Author Topic: Stake requests  (Read 16176 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Stake requests
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »
I see two distinct types of staking.... one is to facilitate the desire to play a tournament (or bunch of tournaments) with a buy in higher than you can afford..... and two is the long term staking deal to facilitate daily play.

for the first, I would tend to target a tournament (or bunch of tournaments), and look to friends and peers for small percentages to build up a piecemeal stake. For the second, I use a staking and mentoring/coaching outfit.... they then have a vested interest in improving your profitability, and you get decent coaching/mentoring for free!

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, informative as always and some food for thought (medium to well)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 17:55:07 PM »
Firstly, good steaks should always be cooked rare - if not blue.  Had a lovely Argentinian steak in London a few weeks ago, if I knew the name of the restaurant I"d recommend it.

As for staking, it can make sense on a number of levels.

For a one-off staking for a tournament outside the player"s usual buy-in it can give the player a chance to "have a punt" and limits the cost of this.  It gives the backer a chance of a "sweat", and the outside possibility of a return on their investment.  I"ve both backed other players and been backed myself for this sort of situation.

I recently backed a very good online tournament player who was going to Vegas to play a dozen or so $1,000-$3,000 tournaments.  To off-set the risk, he sold 50% of himself to people who could buy anything from 1% upwards.  He didn"t cash in any tournament until the last one where he came 5th for $120,000 in a WSOP event!  So the backers got a nice return, but could have very easily got nothing back.  The player could have probably just bought himself in to the events without the backing, but until the last event was probably very happy he"d off-set the cost.

I know of a number of players who I play with at DTD who are staked.  Some for cash, some for tournaments, and some for both.  The staked cash players don"t have the bankroll for the £1/2 game, but are very decent players who are looking to build their roll and reduce the chance of going bust.  It takes a lot of trust and understanding between the backers and the stakers, and isn"t something either should enter into lightly.  As far as I know, the two players who are staked for cash are doing pretty well off the back of the staking (as of course, are their backers).

Someone mentioned "make-up" in the staking arrangements.  If you"re backed in a long-term agreement, you"re pretty much in make-up all the time.  If you win a decent amount, you split that winnings between you and the staker, and then continue to play on the staker"s money - which means you"re instantly in make-up again (but this doesn"t mean that you"re in a deficit over the whole staking period).  Obviously there will be a cut-off point where the agreement ends if you"re up to a certain point of make-up at any point.  This will be agreed beforehand.

More players are staked than you might think.  I reached the final table of a tournament not too long ago (blatant brag), and out of those on the final table I think only two of us had 100% of ourselves (I"d managed to bink a seat in a satellite, otherwise I"d have had to be staked to play it).  I don"t know if it makes people play better/worse than they would if they were just playing for themselves.  I guess a staked player is less interested in a min-cash than say a player who has satellited in and looks at the min-cash as a decent return, but that"s a dynamic that"s there between different players with different sized bankrolls anyway.

Not everyone is a fan of staking. I know Dracula wasn"t too keen on it...
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 18:08:41 PM »
Had a lovely Argentinian steak in London a few weeks ago, if I knew the name of the restaurant I"d recommend it.

Gaucho  ?

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 19:16:27 PM »

Had a lovely Argentinian steak in London a few weeks ago, if I knew the name of the restaurant I"d recommend it.

Gaucho  ?

Got to be.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 19:18:07 PM »
All of that writing to produce a worthwhile post, and you choose to end it with this.....

Not everyone is a fan of staking. I know Dracula wasn"t too keen on it...

Shame on you   ;D

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »

Gaucho  ?

Got to be.

Steak and chips and a bottle of red for two ... £170 ... (I guess we had some other nibbles too) ...

Hawksmoor better imo ...

L

vulcan107

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 13:53:23 PM »
gaucho"s cheese and onion bread yes!  gaucho"s steak no! at least the last time we went

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 15:42:33 PM »

gaucho"s cheese and onion bread yes!  gaucho"s steak no! at least the last time we went

Yes indeed the cheese and onion bread is great!

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
Hopefully this won"t get me in trouble with the mods, or should I say "hopefully I won"t get burned at the stake".

I"ve been looking at the CMU website thats dedicated to staking... Just wondered if anyone here is also on this site?

reply or PM

(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 14:28:46 PM »
A question related to staking and bankroll management.

Lets say we have a bankroll that currently stands at $220 which we are using only for MTT"s. By using strict bankroll management of 100buyins we have only recently included the $2 tournaments and plan to follow this strategy as the roll grows including the $3 tourneys when we reach $300 and so on.

We draw up a schedule of 21 tourneys ranging from $2-$5 buyins totalling $79.10 with an average stake $3.77.

How much should we be looking to sell based on current bankroll? How do we make this calculation?

*This is not a request for staking*

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 00:22:22 AM »

A question related to staking and bankroll management.

Lets say we have a bankroll that currently stands at $220 which we are using only for MTT"s. By using strict bankroll management of 100buyins we have only recently included the $2 tournaments and plan to follow this strategy as the roll grows including the $3 tourneys when we reach $300 and so on.

We draw up a schedule of 21 tourneys ranging from $2-$5 buyins totalling $79.10 with an average stake $3.77.

How much should we be looking to sell based on current bankroll? How do we make this calculation?

*This is not a request for staking*

Calculated answer from a non-expert geek

Surely you want to stick with your own 100 buy-ins. So, out of the average $3.77 buy-in you would be looking at playing with $2.20 of your own money....

$3.77 divided by $2.20 = 0.583 (this means you can afford to stake yourself for 58.3%).

Therefore, you should sell about 42%

(this is based on selling at 1:1)

*waits to be proved wrong!*

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
This was the logic I used but it doesnt take into account us falling below the $200 mark at some point in the stake - i.e. bricking the first 10 tournaments.

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »
That is true but if it went the other way and you binked a win or two, you wouldn"t move up in buy-ins either!

If your playing it as a group then change stakes accordingly at the end.

min acc balance at end of session = $173.80
max acc balance at end of session = as the Duke would say "Priceless"

If you want a cushion then sell more (50-60%) or try and sell at 1:1.2
 :P

Personally I"d sell 40% and consider it as "taking a shot"

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 13:13:02 PM »

This was the logic I used but it doesnt take into account us falling below the $200 mark at some point in the stake - i.e. bricking the first 10 tournaments.

To avoid bricking the first ten tournaments play on 888.  It"s practically impossible to go ten tournaments without cashing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 13:16:44 PM by ck1888 »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"