Author Topic: Aces and Agony - An APAT'ers blog of the highs and lows of poker ( and life!)  (Read 109568 times)

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Despite 3 bloody long days in work, I had the poker bug last night so played a small session online.

Regged for everthing under $11 starting between 6 and 7. Managed 3 cashes out of 8 which isn"t too bad. Min cashed the big $11, after being down to 4k on the bubble ( 500/1k blinds), managed to grind it up to 24k, then got it in QQ v JJ and lost.

The $8 6max went really well, after cashing proceeded to go completely card dead and went out approx 20th, where my oppponent couldn"t put down bottom pair on the flop after I"d raised pre ( I had an open ended straight flush draw).

The $4.40 8 max I managed to finish 4th. I don"t think I played particularly well from 50 out, just getting hands when I needed a double up. I think when I got down to 6 handed I started playing well, not particularly aggressive, just picking my spots, and only a semi cooler, 44 into JJ 4 handed, stopped me from finishing higher. Not going to complain about nearly $200 picked up from this, and it takes a lil bit of pressure off my bankroll which is always good.

I"ve got the day off after 3 tough long days at work, so going to ensure I have a relaxing day, as the next 10 days at work are going to be even tougher. It"s the time of year for the set up to our biggest promotional period and preceeding the busiest time of the year for us. Each and every year, we ask for 2 things, the stock early and the plans early. This means we"re not getting tons of stock last minute not knowing where it"s all going. This year we got the majority of stock nice and early. The plans only came down last Friday night, which meant I didn"t see them till Monday. Seeing as on Monday through Wednesday this week, all I was doing was a store reflow to incorporate new stock, it has pretty much meant that when I start the set up, I"ll be in effect, making it up as I go along. Not ideal, but meh. It"s also a good weekend for both my managers to have booked the weekend off  :D

What it all means is that I"m going to do not much today, a lil bit of online poker ( some 180s on stars I think), then I"ll potter down to the G and play the £40 f/out with 10k starting. Now that every night in there is dealer dealt, it means I can actually focus more on my game and enjoy the thing too!
Season 6 Online Ranking Winner
Season 6 UK Online Winner
Season 6 Member of the winning England team at the WCOAP
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
Seasons 10 WCOAP Player of the series
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Interesting few days. Played Thursday night at the G ran KK into AA 1st hand. Saturday night ran 10 10 into QQ 1st hand on the final table... the Q J 9 flop ensured I couldn"t fold.. the Q turn didn"t really help matters  ;D

Worked all weekend, culminating in a 9pm finish last night. No food available at the hotel I was staying, and someone"s lovely underwear waiting for me when I finally got up to my room. Too tired to do anything about it, just emailed them about it now.

Left for work at 6.45, get half way across the road, step onto the middle instantly slip forward straight onto my hand and knees. My left knee has the brunt of the damage, requiring a clean up at a drop in centre after some lovely needles to numb it all. It was an experience when it wore off! After all that, didn"t get home till 7 and I"m shattered but wide awake!

So what it means for my day off tomorrow, is that I"m likely to not be on my feet, so I think I might well have to play poker tomorrow! Will play a good few small mtt"s me thinks!
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
So then, my knee has completely seized up, have been out and about once and it"s not helped much so am going down the other way of completely resting it.

Going to play a small schedule on stars me thinks:

14:45 $5.40 NLHE Turbo Knockout
14:50 $3.30 7 card Stud Hi/Lo
15:15 $5.50 NLHE 1000 cap
15:25 $2.20 8 game mix
15:35 $3.30 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
15:45 $5.10 Hyper Turbo 6 max
15:45 $11 NLHE
15:45 $4.40 8 max 1000 cap
16:00 $1.10 NLHE
16:00 The Big  $8.80
16:30 $2.20 NLHE Turbo
16:35 $4.40 PL Omaha
16:45 $5.50 NLHE 1000 cap
17:00 $3.30 NLHE
17:15 $8.80 NLHE 500 cap
17:15 $2.70 NLHE Turbo Knockout
17:25 $3.30 HORSE ( Favourite tournament)
17:30 $11 HOT Turbo
17:35 $2.20 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
17:45 $5.40NLHE Turbo Knockout
18:00 $5.50 NLHE

A nice mix of tournaments in there, depending on how it goes, I might throw a few 180 man games in, hopefully won"t need to!

An hour to chill then down to business!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 14:43:48 PM by amcgrath1uk »
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Schedule looks good. Ever thought of selling any percentages? I am sure you would be a popular addition to the stakers boards and this is the sort of schedule that has lots of value.

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member

Schedule looks good. Ever thought of selling any percentages? I am sure you would be a popular addition to the stakers boards and this is the sort of schedule that has lots of value.

The schedule has mighty changed, kinda not feeling it, as I"m pretty down today, dropped more than half the schedule after a bad start. Going ok in a couple, going well in the 7 card stud ( 1/13 despite playing it about 5 times max before)

I"ve done staking before. Had a fairly lengthy one on Blonde which went ok. I have looked at it, but facts are facts, on Stars which is where I usually play, I am a losing mtt player. Not massively or anything but I am. I know I just need one decent result to get in profit. I play on there for the challenge of going deep and to improve my game. The results will come...
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Try some of the mtt"s on 888? decentish prizes still, smaller more managable fields and worse play in general?

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member

The schedule has mighty changed, kinda not feeling it, as I"m pretty down today, dropped more than half the schedule after a bad start. Going ok in a couple, going well in the 7 card stud ( 1/13 despite playing it about 5 times max before)

I"ve done staking before. Had a fairly lengthy one on Blonde which went ok. I have looked at it, but facts are facts, on Stars which is where I usually play, I am a losing mtt player. Not massively or anything but I am. I know I just need one decent result to get in profit. I play on there for the challenge of going deep and to improve my game. The results will come...

Losing player does not equal bad player. I think I read somewhere that only 10% of poker players are actually "winning". The schedule is great value as plenty of people playing the mixed games won"t even understand how to play them.

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member

Try some of the mtt"s on 888? decentish prizes still, smaller more managable fields and worse play in general?

888 ... if someone staked me and said, you can keep the profits, I genuinely still wouldn"t go on there. I just have never liked the software! My "other" site I play on is Betfair, which I do enjoy, just having a break from there at this current time. Do tend to make a lot of money on there, but I find it completely destroys my game due to the style of play on there.
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member

Losing player does not equal bad player. I think I read somewhere that only 10% of poker players are actually "winning". The schedule is great value as plenty of people playing the mixed games won"t even understand how to play them.

I think I"m one of them  ;D

Naaa gotta say I do decent at the mixed games, managed a 5th in the 7 card stud!

I"ve got 3 tournies left today

5/53/666 in the $4.40 8 max
88/881/1434 in the $5.50
14/180/500 in the $8.80 having just lost a CL pot QQ vs 10 10 :(
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
meh 18th in the $4.40, AQ < AK after a 6 Q 6 flop. Lost 3 flips in a row in the $5 to go out 340th, 61/71 in the $8.80 need a good double up or 2.
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
APAT Glasgow is a certainty now. Time booked off work and the hotel is booked and paid for. Certainly looking forward to a Friday night led by Grant, Chas and Jamie.

Work has slightly calmed down now, after a very tough month, I probably have 2 weeks before it starts to get busy. Getting a lil bit of time back from work, so am in the middle of 2 days off, 3 days in, then a very rare long weekend off. As it"s payday on Friday, I"ll more than likely play Friday through Sunday night live as I know through the rest of the month I don"t have many opportunities to go.

Tonight however is online, I have nothing on apart from having to be somewhere at 1pm tomorrow, so I"m hitting it hard. Got 9 tables going at the mo, with 3 more in 5 mins time  :o eek!!!
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Finally had a full weekend off for the first time in 2 months, so I"ve got a few things sorted.

Friday night

Played the £10 + £10 at the G, and despite it now being dealer dealt, it was mega quiet. Or it might just be I went out in storming fashion. Dropped from 5k to 2k missing my straight flush draw, take the rebuy. 3 hands later get QQ in early position and raise, bb 3bets and I flat. Flop is  Ah Qh 6h and I just open shove. He tanks for 2 mins and calls with  Kh Ks. No need to mention the river.

Get home nice n early and start up with my Xbox for the 1st time in 3 months, straight onto COD and like I"d never been away. Next thing it"s 3am and time for bed!

Saturday

Chill watching the cricket, golf and F1 most of the day, then head off to the G for the £30 f/out with 8k starting chips.

2nd hand get dealt AA and someone has raised to 500 and 50/100, I repop to 1700 and he calls. Flop is 983 I bet, he calls, 8 on the turn I shove he calls with 33. Sigh.  He"d lost 1200 first hand so that"s what I had. Shove the sb next hand, get a caller. Typically I have KK ( I did look) and double up. Build back up to 7k and still in level 2. Facing a raise to 600, I have  ad1 Qd on the bb, and repop to 1500. He calls, flop  2d 4d Jh. I bet, he shoves I call. He has  Kd Jd. Brick brick. GG me.

Sunday

Spent the morning in bed, and the afternoon at a relatives. A cousin had been away for a year in Japan, and came back on Sunday, his b/day on Monday so a good surprise party was to be had. Got home at 7 so went for the £25 deepstack with 20k starting. Some might have seen this hand on facebook so bear with me.

I"d built up to 28k when this happened. A multi limped pot, and I"m one of them with  9d Jd. Flop  Qs 10s 8h was lovely, especially as the bb bet into it. Knowing the player plays and calls any 2, I repop, he shoves, I snap. He shows  Qh 3h.

Turn 8

River Q

Was enjoyable losing 18k that way!!!!!!!

Get the last 10k in in a 3 way pot last hand, as Simon Trumper was on the table on his way back from Bolton, shoving blind every hand. The same bloke shoved his now 50k stack, Simon called blind, I"m not folding anything remotely decent, and I have 10 10. Up against QJ and Simon"s J4, Q on the river.

A marv weekend then!!! I"d quite like the poker gods to smile upon me rather than taking me roughly from behind as they are at the moment. It"s kind of a good job I"m now busy for the next 3 weeks at the weekend, and at the moment, I can"t play midweek. I"m obviously hoping a break is good for me. I am looking forward to the next few weeks though. On the 11th August I"ll be playing 18 holes of golf for the first time ever, and I actually haven"t swung a club in over 20 years, and being left handed, getting clubs will be interesting!!
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
The good news for me is that advance train tickets for my return from Glasgow aren"t actually released until next week :)

Looks like it"s a bit of reconnaissance for me too, as I"m up Glasgow way tomorrow as one of the stores up there need an expert ( for some reason the DM thought me), so trekking up tomorrow morning, staying and back on Thursday afternoon. I highly doubt I"ll have the opportunity to play poker but I think I"ll give it a crack if possible!

WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Managed to sort out my Glasgow tickets, so all is good there.

I"m struggling with my game in specific spots at the moment. I"m having no issues with bubble play, or with the start of tournies. My struggles seem to be in the middle.

The examples I will give are:

APAT Manchester, up to 40k in no time. Then proceed to go nowhere for 4 hours till I get knocked out. Same sort of thing in Cardiff. On Sunday I played the £25 20k f/out in Manchester. Within 45 minutes, I"ve got under 60k. I"ve picked perfect spots, I"ve applied pressure and made cracking reads. As soon as I hear "the blinds are up to ........." my game disappears completely.

Any suggestions?
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Try playing a bit more? I would assume (after playing in vegas together a bit) that you kind of blinded away a bit?

Perhaps putting yourself in a position to win more pots would help?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013