sorry" says she
"Not as sorry as I am" says I "Watch though, this should be good".

The ould lad unlinked from my mothers arm and strode into the water, and strode twice as quick out, trying to make his retreat look dignified and failing miserably. My mother walked up to about waist height.

"Come on Michael it's not that bad" says she

Not to be outdone the ould lad walked up beside her and she promptly pushed him hard in the chest so that he fell back with a splash. He got up spluttering and delivered the same to my mother.

The row started in earnest then with words and pushes galore. I went to separate them and as I did they stopped and were in hysterics splashing at each other like little children. I left them alone.

"Nice people, they seem to know how to enjoy themselves" says the wee girl
"Hmm, stick around, tonight could get lively" says I
"I'd love to" says she looking me straight in the eye

We had a great day at the beach and when we were leaving I made arrangements to meet the wee girl (Anne) in the local that night around 8pm. We were in the pub from around 7.30 and when 8 came there was no sign of the wee girl. I was beginning to think that this was the shortest holiday romance on record and the ould lad was rubbing in it a bit.

At 8.30 Anne walked in looking a bit flustered.

"Sorry I am late there is a little trouble at the farm and I can only stay for one" says she
"What's up?" says I

Well it transpired that her parents ran a donkey sanctuary just out of town and a couple of the animals were not well and she had only managed to get away for a wee while and had to go back.

"Ger will go back and help you tonight, he loves donkeys" says the ould lad
"Oh would you" says Anne

FFS as most of you may know my encounters with donkeys were disastrous to put it mildly and I shot a glare at the ould lad who was looking like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

What could I do, Anne was looking at me expectantly so ..

"Of course I will, I would love to" I lied

FML me and a dozen donkeys.. Great..

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #1179 on: October 21, 2009, 17:36:32 PM »

FML me and a dozen donkeys.. Great..

Just a normal day at the APAT races  ;D
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1180 on: October 21, 2009, 17:49:24 PM »
Get the bacardi out and plan to be sat here for the night finishing up on this holiday tale - because dragging it out for days is obscenely unfair!!!

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1181 on: October 21, 2009, 17:54:14 PM »
told you one finger typing is painful - i"ll dictate you type  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1182 on: October 21, 2009, 18:06:46 PM »

told you one finger typing is painful - i"ll dictate you type  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yer on!  Ring me and I"ll type away for ya.  At the very least, I"ll know how the story finishes.  lolol

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #1183 on: October 21, 2009, 19:02:45 PM »
Christ, how can you stop now - I"ve got a train journey from Leeds to fill ;)

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1184 on: October 21, 2009, 21:12:52 PM »
Could be worse, you could be GOING TO Leeds :)