Author Topic: Aces and Agony - An APAT'ers blog of the highs and lows of poker ( and life!)  (Read 109600 times)

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
If you"re playing the 8pm at BNRd I"ll see you there, it"s been a while since I played there.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member

If you"re playing the 8pm at BNRd I"ll see you there, it"s been a while since I played there.

Yup that"s the one. I"ll be there nice and early.
Season 6 Online Ranking Winner
Season 6 UK Online Winner
Season 6 Member of the winning England team at the WCOAP
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
Seasons 10 WCOAP Player of the series
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
The teammates and the joy/relief of winning

What more can be said about this man. He is forever cementing his place as an APAT legend. His performances during the stt's were amazing, he played all 8 seaters, 1 1st place, 2 2nd and 2 3rd places. One of those 2nd places he had a 29 to 1 chip lead heads up and lost ( see everyone, it is possible!!) He won his heads up match for good measure!

TT actually ended up the lowest points scorer on the England team ( serves him right for being a Man U fan imo), but to be fair, apart from his 1 point in the 2nd day Omaha, was consistent in his performances. A great fella to have around the team, amazing supporter and won the important 3rd HU match to win us the gold. That bronze in the stud might have to be forgotten about...

I've got a ton of time for Stu. The beats he received on day 1 were terrible in any tournament, let alone sit n go's, and to turn up with the added pressure he was going under, the comeback on day 2 with 2 excellent 3rd places, as well as setting us up with the 1st HU win, speak absolute volumes about the guy. His support was utterly astonishing, his boundless enthusiasm ( yes I'm still talking about Stu), certainly helped me continue playing to the highest standard.

Steve "The Captain"! Steve acknowledged to the team in advance of the tournament of the enormous pressure he was under. He was chosen for the captaincy again, and he was well aware that if he didn't produce results this time, there would be quite a lot of "well he shouldn't have been chosen & he should have chosen x, y and z instead". He instilled confidence in all of us, told us all we completely deserved to be there and led from the front. A lot of people have commented that because of how well Carl and myself scored, we got to the final 2. Steve also finished in the top 10 individual scorers, 2 2nd places, 2 3rd places, and his blow up in day 2 Omaha... Steve was extremely nervous going into the HU, and hopefully, this is where I helped him. I was extremely relaxed going into it ( almost horizontally so), and I can't remember the exact words, but something along the lines of, "this is why we're here". When we won, I was obviously completely delighted, but more so for Steve. Which then led to another win in the cash tournament. An epic few days for Steve!

A quick word about these 2 wonderful ladies. Emma and Lucy railed the England team tirelessly for 2 days, backed us to the hilt for every moment of it, supported us immensely, and I know I can speak for all of the team in that we completely appreciated it, and as the picture shows, they revelled in the joy of the winning moment!

The actual moment we won, Carl at the time was out of sight and hadn't seen we'd won. We soon remedied that! Carl is there somewhere!!

The celebrations were a little bit muted. I think we initially were relieved it was all over and we'd done what we'd set out to achieve!

Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Asa - great write ups. It"s all coming back! :)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Cracking write up Asa mate :) As Steve says, its all coming back, it brings a lump to my throat :)

I would do anything to be back in a team with you guys representing our country again, I mean that. You are all superstars :)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Luthee13

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
I know I speak for Emma too when I say that it was our pleasure! Regardless of the result we were both already so proud of you all for your attitudes towards playing for your country and playing as a team but we so desperately wanted you guys to win, each for your own reasons and as a team and, you did it in pure style!!! :D

Well done again , boys - jangle jangle ;)

xxx
Raise! For Jack - Silver Medallists 2019!

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Online success

The obvious success on APAT I've had this season, which enabled me to get into the 2 England teams, has been online.

I've been highly fortunate to win the online rankings for the season, and if memory serves me correctly, I didn't play any of the ECOAP because of work. The obvious highlight was winning the UK online, looking at the entire year though, I did perform fairly well.

England PLO 5th 5 points
Wales Main 8th 11 points
Ireland PLO 3rd 7 points
Scotland Main 10th 9 points
UK Main Champion 18 points
League (2) 5th 14 points
WCOAP Stud 7th 3 points
WCOAP PLO 8th 2 points
WCOAP PLO H/L 8th 2 points
WCOAP Main 17th 2 points

Thanks to JonMW for the information ?

WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Fish

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member

Fish

And to add to that the story of my exit tonight..

Had my re-entry in level 3, run 15k down to 6k, double up KJ v QQ, then win a multiway pot with A 10 to go over 23k.

One limper at 200/400, look down at  8s 6s raise to 1700 and get 2 callers. Flop  10s 9s 3s . Not bad. I c/bet 2200, responses are all in, all in. I"m never folding. The 2 hands are  9d 3d and  A s 7d. Turn  10c River  10d  :-\
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
I rest my case  ;D ;D ;D ;D

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Well, this week has been fun!

Thurs-Tues was stocktake prep, stocktake and post stocktake checking, average 10-11 hour days, so pretty exhausting.

Had Wednesday off, went and met Ian at the G for a quick drink before the tourny, was home before the 1st break :)

Worked overnight Thurs & Fri, totally shattering when you"re not used to it!

I"ve got at least 3 more nights of them this week, if not 4.

Then Saturday, for the first time in 2 years, and probably first time properly in 8 years, I"ll be playing cricket. I"m really looking forward to it, and as I"ll be playing on the same team as Adam Sharples, it should be damn good fun!
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
Great write ups from the WCOAP Asa.. Memories that will stick with me for ever.. Unbelievable team spirit throughout the two days.

Let"s hope we all run well next season, and have a shot to perhaps defend our title..
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
Oh good god, Saturday is going to be fun.

Assuming, of course, that it doesn"t rain.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer

Then Saturday, for the first time in 2 years, and probably first time properly in 8 years, I"ll be playing cricket. I"m really looking forward to it, and as I"ll be playing on the same team as Adam Sharples, it should be damn good fun!

Hmm That"s Saturday afternoon taken care of  ;D ;D ;D ;D

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member

Hmm That"s Saturday afternoon taken care of  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Unfortunately for you Ger, it"s an away game somewhere in Warrington I believe :p
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n