Author Topic: Pokerpops ponders poker  (Read 159562 times)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pokerpops ponders poker
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 19:42:04 PM »
Floor!!! FLOOR!!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »
Another day another trip to DTD.

I"m playing Day 1a of their Grand Prix  VI - E100,000 guaranteed for a E50 buy in has to be attempted. I managed to pick up a Golden Chip too, played the first two satellites and binked the second. This means that making the final table would get me a package to play in the DTD Caribbean Poker Party... worth about £6000.

Every journey begins with a single step and today"s aim is to survive through to Day 2 next Saturday, with a playable stack. DTD now play the same structure for all of their comps with the adjustment being the clock. It"s such an obvious idea and I hope others will catch on to it. They"ve put in pretty much every level you can imagine playing, and a couple you couldn"t and they are using it for tourneys from £20 to £1000. The difference being that at £20 you get a 15minute clock, and at £1000 you"ll get 2 hrs. Today we have 30 minutes which at DTD standard dealing means we"ll get at least an orbit and a half at each level.

Today I"m accompanied by my Heads Up nemesis Lucy. Father"s shouldn"t beat their daughters should they? This father can"t even when he tries, which is all the time. I can take her chips in normal play, sometimes. But Heads Up? Not a prayer. We travel to Festivals a lot (Leeds, Glastonbury, Wychwood) and have always taken cards and chips for the occasional game and I just can"t win. We got to HU in a tourney one night at Rileys and everyone expected us to snap split it... not a chance, Lucy doesn"t do deals HU against anyone, and even if she did she wouldn"t do it against me. About eight hands later she"d shown why. She has some form at DTD too having come 4th in a £25 the first time she played there.

I"m also taking a DTD virgin. Martin plays at Gala and G locally but has never played a tourney above 80 runners. His aggressive style may see fireworks early...

Oh, and for the first time ever I"m NOT the driver.
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
Dusk Till Dawn Grand Prix VI Day 1a..

Never, in the course of poker conflict, was so much won with so little.

Never give in, never give in; never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except when your read tells you that you are almost certainly drawing dead and your opponent isn"t about to fold.

I rewrote the records for my longest period of being card and spot dead yesterday. In seven and a half hours I had no pair greater than nines, only had AK once (late on) and generally had nothing better than AQ (mostly AQoff) and a table made up of people who just loved to see flops.
Raising AQ/AJ/A10/KQ led, inevitably to a nine high flop which equally inevitably either paired on the turn or completed every straight or flush draw possible.

It was an interesting experience on Table 32, where I remained, in seat 5 all day. The guy in seat 4 sat with me throughout and the rest of the table came and went and brought lesser and greater amounts of amusement. Take the guy who started in Seat One.
Easily seduced he saw every pair of hole cards as "the one". This was the hand that was going to build his stack. Whatever the cost he wanted to see the Flop.
Every flop brought further possibilities and it seemed he was prepared to pay again to just see that turn card.
Ohh, sweet lord, that turn card looks so good and  all he needs now, to fulfil his dream of domination is to see the river card. "What"s that?  I have to call another bet? Oh yes please"
But then, like the guy on Chicks"r"us.com he"d discover it was all false promises. The hot 23yr old contortionist with morals looser than her joints who lives in YOUR postcode turned out to be a 53yr old 23st trucker with hygiene issues from Cleethorpes called Frank, and the Jack of Hearts/seven of diamonds/three of clubs he was praying for wouldn"t arrive and another dream was shattered.

In this company - where raises were frequently excessive and calls were loose I opted to sit and watch a lot. Eventually I found a few spots where my button raise could be confidently c-bet and elicit a fold or two. I managed to catch top pair second nut flush draw on one flop and get a little value when the flush card came. Made a hero call vs the guy in seat two who wanted so much to be table captain but just couldn"t manage it. I think my call inspired the young lad in seat six to hero call the same guy later with 44 on a board with five overcards... he was right too.

A few significant hands all from late on,

level 13 I think. I raise AK and am in position to the one caller
Flop J 10 8, he checks, I bet, he calls.
Turn 10, he checks, I check behind
a rivered Q gives me broadway on a paired three diamonds board, he checks
I bet
he raises...
I have the Ad and think that reduces the likelihood of him check raising a flush, I can"t see him playing J10/Q10/108 this way and opt to call. He turns over Q9 for the flopped straight...

I 3-bet Seat9 with Ad 9d because her physical tells said that her raise wasn"t with a big hand. She flats and a 688 flop has only one diamond, she looks more relaxed now so I check. Her bet on the turn looks very confident and I hollywood for maybe 20 seconds and fold. She shows 66 for the flopped boat.

Last level of the day, 1000/2000/300 and I"m down to 18300.
Serial raiser in Seat One min raises to 4000, folds to me and I have 44 - easy shove. Youngster in the seat next to me also shoves for slightly less and original raiser finds a fold.

44 vs AK - we"re off to the races and I hold :-)

Shortly after the new occupant of seat nine limps utg, folded to seat 4 who makes it 6,000 and I squeeze a glimpse of AQ.
44000 chips slide over the line and it folds to seat nine who has 100k+ at this stage. He tanks and calls and my longterm neighbour folds
and it"s AQ vs 88 - we"re off to the races again.
Ace on the flop and Q on the river and I have over average chips for the first time all day. Seat 4 apparently folded AK there...

Ten minutes later it"s the end of the day. 88 players have survived. I bagged up 89000 exactly which, given the day, given the run of cards, I am pretty happy with.

Big Martin had his run of cards early and was on 50-60k at the first break. Eventually he lost two or three flips in a row and exited in level 10 or 11. He loved the experience and is keen to return. I"ve often said it, but DTD does spoil you for playing poker elsewhere.

Sadly, Lucy3103"s also tournament went badly - she called a preflop raise with AJ and flopped top two pair vs a stubborn preflop raiser who got it all in in the first orbit with KK and rivered a king...
Brutal!

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
Well done Dave :) and you"ve got one of those willy wonker golden ticket things as well? happy days :) x

Sorry to hear about Lucy and big Martin though

p.s. just to get this right... the guy who flopped the straight...

1. Check calls the flop
2. Checks the turn
3. Then check raises once the boards paired and has 3 suited cards on it?

???

Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »

Well done Dave :) and you"ve got one of those willy wonker golden ticket things as well? happy days :) x

Sorry to hear about Lucy and big Martin though

1. Check calls the flop - correct
2. Checks the turn  - correct
3. Then check raises once the boards paired and has 3 suited cards on it? - correct

???

that was far from the worst play of the day...

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
well done on making day 2 Dave. I will also see you there again on the saturday after bagging up 77800 myself.

I had done half my stack after the first level but got lucky (obv) in a few spots to get back in it. Was on 130K by level 12 but had a wretched time in the last 3 levels. I was probably desperately trying to be table captain like the guy on your table and like him, failed.

I was staggered at the standard of play in this tourney, it did defy belief.

Hand of the day was: 250/500/50

fold to me in MP with AQ, raise to 1100, both blinds call. flop J52 rainbow

SB donk leads 1500, BB raises to 4K. Does anyone care what I may have?? no?? Ok I fold. SB calls.

turn is a K and SB donk leads again for 7K and gets raised to 17K. SB tanks. He has 14K left. He calls leaving himself 4K and a 45K pot

river is a 3. SB checks. BB puts him in and SB snap folds TQo face up, saying "I was drawing!!". BB had a set of Jacks.

Have to agree that the structure was awesome for a 30min clock.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
I decided that attempting to be Table Captain without an absolute rush of cards beyond all reason would be a bit like trying to Captain these

and turn them into these

I doubt that even

could manage that

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 13:01:47 PM »
quality!!

The lesson has been learnt
Rob, you are a genius.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2012, 13:06:03 PM »

quality!!

Glad to have helped...

shame the football results went as they did, although Lolpool losing to Woy"s new team took some of my disappointment away

see you at the weekend

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2012, 13:15:48 PM »

quality!!

Glad to have helped...

shame the football results went as they did, although Lolpool losing to Woy"s new team took some of my disappointment away

see you at the weekend

[  ] sure was gutted as well about the results
Rob, you are a genius.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2012, 13:21:53 PM »

quality!!

Glad to have helped...

see you at the weekend

[  ] sure was gutted as well about the results

LOL - I see it running out like this

MCFC holding  10c 10d

MUFC holding  A s Ks

flop  10s 10d  2c
turn   Js

river..........    Qs

that"s the heart"s view, but sadly, in my head I see that Q being clubs and of no value versus the quads

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 14:58:54 PM »

1. Check calls the flop
2. Checks the turn
3. Then check raises once the boards paired and has 3 suited cards on it?

???

Isn"t the run in more like this  ::) .... Man U flop the straight and thinks it happy days... but gets rivered after thinking they played it brilliantly and everyone points and giggles a bit at the end?  ;) x

Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »
Ventured out to G Tuesday night for the £10+£10+£10. Got 20 runners and started pretty much on time which meant that I took my seat late which excused me from my usual role as dealer. Mistake!
The Barca/Chelsea game was on and with this added distraction we played around 10 hands in the first 30 minute level...

I made the break and took my addon (having taken my rebuy earlier when Q10 wasn"t good vs A10 on a 10 high flop. Young lad in cap and shades who loves to see flops and takes some bizarre lines jammed the flop having raised pre and it felt so much like AK/AQ that I called instantly... oh well.

Shortly after the break a commotion broke out on the other table - it seems that one of the less experienced players, facing a bet of 1000 had picked up a stack of 1000 chips and said, as he dropped five of them one by one to the table "I bet 5,000"
Instantly the original raiser accused him of string betting and a cacophony of voices filled the room with bull****.
Players on our table who had had their back to the action joined in with their view of events and the CRM was called. His ruling was that since the bet had been made in one move, ie the chips had been placed without the hand having to go back to the better"s stack, it was not a string bet and the raise stood.
Ruling called for and given but the noise continued. The original raiser lost the pot and stormed out of the room. The innocent, not understanding the fuss, "not a string better", victim of the aggravation said "I"ll just not bother coming back".
My own view, FWIW, is that people cry "string bet" way too easily and always when they don"t want to be raised. The angle-shooters pick up on the slightest error and use it to their advantage, one chip from maybe 8 slips from the hand en route to being placed as a bet and hey presto "STRING BET!"
We had an example in the GP on Sunday. Seat 9 picked up four chips to re-raise Seat 2"s raise. In making the bet, one of the larger chips hit part of her original bet and bounced back towards her so she pushed it back in. Now, Seat 2 didn"t see the bounce back, but he instantly cried the cry and attempted to escape the raise. Luckily, others at the table had seen what happened and we were at DTD where the dealers are alert and in control.
Obvious string bets just don"t happen, and have you ever seen someone cry "String Bet" and then fold to the smaller bet?

Eventually it calmed down and we continued and I won a pot where I had a better idea of my opponents cards than he did...
I raised the button 5 handed with Ks 10d
on a K J 7flop with 2 spades villain led out for 1500 into 4000 and called my raise to 5500
we checked a blank turn and he led 8000 on the 3s river
Now I was sure he didn"t have the flush - he"d made some strange plays all night and I was sure my pair of Kings was good and if I was wrong then so be it. So I pushed for about 5000 more and he snap called and turned over his cards really quickly and confidently.
So confidently that I had to look at them for a long time to see that all he had was a pair of jacks.
I pointed to my king and said "mine I believe" and he confessed that he"d thought he had the flush...
#lovetheidiots

I bust out shortly after when having raised Ad Qd and shoving an 8d 5d 5s flop
I was called by 10 10 and the 5 on the turn finished me off as Seat 7 bemoaned having folded J5 to my preflop raise
#lovetheidiots

Off to DTD for Day 2 of GP VI on Saturday. Really looking forward to that.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »

Shortly after the break a commotion broke out on the other table - it seems that one of the less experienced players, facing a bet of 1000 had picked up a stack of 1000 chips and said, as he dropped five of them one by one to the table "I bet 5,000"
Instantly the original raiser accused him of string betting and a cacophony of voices filled the room with bull****.
Players on our table who had had their back to the action joined in with their view of events and the CRM was called. His ruling was that since the bet had been made in one move, ie the chips had been placed without the hand having to go back to the better"s stack, it was not a string bet and the raise stood.

Correct ruling, according to Grosvenor"s new rule, ie that you can place the chips that are in your hand one-by-one. Much more sensible.

My own view, FWIW, is that people cry "string bet" way too easily and always when they don"t want to be raised. The angle-shooters pick up on the slightest error and use it to their advantage, one chip from maybe 8 slips from the hand en route to being placed as a bet and hey presto "STRING BET!"

Totally agree. The whole string bet thing should be done away with imo. The only justification is supposed to be that someone can gain an advantage by judging another player"s reaction as they gradually put in more chips, which is nonsense. How many of us are that good that we can distinguish whether another player is pleased or disappointed to see the bet increasing? Most players don"t pick up on much more obvious tells so how are they going to pick up on something significant in that couple of seconds and then interpret correctly anything they do see? No-one string bets (which may be because there is the rule) but you hear objections and people made to take bets back, partly because people slavishly follow a rule they don"t understand and partly because someone wants to see the next card cheaply. This person is the angle-shooter, not the one who has made the so-called string bet.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
Good to see that someone from the Stockton massive can actually play  ;D

Dave has made day three of the DTD grand prix. There are 25 left from 2300+ starters and he is right up there with the chipleaders.

He won"t mind me mentioning that he also has a golden chip, that will be worth 6k if he makes the final.

I for one will be following his progress on blonde.

Glglgl
Rob, you are a genius.