Author Topic: Game for Vegas Travellers - The $20 sandwich  (Read 11756 times)

Delboy

• Silver Member
  • Its not about the Poker
Game for Vegas Travellers - The $20 sandwich
« on: March 03, 2011, 20:41:31 PM »
Inspired by this thread on Fat Wallet

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-discussion/529706/?start=0

I propose a little game for all those going to Vegas this year.

We must all try the $20 sandwich and post results here. The person who bags the most impressive upgrade will be declared APAT champion freeloader 2011.

Results to be posted in same format as the Fat wallet thread.

Delboy

• Silver Member
Re: Game for Vegas Travellers - The $20 sandwich
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 20:43:21 PM »
more details and tips

http://www.frontdesktip.com/

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 21:19:55 PM »
I was planning on trying this anyway but it is disappointing to see that it looks like giving you free upgrades is officially against the Caesar"s group policy - so for everyone planning on staying at Harrah"s, Bally"s, Caesar"s etc it might not be as easy as it used to be.

I did intend to use this trick when I checked in to the Vegas Hilton the last time but I bottled it changed my mind.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:35:28 AM »

I was planning on trying this anyway but it is disappointing to see that it looks like giving you free upgrades is officially against the Caesar"s group policy - so for everyone planning on staying at Harrah"s, Bally"s, Caesar"s etc it might not be as easy as it used to be.

I did intend to use this trick when I checked in to the Vegas Hilton the last time but I bottled it changed my mind.

Jon....I confess I haven"t tried it myself but my reading in it is that it does (or did) work at most CET properties EXCEPT for Caesars Palace....which might be what you"re referring to.

Of course, your information might be more current than mine.....I don"t keep track of this much any more.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »

Jon....I confess I haven"t tried it myself but my reading in it is that it does (or did) work at most CET properties EXCEPT for Caesars Palace....which might be what you"re referring to.

Of course, your information might be more current than mine.....I don"t keep track of this much any more.

Towards the middle of last year there are a few posts on the fatwallet thread where people were told it was against the group policy - having said that they are clustered together, so it might be that this policy was either changed back or the policing of it got complacent.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 21:15:05 PM »
Pretty sure at the lower end (from my research on it anyway) that it works...and by lower end I mean Harrah"s, Bally"s, Paris and IP.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

gallowgate

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 19:04:47 PM »
Flamingo Feb 2011

Bog standard room booked,offered $20 no upgrade,money returned,said they couldn"t do it anymore.Did sweetalk a late checkout as the BA flight doesn"t leave till 8pm.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 19:18:50 PM »

Flamingo Feb 2011

Bog standard room booked,offered $20 no upgrade,money returned,said they couldn"t do it anymore.Did sweetalk a late checkout as the BA flight doesn"t leave till 8pm.

I do know that the FlamingO have been told they cannot upgrade to a GO room...but you might score a view..if that floats your boat.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Luke1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 17:22:13 PM »
Will defnitely give it a go. Nothing to lose by doing it!

Very excited about this Vegas trip. Will be my first apperance out in the States!
The Executioner

VBlue

• Silver Member
    • Northern Poker Stars
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 15:22:42 PM »
I"ve only stayed in Las Vegas once, at The Mirage (highly recommended).  We were upgraded from a Tower Suite to a Penthouse without asking or tipping.

I couldn"t be seen to be doing either as this was on my in-laws and they were stood with us at the check-in desk and my missus asked me not to try the $20 trick.  Result.

Penthouse was awesome; the view down the strip and overlooking the pool was amazing.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 14:14:00 PM »

Will defnitely give it a go. Nothing to lose by doing it!

Very excited about this Vegas trip. Will be my first apperance out in the States!

$20??
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 19:02:12 PM »
Any luck anyone?

I didn"t tip at Ballys and just asked nicely for a room that was on a high floor.

That got me an upgrade from a Classic room in the South Tower to a deluxe room in the North Tower.

Whilst definitely an upgrade the North tower had better rooms but the South had better views - so swings and roundabouts.

Scheduled check in time for Caesars was 15:00, my first test of their customer service was that I decided I"d much rather check in at about 08:30. And when I did so I made sure to include a $20 note in my passport so that when they asked for ID I asked if they could check for any complimentary upgrades.

Binkety Bink - Upgrade-aments; I had a classic room in the Forum Tower booked and my tip managed to get me an upgrade to a junior suite (although I notice on the website they call them premium rooms). It doesn"t alter the fact that they"re absolutely enormous and they normally cost over double the price of the Forum Tower classic rooms.

So I was completely wrong about Caesars group cracking down on free upgrades - I"m not too fussed about it though  ;D
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Delboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 19:14:34 PM »

Any luck anyone?

I didn"t tip at Ballys and just asked nicely for a room that was on a high floor.

That got me an upgrade from a Classic room in the South Tower to a deluxe room in the North Tower.

Whilst definitely an upgrade the North tower had better rooms but the South had better views - so swings and roundabouts.

Scheduled check in time for Caesars was 15:00, my first test of their customer service was that I decided I"d much rather check in at about 08:30. And when I did so I made sure to include a $20 note in my passport so that when they asked for ID I asked if they could check for any complimentary upgrades.

Binkety Bink - Upgrade-aments; I had a classic room in the Forum Tower booked and my tip managed to get me an upgrade to a junior suite (although I notice on the website they call them premium rooms). It doesn"t alter the fact that they"re absolutely enormous and they normally cost over double the price of the Forum Tower classic rooms.

So I was completely wrong about Caesars group cracking down on free upgrades - I"m not too fussed about it though  ;D

Nice move Jon WP

Thought that it would be a difficult task given that I was staying for a week, and besides, I was so excited when we checked in I nearly forgot my own name let alone ask for an upgrade. Next time I"ll give it a go.

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »

Any luck anyone?

so I made sure to include a $20 note in my passport ...where did you find that ;) ;)
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.