Author Topic: APAT Live Streaming  (Read 21489 times)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
APAT Live Streaming
« on: December 10, 2015, 15:28:04 PM »
We would really value some feedback on the live streaming trial that we undertook in Newcastle two weeks ago guys.

As a reminder, we had a multi-camera setup that allowed us to cover two tables with a flop cam on the feature table.  We had a commentary stream from Leigh across day 1 & 2, both on his own, but also interviewing players at the tables and as they were leaving.  Lucy and David Amos gave us a two person commentary team for the final table.

We learned lots of things over the weekend in how to operate the equipment while integrating chip counts, tweets and adverts into the stream.  We made lots of mistakes in the process, but will be a lot sharper for the experience if we continue to live stream.

We were able to distribute the live stream within the APAT forum in addition to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter (we can add Twitch).  The stream was also recorded and sits on our YouTube channel so attendees can watch the event on returning home from Newcastle (scroll through timeline on the embedded video below as commentary is missing in some of the early segments).

It will be very difficult to run a good live stream and a good forum update together.  The live stream would allow us to interact with forum questions, calls or tweets during the event and potentially open APAT up to a new audience via the channels above.  So I"m leaning in that direction.  But what do you guys think?

Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: APAT Live Streaming
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 15:31:42 PM »
I have to say a big thank you to Leigh in particular, who put a lot of preparation and time into delivering the stream in Newcastle.  It was really a first class contribution and it was great to see him back behind the APAT table.  Thanks also to Lucy who had to really change the way she works due to the stream being present.  She adapted fabulously and did a great stint in commentary with her dad on Sunday.

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 22:05:19 PM »
I didnt like it..........................................

I LOVED IT!... Just like the good old days  :)

Was worried that the camera that recorded the flop, turn and river positioned in between  seat 5&6, would make the cards upside down but looked great  ;).
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 22:16:20 PM »
I know I"ve not been on here in, erm, years, but I liked the original video attempts of 4 or 5 years ago - it sounds like the video streaming has progressed somewhat, which can only be good.

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 22:20:23 PM »
I watched a couple of times and was very impressed with the quality. Didn"t get a chance to listen to the commentary.

The only piece that I thought may need improving is the fixing of the camera for the cards on the flop. It seemed that it was fixed to the table and wobbled a lot in response to the players moving.  If you can stop the wobble it will be perfect.
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 23:03:53 PM »

Was worried that the camera that recorded the flop, turn and river positioned in between  seat 5&6, would make the cards upside down but looked great  ;).

Too good.  I laughed then, I"m laughing now. :)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »

Too good.  I laughed then, I"m laughing now. :)

It"s amazing how quickly the eye adapts to the upside down cards...  ::)

jockey

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 14:40:22 PM »
Great idea  ad1
Yorkshire team member luton 2013 
UKCOAP GOLD MEDAL WINNER 2013                                                                    LBPN team member stoke 2014
LBPN team member Manchester 2014 LBPN team member 16/17.
PUNTERS LOUNGE TEAM GOLD MEDAL WINNERS 2018

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 16:28:52 PM »
I watched the stream and enjoyed it, Leigh and everyone involved did a fine job.  

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
Just having a look back over this, and am slightly worried that this is going to mean a move towards no forum updates and streaming only?

IMO the live updates are an integral part of the APAT weekend, I know that when I play my mum and friends all watch the updates to see if I get mentioned and see how I am getting on, I am guessing it will be the same with others.

In recent events the updates have been nothing short of superb, Lucy has done a great job, and in Newcastle, while the addition of the stream was more than welcome, at times the update thread was totally neglected, and when you have a room full of people who folks want to keep track of, having 2 tables at most covered doesnt really cut it IMO.

I think that the stream should be a supplement to, not instead of, the live updates. There have been events recently where Facebook was used for updates, and I think it was agreed that they didnt really work either, while there isnt as much interaction on the thread nowadays, people still want it there to read, and look back on as time goes by.

Just thought I would add my opinion to add some balance, Im sure, as a;ways, that you will take everything on board and come to the right decision for APAT  :)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »

IMO the live updates are an integral part of the APAT weekend, I know that when I play my mum and friends all watch the updates to see if I get mentioned and see how I am getting on

FYP x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:53:54 AM »

Just having a look back over this, and am slightly worried that this is going to mean a move towards no forum updates and streaming only?

IMO the live updates are an integral part of the APAT weekend, I know that when I play my mum and friends all watch the updates to see if I get mentioned and see how I am getting on, I am guessing it will be the same with others.

In recent events the updates have been nothing short of superb, Lucy has done a great job, and in Newcastle, while the addition of the stream was more than welcome, at times the update thread was totally neglected, and when you have a room full of people who folks want to keep track of, having 2 tables at most covered doesnt really cut it IMO.

I think that the stream should be a supplement to, not instead of, the live updates. There have been events recently where Facebook was used for updates, and I think it was agreed that they didnt really work either, while there isnt as much interaction on the thread nowadays, people still want it there to read, and look back on as time goes by.

Just thought I would add my opinion to add some balance, Im sure, as a;ways, that you will take everything on board and come to the right decision for APAT  :)

+1 hate to agree with Stu!!

Streaming is an excellent ADDITION.. Really enjoy watching whilst the kids are quiet.. But nothing will ever replace the live updates IMO. Also would keep the forum traffic higher with live updates, and on a completely selfish basis, I enjoy trawling back through the live updates of yesteryear esp if I ran deep, it brings back great memories.
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 20:19:39 PM »

+1 hate to agree with Stu!!

Streaming is an excellent ADDITION.. Really enjoy watching whilst the kids are quiet.. But nothing will ever replace the live updates IMO. Also would keep the forum traffic higher with live updates, and on a completely selfish basis, I enjoy trawling back through the live updates of yesteryear esp if I ran deep, it brings back great memories.

+1
(apart from the run deep bit)
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »

IMO the live updates are an integral part of the APAT weekend, I know that when I play my mum and friends all watch the updates to see if I get mentioned and see how I am getting on

FYP x

WPWPWPWP
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 12:47:43 PM »
I"m really looking forward to Luton (technology permitting).  We learnt so much in Newcastle about what works, what doesn"t, what"s needed and what I thought was needed but in fact is more hassle than it"s worth.

I think we will find the right balance of reporting.  Not sure we"ll have it perfect at Luton, partly because the team event is a bit of a one-off each year, but we"re going to have another good go at giving people at home a flavour of what"s going on, whilst leaving a story for those that were there to read as days, weeks and years go by.

Keep the feedback coming, and don"t forget, none of this works without the interaction and involvement of the APAT community.  If you want good event reporting, then just add a little to the updates.  If everyone does that, then it becomes a much richer and wider read/watch.