Author Topic: 888 terms and conditions - Inactive accounts beware  (Read 43018 times)

gareth888

Re: 888 terms and conditions - Inactive accounts beware
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »

good post gareth and good follow up mr Duffy, probably enough to make me approach with an open mind...in reality it"s never likely to cost me more than a few hundred quid but i think all the sites i"ve stopped playing are usually down to near zero anyway.

A suggestion might be that the sites could in fact just return the money to our cards/deposit method 10% at a time...(bet you get a response to random payments appearing in our accounts :) ) assuming the card registered with the site is still active of course which there might be a good chance of within 6 months.

Quick question for gareth, you mentioned a download free client...does this mean i can use my iphone ? (i guess through safari?)

We are also not allowed to process a deposit or withdrawal without a member instigating it (authenticating by being logged into the client or answering security questions over the phone).

The webbased version is flash so only on non-iphone broswers. But the flashversion is not in sync with features of the download version so I dont recommend it. It will be in sync soon and we will have iphone apllication later in year we hope.

gareth888

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »

Thanks to Gareth for taking the time to respond.

I do take issue with his comment about players receiving an email to warn them about their imminent deduction. I don"t remember receiving this and when I spoke to support they never mentioned that they sent me an email despite me suggesting that it would have been good practice to do so.

However, they have given me $30. I like the software and the tourneys on this site, so will certainly carry on playing on the site, APAT sponsorship or not.

One question still nags away at me though. And it has yet to be answered by support or anyone else at 888. Maybe Gareth can help?

If you take 10% each month, how come my account is (or was) on $0? it is impossible for this to happen. I asked last week for a statement to be sent with the relevant deductions on. A week later, I"m still waiting.

There is for sure email warnings at the very least, they run on certain days of each month. This is for sure.

I think once there is  small residual amount in month 12 it"s cleared. I cannot remember the exact formula but you can find in the terms and conditions.

Robbiebox

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 14:40:19 PM »

We are also not allowed to process a deposit or withdrawal without a member instigating it

This is similar to the situation that always made me laugh with frustration with banks when a direct debit fails because of insufficient funds, yet they will withdraw a "fee" from the account......strange there seems to be funds in there to do that ! LOL

Gareth, seriously if you cant process a withdrawal from an account, then how can you withdraw from an account into your own funds ????
2010 WCOAP HORSE Silver
2011 WCOAP STUD Gold
2011 WCOAP Online OMAHA HI/Lo Gold
2012 GUKPT Bolton PLO Champion
2014 WCOAP OMAHA HI/LO Silver
2018 WCOAP TRIPLE STUD Gold
2019 The COUNTIES Gold

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 14:46:54 PM »

Gareth, seriously if you cant process a withdrawal from an account, then how can you withdraw from an account into your own funds ????

There"s a difference between a withdrawal to an external institution and a transfer/fee payment to another of 888"s accounts.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2011, 16:40:16 PM »

good post gareth and good follow up mr Duffy, probably enough to make me approach with an open mind...in reality it"s never likely to cost me more than a few hundred quid but i think all the sites i"ve stopped playing are usually down to near zero anyway.

A suggestion might be that the sites could in fact just return the money to our cards/deposit method 10% at a time...(bet you get a response to random payments appearing in our accounts :) ) assuming the card registered with the site is still active of course which there might be a good chance of within 6 months.

Quick question for gareth, you mentioned a download free client...does this mean i can use my iphone ? (i guess through safari?)
HI alland23 IF im not going 2 vegas cuold i go on the safari with you . but i really would not bring my phone it would get broke 2 easy

gareth888

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 18:11:55 PM »

We are also not allowed to process a deposit or withdrawal without a member instigating it

This is similar to the situation that always made me laugh with frustration with banks when a direct debit fails because of insufficient funds, yet they will withdraw a "fee" from the account......strange there seems to be funds in there to do that ! LOL

Come on....

It"s common sense.  We cannot take from your credit card or debit card or neteller etc without you AGREEING to do it. We cannot put back on your card unless you AGREE to do it (login, make a withdrawal). Obviously this is so we get correct and current details as well.

From the poker account, we can adjust the bankroll anytime and do it with lots of actions, like when you cash in a tournament, win money at a cash game table, qualify for a bonus etc.

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »

There is for sure email warnings at the very least, they run on certain days of each month. This is for sure.

I think once there is  small residual amount in month 12 it"s cleared. I cannot remember the exact formula but you can find in the terms and conditions.

Hi Gareth

As regards email warnings, I am currently investigating this with 888, progress is slow. I did not recieve any warnings to my knowledge although its possible an old email address could have been used.

With regards the 10% reductions, let me clarify by highlighting the terms and conditions below:

"the Company will levy a monthly administration fee at a rate of 10% of the balance in the account on the date that it became dormant. The administration fee shall be deducted from the dormant account commencing from the last day of the sixth month in which the account is inactive and on the last day of every month thereafter, until the balance of the account has reached zero."

In other words if the "dormant" account has $100 10% is calculated as the monthly administration fee and this is deducted over 10 months at which time the account will reach zero. Simple!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:01:26 AM by coprey »

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »

If you take 10% each month, how come my account is (or was) on $0? it is impossible for this to happen.

You are assuming that the 10% of the account balance in play each month...perhaps they work out the initial balance, divide that by 10 and deduct that amount every month for 10 months.

Simpler admin....note initial amount, divide by 10, set up payment schedule, hit "Run".

Damn...I"m good!
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 13:41:37 PM »
This thread is about 888"s policy of taking cash from dormant accounts. Although I can almost appreciate that 888 dont want to do this, and are forced to. I want to be reassurred that players are given adequate warning of the removal of their funds under this arbitrary policy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 14:49:33 PM by Chipaccrual »

gareth888

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 18:42:52 PM »

This thread is about 888"s policy of taking cash from dormant accounts. Although I can almost appreciate that 888 dont want to do this, and are forced to. I want to be reassurred that players are given adequate warning of the removal of their funds under this arbitrary policy.

As I have explained in this thread, of course members are given adequate warning as we WANT them to re-activate. We want to warn them, and put as much resources behind that as possible. The key, make sure we have correct information so you can be contacted.

gareth888

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 18:46:51 PM »

Hi Gareth

As regards email warnings, I am currently investigating this with 888, progress is slow. I did not recieve any warnings to my knowledge although its possible an old email address could have been used.

With regards the 10% reductions, let me clarify by highlighting the terms and conditions below:

"the Company will levy a monthly administration fee at a rate of 10% of the balance in the account on the date that it became dormant. The administration fee shall be deducted from the dormant account commencing from the last day of the sixth month in which the account is inactive and on the last day of every month thereafter, until the balance of the account has reached zero."

In other words if the "dormant" account has $100 10% is calculated as the monthly administration fee and this is deducted over 10 months at which time the account will reach zero. Simple!

Ok, so it"s 10 months instead of 12... :)

AllanD23

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2011, 01:09:22 AM »
hi gareth, can the t&c not just get our agreement in advance that you would return the funds 10% at a time in these circumstances then you have our agreement without having to try and contact us ... would be easy to enforce a withdrawal method being kept up to date....
this would be handy,   "specially as me and sam could be on safari... :-)

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2011, 12:57:33 PM »
where r wee going

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2011, 13:00:55 PM »
Oh s***, I"ve only just picked-up on this thread and part of me wishes I hadn"t seen it. I think that taking money from inactive accounts is indefensible and tantamount to theft. Having become aware of this I will be contacting 888 for clarification, as I don"t recall seeing this clause in the terms and conditions when I signed up for the site and sure as hell wouldn"t have consented to it.
    This unfortunately gives me something of a moral dilemna. I was aware of Party Poker"s stance regarding inactive accounts and it disgusted me to the point where I will simply not play on the site. If APAT's events weren"t on 888 there"s not a cat in hell"s chance I"d use the site as a result of the policy in question. Looks like I"ve got some serious thinking to do about continuing to participate in the online nationals. Principals Vs possibility of making a few quid. Hmmmmm.    
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 13:07:12 PM by monkeyman »
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2011, 13:22:57 PM »
Tbf - I think the added value they will add to the tour this season will more than make up for this.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...