Author Topic: APAT Live Streaming  (Read 21490 times)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: APAT Live Streaming
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 13:21:21 PM »

I"m really looking forward to Luton (technology permitting).  We learnt so much in Newcastle about what works, what doesn"t, what"s needed and what I thought was needed but in fact is more hassle than it"s worth.

I think we will find the right balance of reporting.  Not sure we"ll have it perfect at Luton, partly because the team event is a bit of a one-off each year, but we"re going to have another good go at giving people at home a flavour of what"s going on, whilst leaving a story for those that were there to read as days, weeks and years go by.

Keep the feedback coming, and don"t forget, none of this works without the interaction and involvement of the APAT community.  If you want good event reporting, then just add a little to the updates.  If everyone does that, then it becomes a much richer and wider read/watch. 

That was the problem in Newcastle, the update thread was practically none existent, it felt like there was literally no one manning it. This is where most people will go to find out what is happening IMO. The stream is a great additional tool to have, but it needs to be in addition to, not at the detriment of, the written updates.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

IrishTom

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 13:42:47 PM »

I"m really looking forward to Luton (technology permitting).  We learnt so much in Newcastle about what works, what doesn"t, what"s needed and what I thought was needed but in fact is more hassle than it"s worth.

I think we will find the right balance of reporting.  Not sure we"ll have it perfect at Luton, partly because the team event is a bit of a one-off each year, but we"re going to have another good go at giving people at home a flavour of what"s going on, whilst leaving a story for those that were there to read as days, weeks and years go by.

Keep the feedback coming, and don"t forget, none of this works without the interaction and involvement of the APAT community.  If you want good event reporting, then just add a little to the updates.  If everyone does that, then it becomes a much richer and wider read/watch. 

That was the problem in Newcastle, the update thread was practically none existent, it felt like there was literally no one manning it. This is where most people will go to find out what is happening IMO. The stream is a great additional tool to have, but it needs to be in addition to, not at the detriment of, the written updates.

I don"t have the brain capacity of Lucy/Leigh/Des... trying to blog whilst having to at times push one button on a laptop... ume... help!

But I"m confident as Leigh says, we"ll get the balance right... maybe not 100% in Luton as again that will be a learning curve and during such a busy/large event... but beyond that "on the tour" if we are to retain the addition of live stream then I am confident for Season 10 going forward.

Facebook: Tom Brady (Plymouth)
Twitter: TomBradyLPPL

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 13:48:37 PM »

I don"t have the brain capacity of Lucy/Leigh/Des... trying to blog whilst having to at times push one button on a laptop... ume... help!

But I"m confident as Leigh says, we"ll get the balance right... maybe not 100% in Luton as again that will be a learning curve and during such a busy/large event... but beyond that "on the tour" if we are to retain the addition of live stream then I am confident for Season 10 going forward.

Sorry, I dont want to seem like I am having personal digs at people, I am definitely not, you all do a fantastic job, I jsut think it would be a massive shame to see the update threads fall by the wayside is all.

I have said to Des that if I am out, I am willing to help out, be it on the update thread or the Live stream at any event I am at.
England C Captain 2012

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 23:35:14 PM »

Sorry, I dont want to seem like I am having personal digs at people, I am definitely not, you all do a fantastic job, I jsut think it would be a massive shame to see the update threads fall by the wayside is all.

I have said to Des that if I am out, I am willing to help out, be it on the update thread or the Live stream at any event I am at.

Might need an over 18 filter with you on commentary though.

Seriously I agree with Stu about the live updates, but also think it is important that we all contribute. Player participation is important to the best live update and what has caused them to not be so good lately at least in part is nobody posts on the things.

Let"s get some banter and updates from the players themselves going and we will have a great update thread
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
Really enjoyed my time helping out in Luton, and after seeing all the hard work that goes in, I have a greater appreciation of the whole system.

I think that it is probably important to have BOTH going forward. The Live Stream was excellent, and great fun to work on. Leigh is superb on it, and makes it easy to do. The live update thread still needs to be used fully though. Im not sure what the viewing figures were like, but I would imagine the thread still got more views, both from people wanting updates on people they know, and players looking back on it after the tournament.

I understand though, that the logistics of doing both may be rather difficult, but it is important to find a balance IMO.
England C Captain 2012

IrishTom

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »

Don"t worry Stu it wasn"t taken that way, and thanks for the updates and live stream in Luton, and I"ll not hesitate to shout your name at future events if we need the help mate thank you.
Facebook: Tom Brady (Plymouth)
Twitter: TomBradyLPPL

DodgyEnd (Tom APAT.be)

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Belgium
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
Was the live stream taped so we could watch it again on Youtube or something?

I was in the event so I didn"t watch the stream but a friend of mine who was watching said that on Saturday the sound wasn"t that good and it was much better on Sunday.

Also the camera position on Day 1 was pretty bad, and it pretty much only showed the back of one of the players :)
On day 2 the camera was set a lot higher which gave a much better overview of the table.
APAT Belgium

Bwin: Kayden2012 --- Pokerstars: DodgyEnd
Captain of Team Belgium (silver medal ECOAP 2013)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 13:37:45 PM »
Luton Day One

Luton Day Two

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 13:41:47 PM »

Was the live stream taped so we could watch it again on Youtube or something?

I was in the event so I didn"t watch the stream but a friend of mine who was watching said that on Saturday the sound wasn"t that good and it was much better on Sunday.

Also the camera position on Day 1 was pretty bad, and it pretty much only showed the back of one of the players :)
On day 2 the camera was set a lot higher which gave a much better overview of the table.

I think you"re friend is right about the sound on the first day.  We switched to just one microphone as we were getting a bit of echo and this seemed to improve it.  Having watched bits back, I"m also aware that different commentators speak at different volumes, and we need to work on finding a middle range that doesn"t mean the viewer need to mess with their volume.

Cameras around the table are difficult as we try not to be intrusive to those playing, but also need to provide a good picture for those watching to see what"s happening and not just rely on us commentating on a wide shot of the table.

Not sure we have got that balance quite right yet, but we"re a very mobile and cost effective setup, so will continue to look for solutions to improve it further.

Kinester

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 17:34:59 PM »
If you guys could stream on Twitch then think that would be good. PokerStars are streaming the EPT Dublin on there now and just nice and easy to use. Only thing that does bother me is when the final tables are shown cards up as you tend to have the whole of the final table glued to their phones.

Guess also with twitch it will get people who are unaware of APAT watching.