Author Topic: Goliath,the rock star and getting rich quick  (Read 13497 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Goliath,the rock star and getting rich quick
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »
Long-term APATers will know that I tend to write for a bit, get bored, disappear for a while, return for a while, rename my blog, proclaim some change of direction poker-wise, then repeat the cycle. Given my blogging track record it will be no surprise if in 2 weeks time, this effort gets abandoned and I wander off and do something different. However, rather than reviving the old blog, I thought I"d start a brand new one, if for no other reason than to try and retain my own enthusiasm. Hopefully, if I try and explain the title I"ve chosen it will explain where my head is right now.    
  Its fair to say that I am probably less wrapped-up in playing poker than at any time since I started on the Party Poker free tables some 6-7 years ago. After flogging myself to death trying to turn myself into a cash grinder last year, I found that I simply wasn"t enjoying the game at all, so I"ve re-evaluated a load of stuff and normally restrict myself to what I know I"m damned good at, which is deepstack hold"em tournaments. Last year I managed to maintain my record of making a profit in all bar one of the years I"ve played the game, chiefly through fiercesomely strict bankroll management. The rule I set for myself a long time ago is that my poker has to be completely self-supporting and thankfully that is still the case. However, this year I will allow my day-to-day money to merge slightly with my poker funds and will attempt a pop or two at a decent prize as long as I know I don"t need the "investment" for something else. That brings me to the first part of the blog title. Yesterday I took advantage of Travelodge"s current sale to book myself a couple of nights in some establishments of theirs to the east of Coventry. I wont buy-in for a couple of weeks, but the intention is that I will have a crack at this year"s Goliath at the Ricoh arena on the basis that I can afford to blow the entry fee, so why the hell not? I"ve got a small,local tournament to play in a couple of week"s time, but otherwise I probably wont play live again until August. In the meantime, if anything of note happens of the virtual felt, it will be mentioned here.
  One of the things having an adverse effect on my playing time is that recently a friend of mine asked me to assist with a website he runs. Its called Allthingsnorfolk and was set-up a few years ago to promote independent businesses in my home county. My mate recently revamped/expanded the scope of the site with the intention of it becoming more interactive and reflecting a wider chunk of Norfolk life. Due to me having dabbled with the dark arts of creating writing, I"ve been given, pretty much, a free reign to write anything Norfolk-related. Its very early days, but I"ve got a couple of book reviews pending, I"ve written a piece about my favourite bit of local countryside,did a review of the last gig I went to and have invested in a Phillips dictaphone as I have a couple of interviews lined-up. On the 27th of this month, I will be speaking to Steve Hackett who made his name as the guitarist for Genesis during their early, most critically-acclaimed period, when Peter Gabriel was often seen taking to the stage dressed as a sunflower. A few days later, I  should hopefully be speaking to 80s heavy metal band the Tygers of Pan Tang who are playing a show near me promoted by a rock music journalist friend of mine. Hopefully, if I do a decent job of the two interviews, I will then be in a position to arrange more and my poker-playing time will decrease still further.
  Getting rich quick? Mmm, I"m nothing if not an optimist and I"ve set myself a horseracing related zero-to-hero challenge. In late October/early November I logged into Betafair for the first time in a while found found that I hadn"t cleared the account as I had expected, but that there was around £7 - £8 left. I decided to place three £2 bets for the following day"s racing at Wolverhampton and when 2 of these bets were winners, the seeds of my challenge were sown. Using my Betfair account for racing punts only, I decided to see how far I could spin my funds up using the same degree of control I have exerted over my poker money. The rules were simple; (1) the bet size would stay at £2 until such time as my funds exceded £150 when I would increase to a £3 stake and so on. (2) I would restrict myself to very specific races, namely all-age handicaps at Wolverhampton over 5,6 and 12 furlongs as I felt these were the races that gave me my greatest profitability. I"ve added 6 and 12 furlong races of a similar type at Southwell to my core focus and will also occasionally bet on other races as I see fit. My funds went from £7 ish to over £100 in around a month, but since then progress has slowed a little. I hit a high of £148 a couple of weeks ago and I"m now sitting at the the princely sum of £127.77. With the current inclement conditions, there aren"t many days when there isn"t a viable all-weather bet or two and I"m backing numerous horses at the moment. Some of my results will be on here as well.                      
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:56:17 AM by monkeyman »
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
Re: Goliath,the rock star and getting rich quick
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
Is there any good players in this local tournament in a couple of weeks?

I think Andy is upto about 30 players now. So, the bounty prize of a Goliath seat is guaranteed. I look forward to beating you soon!
:P

(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 17:47:19 PM »

Is there any good players in this local tournament in a couple of weeks?

I think Andy is upto about 30 players now. So, the bounty prize of a Goliath seat is guaranteed. I look forward to beating you soon!
:P

Apparently there is one guy who is a bit of a wiz online. Nothing to worry about though as he is cack live!
   I will be the sole representative of the Norwich posse taking on the might of the North Norfolk batallions. Makes sense for me to win the bounty prize seeing as I"ll be going to Coventry anyway.....

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 23:20:54 PM »

Apparently there is one guy who is a bit of a wiz online. Nothing to worry about though as he is cack live!
   I will be the sole representative of the Norwich posse taking on the might of the North Norfolk batallions buffoons. Makes sense for me to win the bounty prize seeing as I"ll be going to Coventry anyway.....

I have corrected your spelling mistake.

I think North Norfolk will need a bus for the Goliath, everyone has realised if Andy can finish 43rd in it anyone can!  :P
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 23:40:46 PM »
Only one race meeting left on tomorrow, but its my favourite stomping ground of Wolverhampton and even though its a bog-standard race, there is an angle in the 2.40 over 5 furlongs. Cri Na Mara is coming over from Ireland for a first prize of £1704, has recent winning course and distance form and at the 8.8 (On Betfair) I"ve backed him at, is huge value. Add to that Kieren Fallon having his only ride of the day in a 0-52 handicap and I cant look elsewhere.    
    Mind you, I have only had 1 winner in my last 11 bets...................

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 22:50:42 PM »
Despite another loser being added to the ever lengthening list, I"ll try again tomorrow more in hope than expectation. The 4.55 at Southwell is typical of mile and a half races at that track; short of both numbers and quality. I"ve taken a price of 10 regarding Captain Sharpe and fully expect a decent run for my money. Equating jumps form with flat is always fraught with danger, but the selection has been running well of late over hurdles and could well be a little better than the rating of 55 he runs off here.
  Tomorrow night will be my only opportunity for any poker this side of the weekend. Tonight I had to type-up an interview I recorded yesterday and I"m out every night from wednesday to friday. No doubt the poker gods will take pity on me due to my lack of available time and make every race a winning one.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 22:59:46 PM »
So, I return home after an evening watching Rhod Gilbert in a 300 seat theatre and find the APAt league is going to be way deeper and move to Pokerstars. Yeeeeeeeee  haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!   The East will rise again  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 23:32:34 PM »
Another night out and another pokerless 24 hours. I"m beginning to go cold turkey and fear I may do something really silly, like opening an Omaha hi/lo cash table when I crawl home in the early hours of saturday morning. 
   Its not as if I can seek solace in my horse predicting skills as I"ve added another loser to the sequence today. Never mind, there"s loads of juicy racing tomorrow and here for your amusement is where my miniscule investments are going (Betfair odds taken in brackets):

Fakenham 2.35  Black Dragon(26.94) - Probably the most competitive novice hurdle I"ve ever seen run round Fakenham. Black Dragon carries less weight than his rivals due to being a 4 year old and is also aided by the 5 pound claim of the talented Matt Crawley. His last 2 runs have been very impressive and as I believe he is the pick of the weights, the price I"ve taken is generous in the extreme

3.05  Fakenham Gorge (12) . An intriguing race, but most of the runners are eiter out of form or stepping up in trip. Only just got the better of Vincitore, who reopposes, last time, but I"m expecting another victory.

3.40 Fakenham Legendary Hop (11.5). Unlike some of her competitors definitely stays the trip and seems to be making her handicap debut on a lenient mark.

Wolverhampton 5.45 - War of the roses (5.1). Only 2 horses worthy of serious consideration and as this beast has won off considerably higher marks, making it the selection is a no brainer at the price

Wolverhampton 6.15   - Queen of Denmark (1.79). Unoriginal I know and a very short price, but looked impressive when beating the progressive Mazij last time and should win comfortably. I don"t normally like betting odds-on, but in this case the price I"ve taken is value. Boa is rock-solid over course and distance, but will probably be 4 - 5 pounds lower when next winning.    

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 17:55:18 PM »

Another night out and another pokerless 24 hours. I"m beginning to go cold turkey and fear I may do something really silly, like opening an Omaha hi/lo cash table when I crawl home in the early hours of saturday morning. 
   Its not as if I can seek solace in my horse predicting skills as I"ve added another loser to the sequence today. Never mind, there"s loads of juicy racing tomorrow and here for your amusement is where my miniscule investments are going (Betfair odds taken in brackets):

Fakenham 2.35  Black Dragon(26.94) - Probably the most competitive novice hurdle I"ve ever seen run round Fakenham. Black Dragon carries less weight than his rivals due to being a 4 year old and is also aided by the 5 pound claim of the talented Matt Crawley. His last 2 runs have been very impressive and as I believe he is the pick of the weights, the price I"ve taken is generous in the extreme

3.05  Fakenham Gorge (12) . An intriguing race, but most of the runners are eiter out of form or stepping up in trip. Only just got the better of Vincitore, who reopposes, last time, but I"m expecting another victory.

3.40 Fakenham Legendary Hop (11.5). Unlike some of her competitors definitely stays the trip and seems to be making her handicap debut on a lenient mark.

Wolverhampton 5.45 - War of the roses (5.1). Only 2 horses worthy of serious consideration and as this beast has won off considerably higher marks, making it the selection is a no brainer at the price

Wolverhampton 6.15   - Queen of Denmark (1.79). Unoriginal I know and a very short price, but looked impressive when beating the progressive Mazij last time and should win comfortably. I don"t normally like betting odds-on, but in this case the price I"ve taken is value. Boa is rock-solid over course and distance, but will probably be 4 - 5 pounds lower when next winning.    

Oh crikey, this is getting embarassing. Its not so much that none of today"s selections that have run so far have won, but they were all thoroughly slaughtered. There"s only an odds-on shot at 6.15 to save me. Whoops

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 19:00:37 PM »

Oh crikey, this is getting embarassing. Its not so much that none of today"s selections that have run so far have won, but they were all thoroughly slaughtered. There"s only an odds-on shot at 6.15 to save me. Whoops

FFS, even the odds-on shot got beaten. At times like this, beer is the only answer

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 01:50:52 AM »
1.45am saturday morning. Lager,lager, tequila,bitter,tequila,lager,lager,lager. I think that"s how the evening went. I"ve just opened a 6 handed cash table on Sky. Oh ****, this could be carnage
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:53:00 AM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »
9.30am out of bed and hangover free. Nothing of any importance planned for the day, so I"ll see how many hours of online microstakes poker action I can cram in.  First up is the 9.45 £3.30 bounty hunter on Sky. Let battle commence

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »

9.30am out of bed and hangover free. Nothing of any importance planned for the day, so I"ll see how many hours of online microstakes poker action I can cram in.  First up is the 9.45 £3.30 bounty hunter on Sky. Let battle commence

FFS I hope that doesn"t set the tone for the day. Out in 24th of 80 when my  Kd Qd shove was called by  Qs Js and I lost by virtue of there being a Q and J on the flop. Grrrrrrrrr.  Time for a brief break, then I"ll be looking for another tourney to start in 30-60 minutes

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

FFS I hope that doesn"t set the tone for the day. Out in 24th of 80 when my  Kd Qd shove was called by  Qs Js and I lost by virtue of there being a Q and J on the flop. Grrrrrrrrr.  Time for a brief break, then I"ll be looking for another tourney to start in 30-60 minutes

Scrub that. There"s way too much horseracing to watch and there"s also the radio commentary of this afternoon"s Norwich City slaughter of Leicester, so putting my sensible head on, my quest for world domination will be postponed until somewhere around 5-6pm. Be afraid, be very afraid

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 17:22:23 PM »
Well would you believe it? I"ve managed to add another 2 losing horse bets to my ever lengthening list. Looks like I"m going to have to restrict myself to my core all weather handicaps until Cheltenham.
   2nd tournament of the day coming up in the form of the $3.80 $2500 deepstack on 888. In theory there should be tons of play in a tourney with 5000 starting chips and 12 minute blinds, but because of the number of megafish who play this, its normally a case of sitting tight, waiting for a decent hand, inducing someone to go all in, then using your enhanced stack to bully the hell out of those around you.