Author Topic: Pokerpops ponders poker  (Read 159607 times)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pokerpops ponders poker
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2012, 19:23:51 PM »

Raised QQ and got a call from young Mr German who had been accumulating chips at an alarming rate with some remarkable skill in hitting flops, or turns, or rivers...
on a 266 flop he check raised my c-bet and I reluctantly folded (a 6 very likely to be in his range to call a raise)

Obviously wasn"t at the table so cannot compensate for live reads but this is a car crash!

Pictures with Pokerstars team pro"s pleease..looking forward to exit hand now!

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

Raised QQ and got a call from young Mr German who had been accumulating chips at an alarming rate with some remarkable skill in hitting flops, or turns, or rivers...
on a 266 flop he check raised my c-bet and I reluctantly folded (a 6 very likely to be in his range to call a raise)

Obviously wasn"t at the table so cannot compensate for live reads but this is a car crash!

Given the player, the situation, the nature of the tournament (hour clock, plenty of room to play) and the fact that when I say a 6 is very likely to be in his calling range I am pretty certain he has it then I"m not sure why this is a car crash? Had I reported calling here and a big loss of chips I could understand, but I am as sure as can be that this was a good fold.

Pictures with Pokerstars team pro"s pleease..

as soon as I can work out how to post pics here - I have problems with such things

looking forward to exit hand now!

Ghoul!

Day two report later

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »
my very first UKIPT adventure...

Day 2

I was up early and had a look at the DTD site to see that the seating was up for Day 2.
Table 14, seat 5 - Me
Table 14, seat 4 - Olivia Boeree

I"m not a huge Liv fan, she stole on Goldenballs, has a rather sulky demeanour at the table and apart from a rather pretty face her aesthetic appeal is rather limited for me. I"d have been bouncing round like tigger had it been Vicky Coren but sadly she didn"t make Day 2. However, I know that many of my poker buddies will be envious if they know, so I pop a status update on facebook and set off for Nottingham.

34,100 chips at 800/1600/200 just gives me room to raise AhQh and then find a fold on a nasty raggy all black cards flop. Two hands later I get JJ all in vs an ep raiser who calls me with 77 and glory be I have 60k+ - I raise and take down blinds and antes and then it"s folded to Liv in the small blind.
She announces all in for just over 20k and I know her range here is huge so I"m ready to call fairly wide. As it happens I have AJoff and figure that"s a comfy call. I announce my call and flip the cards and Liv says "that"s not good for me" as she turns over J9.
I hold and with a couple of pots after that I reach c140,000 with blinds at 1200/2400/300

I feel comfortable, and confident in my game. We"re approaching the money bubble, but I honestly have no interest now in just "making the money". I want to go deep.
So when I find Ah Kh in late position vs a raiser I 3bet and snap his 48k shove.
His 44 holds.. ok, no matter, I still have 90k left.

And now,
watch your speed,

All three players start the hand with very similar stack sizes

Villain 1 raises from utg+1 to 5100
Villain 2 calls from hijack,
I"m BB with 68off and call...  

Flop is 4 8 6 dd - -

I check, Villain 1 bets 18300
Villain 2 tank folds

I understand it"s all about his range, but whatever he"s raised with here it"s surely safe to assume i"m ahead

I shove....

Villain 1 snap calls - I guess he"s been thinking about this while Villain 2 tanked, and I didn"t rush my chips over the line either so he"s had some time to consider his responses.

He has JJ which suggests that he thinks I"m shoving a drawing hand rather than the two pair/set hands I can easily have here.
Villain 2 announces that he folded JJ

I"m 3:1 to pick up a pot that will take me to double average stack and room to exploit the bubble and the stepped payouts.

Turn 3 and I"m 5:1 favourite

River 3 and I"m out of the tournament

The sense of disbelief can"t be described - I felt physically ill in a way that no other poker hand before has made me feel.

The slow realisation that I had caused the problem with one, horribly leaky, loose call makes me feel better rather than worse. I can learn from this and improve further.

I posted the hand on Blonde and got universal "fold-pre" responses. I also had a good chat with George2Loose and it"s history now. Had the 3 not rolled off on the river who knows what might have happened, but it did.

Losing to that last card in those circumstances was unlucky for me. But I put myself in a position to get that unlucky by making a bad call preflop.

Next time I"m in a £1,000,000 guaranteed tourney I"ll avoid that mistake (but reserve the right to make a different one...)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
Sigh, UL, thats a nasty one, nice to knock Liv out though.

On the 266 board he can raise super wide here. A lot of the time he is likely to think your C betting two overs so can raise a large range - small pairs, suited connectors, etc as a semi bluff. I would call flop raise and a turn bet on all non ace turns and evaluate river. Not sure what 6 he is calling with out of position..

Great write up.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »

Sigh, UL, thats a nasty one, nice to knock Liv out though.

On the 266 board he can raise super wide here. A lot of the time he is likely to think your C betting two overs so can raise a large range - small pairs, suited connectors, etc as a semi bluff. I would call flop raise and a turn bet on all non ace turns and evaluate river. Not sure what 6 he is calling with out of position..

Great write up.

oh he was calling with 46, 56, 67, 68, A6 and a probably a few others beside...

thanks

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 15:46:03 PM »

If its any consolation Dave I"d probably be calling here as well*... and the rest plays itself mate x

*if it was our home game on Thursday  ;) x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »

If its any consolation Dave I"d probably be calling here as well*... and the rest plays itself mate x

No consolation at all Phil. Not even a tiny one.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
I wrote a few weeks ago about how I seemed to be able to run deep and even win low buyin tournaments, but not the big ones. I wondered if it was possible to make the transition.

A decent run in the UKIPT has reassured me a little, but the story of Robert Baguley, the eventual winner of that tournament has reassured me a lot.

http://www.pokernewsreport.com/robert-baguley-takes-down-ukipt-nottingham-main-event-8348

In a nutshell, he"s a regular in the nightly £15FO at DTD and came through a 1625 field to pick up £210,400 having satellited in.

I was at the same table as Baguley at the start of day2 and from my shortish spell at the table with him he played a very solid game and seemed to have a very good idea of where he was in every hand he played. (Now there"s a skill that we"d all love to have!)
Nice guy too - passed his Trebor Extra Strongs round the table :-)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »

No consolation at all Phil. Not even a tiny one.

i"d be raising :)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 23:29:46 PM »
Great TR - told you you had nothing to worry about in this comp.

A few points.

I don"t mind your fold with QQ on the 266 board. This villain probably loves stacking nits who can"t fold overpairs, and tou avoided a big pot against a tricky opponent. However, I would probably call the c/r and evaluate turn as there are plenty of hands in his range that you beat as well as all the 6s.

The exit hand - yes it"s a fold or 3 bet pre but flatting isn"t overly terrible. As played you nearly doubled up and with a bit more luck would have, so it"s just a bad beat, not a car crash.

Liv - she does seem a bit of a misery on the table and she slaughtered my play on tele (correctly I may add) but you can"t condemn the "steal" on goldenballs. Everyone knows that "steal" is the +EV option here. That"s why the show was canned!!

Wp on running deepish and gutted you couldn"t make a cash for a nice return on your satellite entry.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 16:24:16 PM »
Cheers Rob. The Liv stole at Goldenballs was Tongue in Cheek.
Since writing that I"ve seen her extolled on Negreanu"s v-blog as one of the top female poker players along with some video of her guitar playing and booty-shaking which are very impressive

The exit hand? I posted it on the PHA board on Blonde and the universal response was fold pre. Discussed it with George at the event and we agreed that most of us will occasionally "flick it in" but that it is still a mistake because we can half hit so many boards and be put in a position to make further mistakes. What to do on a 7 9 A flop for instance.

Moving on, tonight the Stockton Massive Thursday Home Game is entertaining The Duke. Should be interesting :)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 19:14:14 PM »
Great tourney read Dave, and unlucky, easy to get sucked into that call, and it nearly paid off!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 19:20:11 PM »
Dave, I was 15th last night in sky"s main event got 6 8 suited in small blind shoved the lot in 13 bigs, it didn"t work last night either, got called by q7.

Do you think if you just jammed the lot in the JJ would of folded being so close to the cash ?, have to agree with the general consensus fold pre but on another day you get the lot ul and well played, see you later.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:28 AM »

Dave, I was 15th last night in sky"s main event got 6 8 suited in small blind shoved the lot in 13 bigs, it didn"t work last night either, got called by q7.

Do you think if you just jammed the lot in the JJ would of folded being so close to the cash ?, have to agree with the general consensus fold pre but on another day you get the lot ul and well played, see you later.

I thought about open jamming the flop but figured I was so big vs the other two in the hand that shoving ran the risk of not getting full value....

/endtopic

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 16:26:23 PM »

Moving on, tonight the Stockton Massive Thursday Home Game is entertaining The Duke. Should be interesting :)

Loved the company and the craic........