Author Topic: Bad beats, coolers and (hopefully) occasional success  (Read 8463 times)

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
Bad beats, coolers and (hopefully) occasional success
« on: December 03, 2011, 16:42:15 PM »
Hi guys,

Am not one for blogging too heavily (tried and failed that before)!

I am currently between jobs, and have taken the opportunity to get out to the US and Canada for just under 6 weeks. Road tripped around with a friend for 3 weeks, and have now just got to Atlantic City for the WSOP circuit festival (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/festival.php?a=r&n=9286) - coincidental scheduling ;)

If anyone wants to follow my progress, I"ll be posting very occasional updates on www.twitter.com/dwh103

Am playing the following, so wish me luck!

03/12 - $345 NLHE
05/12 - $345 NLHE
07/12 - $345 NLHE 6-max
08/12 - $345 LO8
10/12 - $1,600 NLHE Main Event (will be updates on Pokernews for this one)

All that with the Carl Froch v Andre Ward fight at the Boardwalk on 17/12 - I hope it"s going to be an epic trip!
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

mal666

• Gold Member
Re: Bad beats, coolers and (hopefully) occasional success
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 22:26:24 PM »
GL!!

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »
Thanks man :)

First day went really bad. Put that one down to rust. Sat at what I thought was a good table until two decent LAGs sat down to my left. Got a few chips off one of them betting flop, turn and over betting the river with TPTK in level 1 and got to 12.5k

Downhill from there. Misread the other decent player and ended up putting him on mostly air, making a big call only to be shown top two. Oops. Unfortunately this was in level 4 so cost me far more than the good bet sizing earlier.

About 7k of my starting 10k at the break. Got moved to another table which was a little better but never had the stack to open up and take advantage. Ran AJ into QQ to lose another 2.5k. Committed myself with 66 pre and stop and go"d on a 533 flop into QQ with my last 17BBs.

Did see Aces, but only after I"d dropped to 3k. Tried to "tilt" shove over an open from a TAG and got No further action. Sod all else in the way of playable hands/spots.

All in all a pile of ****e. Didn"t play great, missed a couple of bluff and iso spots. But given my table position passing these up wasn"t too terrible. Players are largely poor with a smattering of decent aggros. A standard TAG game is definitely profitable so I hope to see an upturn soon! Will hope to have position on the good players next time :)
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Very best of luck with the rest of them, especially the LO8. No reson why, i just feel your gonna cash big in that one. ;)
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 15:29:01 PM »

Very best of luck with the rest of them, especially the LO8. No reson why, i just feel your gonna cash big in that one because it"s abnormal poker and you seem to make a habit of playing well in the weird variants. ;)

FYP :D :D

Good luck Dave - have a great tour.

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 15:40:30 PM »
GL Dave, all the best mate look forward to the next update of the tour
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 21:42:37 PM »
 Thanks guys (and Paul - I hope so!).

Have discovered that hotel wifi lets me have access to Twitter and Facebook without paying. Epic win. So I"ll avoid extortionate wifi and not update this thread as much as intended. If anyone does wish to cross post then much appreciated (if anyone cares enough!).

Good luck to all playing in Manchester :)
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:07:20 AM »
Good luck fella, keep us updated.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »
good luck Dave

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:16:12 AM »
First event down. Busted around 230/554 about 5 minutes from the end of level 11 (blinds 300/600/75), jamming 8k from the CO with A4 into the BBs AQ.

Real up and down tournament. Whilst the players are mostly not too hot some of the play can only be described as "random". Whilst this proved a pain in the ass I"d still play against this lot all day. 2.5x opens, position, analysing flop texture, and any post-flop betting of less than 80% pot doesn"t seem to have reached this part of the world, so 10k chips is feeling quite shallow in these comps as the pots are escalating very quickly.

As with the first tournament I played I was surrounded by the more aggro players with the tighter, weaker players nowhere where I could exercise significant bullying tactics.

Lost a 9k pot early on when AQs binked a flush vs my KK in a 3bet pot. Paid the guy off on the river which dropped me to 6k early on. At the time I was kicking myself over making the call, but seeing his subsequent play it probably wasn"t that bad (I had the K of the suit too).

Get the chips back when same villains raises pre, the checks flop before weak leading turn on a Ac Ts 6h 4s board. Calls my raise and value bet on river Qd.

Later call raise in position with 8s6s, 3 way pot, original raiser checks to me and I fire all 3 streets on Qs Tc 5s 6h 4c board. Don"t like my river bet, felt at the time I might fold out some hands beating me - but if he"s called 2 streets he"ll probably hero me a 3rd time. This was indeed the case, but he heroed me with AKo - interesting.

After these adventures I hit the first break with 11.2k, shade above the average.

4bet AKs vs a LAG, got a fold. Raised 6d5d, got 3 calls, flopped middle pair and rivered trips vs one of the random fish in a small pot. Got up to 16.3k.

Drop down to 12k over the next couple of hours. The usual stuff that we"ve all experienced - every time you have Ax the board comes 678, every time you have T9 it comes AQQ etc etc - and they ALWAYS have it.

One such occasion I raise UTG and fire all 3 streets with 77 on a AJ868 board with all draws missing. Villain tank calls AJ on river after deciding not to raise at any point - entices me to fire the overbet 3rd barrel vs what I expect to be a weaker Ace I can get him to lay down.

Contrary to the fact all the above is me playing a shedload of big pots and binking rivers , or overbet bluffing - I don"t like playing this way (though I won"t shy away from big moves)! I like to chip away in position at the smaller pots, trusting position and generally winning them before I have to bink the river. I"m firing one barrel usually, two if the board texture tells me I should, and was not having a great deal of success with it. Either my opponents are hanging on grimly with random cards or flopping a shedload of hands whereas I wasn"t flopping a great deal  

Dropped as low as 1,500, but with a few well timed 3bet shoves, a bit of luck (99 v KK AIPF, board KJTQA) and winning a couple of races I built up to 22k. Actually started hitting a couple of flops and winning those smallish pots in position - thought "Great, time to kick it up and build a stack now I have one and the average had dropped to ~30-35BBs".

Due to LAGish shorties on my left, was mostly only opening hands that were going to call 3-bet shoves. Cue being jammed on by dominating hands. 55 v 88, KQs v AQo in button/cut-off v blind scenarios before the A4 v AQ took me out a while later.

Bitty tournament, little bit frustrated I was pegged back immediately on the couple of occasions I picked up an above average stack. Still made it past halfway without ever getting going, which is something I guess.

6-max next on Wednesday, again a 5pm GMT kickoff. If the net in the tournament area allows I will keep the Twitter updates flowing.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 16:24:30 PM »
Makes for good reading Mr H, keep it going.......... Never stop believing  :)
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 19:30:34 PM »
Won"t have net later, so a quick update at the break. Got up to 16k at point, but finished at 7.7k.

Yet again, the better players are in a row on my left, with the fish on my right. At least my blinds are getting an easy run.

Got an epic dynamic with the guys on my left. Every check-raise I"ve 3bet, and I have 4bet-folded the flop. Now serial non-believers, with the added benefit that two of them are being relatively tight pre-flop also.

Key hands:

Raised UTG, got two callers (LAG CO and fish BB) and flopped flush draw with QT on J74 flop. Bet flop, got two callers. Turn offsuit 5. Checked round. River 4 completes my flush, and BB bets out pot with J8o.

Raised pre to 200 @ 50/75 with 34 from CO. LAG SB calls. Flop Q43 with two hearts. I bet 300, get check-raised to 600, and 3bet the flop to 1600. Villain calls.

Turn 7c. Villain check-calls 2275, leaving himself about 5k behind with the pot now at 7.5kish.

River 8h, Villain check-folds his Q after I put him in, only after a long dwell.

That got me to 16k.

Raised AQ, got 3bet by AK - gave him one street of value on a paired board, dropped about 1.3k

Raised QQ on the button to 2.5x. LAG Villain on BB calls out of his 40BB stack with Kd4d. Flops a T high flush and doubles through me, costing me about 4k. I cbet and 3bet all in on the flop vs the guy I"m consta doing this to.

Fish limps for 100 out of 2.1k stack, I make it 350 with KJ. One call from the blinds and fish jams. I call and BB folds. KJ v TT and he wins the race.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 23:31:37 PM »
Busto around 150th of the 430 odd runners.

Coming back from the break I pushed up to 10k, then back down to 8k or so. Then picked up KK v AK v JJ AIPF and hold to get to 20k. Began to dominate the table and got up to 25k at peak.

Binked a flush vs an UTG raiser with 6c 3c on an Ac Kd Qc Kc board. Rest of his chips go in on 6h river, unfortunately he has 8c 7c.

Put me down to 12.5k and forced to tighten up now the guys on my left were stacked and opening up more. Dribbled down to 10k, jammed 55 from MP, short stack calls off his last 4.5 BBs and doubles through me with QQ.

Leaves me with 7.5k or so, and I eventually jam 10BBs from the cut-off at 400/800/100 with QTo. Button calls for 40% of his stack with A4s and holds.

Had an awesome dynamic at the table - had I picked up some big hands I was definitely getting paid. Damn getting coolered :(
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 00:37:23 AM »
This has lapsed a fair bit after I discovered that I can get onto Facebook and Twitter without needing to pay. No APAT though - scandalous.

Plus I"ve actually been spending time going deep. Was down to one big bet in the O8 (and two, and 1.5 later on before the money) but ground out to min cash after getting 3 outed for a scoop (AK93 v AKJ4 on 5566 board).

Also made day 2 of the main event. Lost an 18k flip early when I open to 525 from UTG+1 with AK and tilty BB jams for 9k with 22! Manage to get one outed in a 20k pot also, but still returning with 18.2k of the starting 20k at blinds 500/1000/100. Hopefully will win the next big hand, otherwise it"s likely to be my last.

Was incredibly disciplined, I only 4bet once.
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 00:58:47 AM »
Good luck for a big result Dave!
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013