Author Topic: Aces and Agony - An APAT'ers blog of the highs and lows of poker ( and life!)  (Read 111143 times)

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
Re: Aces and Agony - An APAT'ers blog of the highs and lows of poker ( and life!)
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2012, 14:29:17 PM »
Enjoyed railing mate and value having the same encouragement when I play. Very well done on the nice cash and fine performance  8)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Re: Aces and Agony - An APAT'ers blog of the highs and lows of poker ( and life!)
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
The mentality of a poker player with a target

As poker players, we all have a general target, ie to win/get all the chips/make as much profit as possible. When those targets are different to the usual, ie in satellites, team events, as a generalisation we tend to go into extreme tight aggressive mode.

I was faced with this dilemma last night. With approx 30 left in the league game, I was somehow still in with a chance of winning the individual player of the league standing. I only had 2 playing obstacles left, Tony Trippier and Damo Bailie (on my phone so excuse any spelling errors). I also had the small issue of getting to the final table where it would all be decided. It"s folded round to me on my sb and I have  8c 4c. I open shove my 12 or so bbs, the bb wakes up with AQos, and by the turn I"ve locked the hand up giving me a flush. In short order Tony is knocked out, and with 15 left I hold AK v AQ/J (can"t remember which).

We"re down to 11 quickly and I"ve locked up 5th overall. I"m sitting 10/11 but not worried. I know my strengths and weaknesses when short and I know what situations I want to get into. Twice I fold to all ins and a call, first with A9 which would have chopped a decent pot, then 99 which would"ve have been crushed. Happy with both folds quite comfortably. I have under 25k with just under 10bbs with my final hand. Early position opens and I have  Ah Qh. Without thinking I"m all in, and lose to 77. 11th on the night and 5th overall. It is in situations like this that there is a timebank!!!! I know in my heart that I"m never folding usually in this situation. And given hindsight yeah it"s a fold. A step back and think about it would have been the most sensible solution, and looking at the situation completely dispassionately.

5th overall is locked up. A 9th on the night gives me 4th overall and a free APAT seat. 5/6th overall (can"t quite remember which) gives me 2nd overall. But because I wanted it all, I"d have gone all in anyway.

A massive well done to Tony Trippier for his win. As I"d only played half of the events, I"ll be honest and say that in some respects a win for me would have been a tad unfair on his consistently excellent play!

Roll on to now and I"m stood outside work freezing as someone is late!
Season 6 Online Ranking Winner
Season 6 UK Online Winner
Season 6 Member of the winning England team at the WCOAP
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
Seasons 10 WCOAP Player of the series
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2012, 22:47:20 PM »
Just a very quick one today, to say thankyou for the rail last night on stars.

Was running ridic good in the Big $11, down to the last 300 as one of the chipleaders, then the rail started to appear. Big thanks to Ger, Adam and Chaz for helping keep me focused.

Ended up busting in 61st which was a tad annoying ( though not bad out of over 11k players). From roughly 10 past 1 till I was knocked out at just gone half 2, I had one pocket pair ( QQ where my standard raise was not called), apart from that, I saw 8 6 os so many times already facing 3 and 4 bets. It eventually cracked me, managing to lose 400k to a blind on blind hand (with 73os)

It"s at this point of the year we look back and we look forward.

I had 2 major goals, one is win a decent tournament on stars, another is an APAT medal. Managed both thankfully :)

It has taken me a couple of years, but I do think I am getting there on stars at last, as I used to cash often, but not final table.

07/11: 1/833 in a $5 1000 max NL
18/09: 3/588 in an $11 NL
08/04: 3/1000 in a $4.40 1000 max NL
04/07: 4/621 in a $4.40 1000 max NL
15/12: 7/500 in a $8.80 500 max NL

And obviously a live bronze and online gold. So pretty happy.

2013:

I"ll have to go for the following:

1) Win 2 tournaments on stars
2) Win over $1k in a tournament on stars
3) Hopefully finish as the no 1 ranked in APAT online games ( sitting 2nd at the moment)
4) Play a deepstack at DtD
5) Play A.N.Other event ( SPT, GUKPT, Genting etc) - staked or otherwise
6) Look at having a specific poker set up ( ie new PC/monitor(s)) rather than laptop

If I think of more I"ll add them

Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Wow really 10 days since my last update?

What to say...

Actually ended 2012 top of the online rankings which was good, wonder how many events are left to hold on to that?!

I generally give myself a Xmas/New Year poker present, so with working NYE and NYD, I decided to play the Big $55 on stars as it had a roughly $40k overlay. Ended up 43rd for $240 which was pleasing. Again getting deep with decent stacks, again blow it all ( poor play this time iirc). Already up to chrome on stars ( no surprise really) as I"ve played a few 180s, as well as mtt"s. Am down about $50-$100 so far. Early days so not worried.

Already booked DtD, for my first WCOAP ,and I"m looking forward to Luton to what is my favourite event of the season.
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Luton team event

My trip down started at half 11 on Friday, making my way into Manchester for the first of a few trains. Even though my route took me to a good few places across the country, I don"t mind as I wasn"t in a huge rush. Of course, the first train to Sheffield gets cancelled, meaning I would instantly miss every connection. Thankfully, none of the conductors seemed to mind, so travelled all the way with no arguments, getting in to Luton at half 6.

As I"d booked fairly late, I"d gone for the Travelodge, won"t be making that mistake at Luton again ( wayyyy to far away, cost me more in taxis than sleeping for 2 of the nights!). The room itself was a bit meh, no remote control for the TV, no towel rail, the usual "high quality".

Get to Luton G just in time for their usual Friday night tournament, and proceed to play terribly the entire way. Had a few drinks with the usual suspects before making my way back fairly early as I was pretty tired. On the Saturday, get to the G in time to watch City play a very boring game vs Stoke ( is there any game exciting when playing Stoke?), and meet up with the team ready for the fun of the team game.

I start confidently, hitting a couple of disguised straights and trips, and win a decent pot KK v JJ. The last hand before the break managed to pull off a river bluff with J high into a decent pot, going into the 1st break at 27k. 20 mins after the break I"m up to 33k quite comfortably, my 3 bets and c bets being given lots of respect. Then it all starts to go wrong.

Call a 3 bet with 22, and despite the flop being A 3 5, I was comfortable. Stacking over 15k chasing wasn"t the greatest plan however. Meh folded the turn to a huge bet.

Find AK UTG and bet as usual. It"s 3bet from seat 10, have a think. This is the same guy I bet off the river with my J high, 4 bet him, eventually it"s all in, he has KK and I don"t bink an A. Down to 1.4k. Ooops. How do we get this back? Win blind vs blind hitting top pair on the flop, then JJ v AJ, so up to 8k. A few hands later, UTG again and I have AQ, blinds are just about to go 300/600, so just open shove. There"s a 3 bet from seat 3. Oops. Yeah he has KK, again I don"t hit.

Spend the next few hours getting drunk in the bar, then I hear "Asa, fancy dealing a cash game?", I was bored, had nothing to do so said sod it. Half 2 the game wraps up, good job really as I"m falling asleep. Was good fun to deal, and from watching, I picked quite a lot up.

Sunday, I manage to get up just in time to get to the 4pm Omaha as I didn"t manage to sleep very well initially. Bubble the final table after getting short. Had managed to hit a beautiful flop, holding QQJJ, flop KQJ, turn Q which was quite nice.

A nice weekend all in all, even if the poker didn"t go well.

WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2013, 21:20:39 PM »
No poker live for a while for me. My days off equate with tournaments I don"t particularly want to play and my next weekend off when I"m not actually busy is at least 3 weeks ( more likely 5 or 7 weeks) away. Going after work with the next day off will be my only other possibility, however, I know I play nowhere near as well "tired", so am trying to reduce those.

Tuesday is my next day off and have a fully planned day. Waiting in for a parcel, then a touch of shopping for new work shoes ( so Wednesday is going to be painful), then onwards to play snooker.

I play snooker with a friend, Dan, who strangely, went to school with Adam Sharples. Considering we flatshares for a year, worked together for 3 years and played snooker twice a week for about 18 months, I haven"t actually seen him for a fair while. We"re both equally bad at snooker, yet we both enjoy the challenge. We actually used to take it pretty seriously and not drink whilst playing, I doubt that"ll happen on Tuesday!
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2013, 22:50:29 PM »
Not a huge amount to report.

Managed to win the snooker, but still managed to be as terrible as usual.

I"ve played a grand total of 8 $2.50 180"s this week, but I have managed a 2nd and a 3rd so not going to complain at that :)

Helping my sister move this weekend which should be "fun"
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2013, 21:14:31 PM »
Well, my last 2 weeks have been pretty much busy as hell. Every day off I"ve had, I"ve had tons to do and every work day has left me absolutely shattered.

So, being off tomorrow, with not a huge amount to do, means I"m thinking it"s time to get back on the poker grind.

I cannot wait to do so :)
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Again 2 weeks since my last update, however to be fair, there"s not much going on in life or poker.

Until this week obviously!!

Work is a hard slog at the moment. I"m generally going home absolutely shattered and not in the mood to play poker or do much at all to be honest!

I"ve played live once in the last 3 weeks which was yesterday afternoon, where I ran A10 into AK in a multiway pot.

Came home, regged for the APAT sat for the mini masters, and ended up with 1/2 the chips 4 way, eventually finishing in the top 2.

However by far the biggest news is my selection for the England team in the WCOAP in less than 4 weeks. Words cannot describe the pride I felt when Steve let me know, and then he tells me he"s announcing it in the morning so I have to keep it quiet!!  ( then he announces it 20 mins later!!) I honestly was ready to burst!

As well as the team event, and actually being back at Dtd for the first time in 2 years, the fact I finally get to play HORSE live, I"m most looking forward to being back with the APAT crew. ( and spending 5 days in their company is going to be awesome!)
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
Huge congrats on the call up mate, very well deserved. You country is proud of you.
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Not a bad couple of days on the poker front.

Won the $2.20 8 game on stars yesterday and the 5 euro deep n steep tonight on APAT. Not mega bucks but it"s winning poker so I"ll take it.
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Wp Asa, every little helps, ty for the rail today really thought I was in for a big one.

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
A decent day, City are in the semi finals of the FA Cup, and I"m still laughing about last night.

I went to the G in Manchester to play their "quality" Friday night game, £10 + 1 £10 rebuy. 5k chips and blinds start at 50/100 meaning your first set, with any mistakes or bad luck you need your rebuy. I was down to 2.2k after having to fold AK on an obvious straighting board ( he showed the straight), and about to shout for the 5k extra, when I"m in early position with QQ, I make a standard raise, carnage happens and there"s 4 of us all. QQ, AK, KJ and AQ.

When the flop comes down Q99 I sit back, exclaim that"ll do and think about how to play with my new stack. The poker gods then decide to laugh at me bringing down the 2 remaining Kings....

10 mins later I"m on my way home when my JJ loses to 99...

I"m just getting all the bad luck out of the way before DtD me thinks...
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
I think JP put it superbly in his blog, and I can pretty much only echo what he has said.

I am completely and utterly humbled to be nominated for 2 APAT awards.

Especially so as the 2 awards are for Player of the Year and Breakthrough Player of the Year.

I"m honest in that the main reason I haven"t posted about it so far is that I"m pretty much in shock about them! To be mentioned in the same awards as Carl, Tom, Mark, Anthony, Matt, Liam, Suz, Sharon and JP, given the season that they have all had, speaks volumes for how well I"ve run in the online tournaments :)

I have voted for the people I believe who most deserve the award, and haven"t voted for myself :)

WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Errr wow. Sitting at home after 6 days in Nottingham. It's a strange sensation. The stresses of the team event and the joy of playing the main event have passed and it's a weird feeling. I'm definitely on a come down adrenaline wise, however, for obvious reasons, I'm on quite a big high.

24th Feb at 23:42 it all started for me. A message out of the blue from Steve, asking me if I was in the stud and 6-max. A puzzled yeah was the answer, as I was basically getting ready for bed... then he told me I was in the team... WOW! I've had a great season online, but only an ok live so wasn't really thinking about getting in.

Fast forward to last Wednesday, I've gone down a day early to DTD, to get my eye in and get my mindset ready for the team event. Start with 10k, get a nice 8k pot earlier, raising pre and all 3 streets with 63os, and getting a fold on the river of a dangerous board. In the bb with Q10ss call an early position raise after 4/5 callers, flop was AKJ ( must be nice), it's checked round, turn is an off suit 3 ( no flush draws), and 1st to act shoves. I obviously call, and dominate against A9. Keep building my stack until I'm up 40k, where it hovers till my exit hand. Table chip leader has been opening loads, and he does so again from UTG, I look down at 99, that's good enough for me, eventually the chips all go in preflop, he has AK, and hits the K on the river. Disappointing, but can't really complain as it was a flip.

Wake up at a decent time on Thursday, have a good chill, then pop over to Frankie & Benny's for a pre match meal and chat with the team. Get there just as Stu and Lucy pull up, all good timing ;) Carl and Emma aren't far behind, with Steve and Tony finally turning up. Although I've spent a bit of time with Stu, Carl, Lucy and Emma, I've not spent a huge amount of time with them, and I've spent very little time with Steve or Tony before. It's fair to say, I was a little nervous. I had no need to be, all of them were extremely friendly and before we knew it, it was time to head over. Before we did, both Emma and Steve had come prepared with extra England branded things, sunglasses, wristbands and tattoos, a nice add on ?

The plans were simple as a team. I was going to play the 6 max NL games, with Stu the 6 max Omaha. I think we all felt that was a good plan, but probably for different reasons. I personally felt that some teams would see it as an opportunity for easy points, and others would see it as an opportunity for points for the weaker members of the team? I've no actual idea to be honest either way.

My game plan going in was very simple. Nothing stupid. No daft pots. No early bluffing. Play sensibly. Even in 6 max, I wanted to maximise the start. Played sensibly, slowly building my chips. Took one player out when they'd lost most of their chips earlier, then the big hand. At 200/400 blinds, raise to 1100 on the button with 55. Both the blinds called, and after the J75ss flop, the sb shoved. I was never folding trips with that many chips in the pot, she had KK with no spades,  and that was 2 gone. End up being heads up with Fergus after he knocks Paul McGuiness out in 3rd, the crucial pot being 99 vs AJ, most of the chips went in pre, J10x board, turn and river Q and 8....

That's it for now, to come, Omahaha shenanigans, day 2... and that magical feeling
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n