Author Topic: Pokerpops ponders poker  (Read 159603 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pokerpops ponders poker
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2012, 16:37:13 PM »
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
DTD £500 MegaStack Day 1a - The Freeroll :)

Travelled down to DTD with Brian and arrived in good time to wait in the car for 10 minutes or so before they opened the doors at 1.30 :-)

As ever the seat draw appeared on the screens with around 3 minutes to the start and we avoided each other and both had reasonable draws. Seat 7 would be my first choice for every tournament and table 35 was unlikely to break early. Bri was on 28 I think and again should stay there for quite a while.
At the allotted start time Seat 2 and I played a heads up pot. I limped in, he completed, we checked to the river and my Ace high took me above my starting stack and the average by 200 chips. Gave a few back on hand two and settled in for a long haul.

50,000 chips is a huge amount to have starting at 50/100 with a 40 minute clock and although I had a statistically unlikely number of hands with deuces in them, and won very few pots of significance, I managed to end the day with 150,500 and be one of the 55 from the day who will return on Sunday for Day 2.

Thinking back, I can only remember winning about half a dozen hands that involved more than a raise pre, or a raise and a c-bet.

J9 where I raised pre, checked the flop, bet the turn with an OESD and made the straight on the river of 5 8 4 10 7 but my gin card made three to the flush - I value bet with a plan to fold to any serious raise and got called by a very disappointed holder of JJ.
QQ where the station of the table called my raise pre to 750 at 150/300/25, called 1200 on the 10 high flop, 2400 on a blank turn and 5100 on a blank river. I flipped my hand the instant he called and he just looked blankly at them and folded.
K9hh which I raised pre from the button and again got HU with the station. I took a very similar line to the QQ hand which was still fresh in his memory and fired a bet on the river with my K high on a 10 Q x x 10 2hrts board. I figured he could only call with a 10 which he"d lead on the river...
AA - I 3bet a new arrival at the table and he check raised my 7.5k on a 10 5 5 flop to 15k.
I flatted and he bet 25k on an 8 turn.
I had around 35k at this stage and got it in - no fives in his hand unless he"s flopped quads, the only thing I really fear is pocket tens (or maybe eights) but that felt a lot less likely, and if he has either then sigh gg).
he proudly turned over Q 10 and looked pleased to see the Q on the river to give him two pair until we pointed out that my aces plus the two fives on the flop ...

I peaked at around 180k but a lack of cards and spots and a couple of minor errors left me where I am. Looking back, I had 89k at the start of Day2 of the April GP, and 134k in the July one. They both seemed to work out ok :)
We"re one level further in, but playing an hour not 40 minutes so roll on Sunday!

As ever I got loads of supportive texts from The Massive and I"m sure they already know this, but it is really really appreciated.

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
Looks like you and Brian are in pretty decent shape for Sunday. Does it finish Sunday? Should I have the car ready for a zoom down the M1 Sunday evening? x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2012, 01:11:35 AM »
Gl on sunday Dave
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #229 on: September 01, 2012, 01:47:45 AM »
Yes, good luck to you both
:)
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: September 01, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »

Looks like you and Brian are in pretty decent shape for Sunday. Does it finish Sunday? Should I have the car ready for a zoom down the M1 Sunday evening? x

Three day event, finishes on Monday, be ready to take an afternoon off to rail Bri. I reckon swapping a small % with him could prove to be the shrewdest move I"ve made in ages.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »
DTD Day 2

220 left, £500,000 to play for

A field with a lot of class acts remaining, Perrins, Devilfish, Goulder, Former UKIPT winner Gaz Walker, lil"dave Nicholson, and many others with some great results and skillz

Days like this are why we play this game.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2012, 06:49:13 AM »
[youtube=425,350] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTT3ftIeTeU [/youtube]

More detailed report later, to include details of how I lost over 40% of my stack on the first hand of the day; how AQ accounted for two of the Kidz; and the inside track on how to play 8d3d.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2012, 13:25:04 PM »
DTD £500k Guaranteed Day 2

Once again I travelled with Brian and, having paused at Woodall Services for the obligatory mug of Starbucks Pike Place coffee, and to the ASDA in South Woodford, we arrived at DTD pretty much on the dot of the doors opening at 1.30

Having checked the seat draw I was delighted with the prospect of having Dan Morgan and Sean Belton (Zerofive on Blonde) in the seats to my left.
It was also good to note that Marcin Milde was to my right with a well over double average stack !!

Hand one - My SB.
Two folds to Deborah Rawson, who shoves her 66,500 over the line. Folds to me and I peel back the cards to see two lovely ladies peering back at me. Only Dan to act, do I want him in or out? His stack is pretty much the same as mine and I decide to flat call the all in and to call Dan if he overshoves. He doesn"t and Deborah"s King Jack improves with a King on the turn to reduce my stack to around 15 bigs, an M of 5.
Great start to my proposed deep run :-(

15 minutes later, having pushed with JJ and got no callers I push again sb into big vs Dan Morgan with AQ (it was a bonus to have a hand as strong as this and to be at the top end of my range) - he calls with K9ss and I hold for a double up plus the antes and we"re off on the rollercoaster.

The entire tournament I"d been playing with a stack that ranged from 12 to 20 BBs, rarely above 3/4 of average stack for any length of time. It seemed that every time I got close to that position something would go awry.
I lost count of the times I raised AK, got a caller and a raggy flop and had to fold. Some were cheap, but some I folded to a check raise which put a bigger dent in the stack.

The deuces kept coming too, with their friends which all seemed to be under 9.

When my stack slipped lower I timed my pushes well and it seemed that I got folds when I needed them and calls likewise.

EVentually we got to be hand for hand and luckily this fell at a time when I wasn"t under pressure. 3/4 average still being playable.

I"d moved tables early in the day and escaped from a pretty active group to play on a table where the 3bet was a rarity and given more credit. This suits me and although I still couldn"t get the stack to grow significantly I stayed away from being in just shove/fold mode mostly.

Finally, with the bubble burst I was moved to Table 14 - imagine my joy at finding that I had Alex Goulder two to my rght :s
Picked up chips with an all in pre AK>AQ and then a few hands later
Alex shoved from EP and I made a simple call with AQ and held to beat his A5

Close to average at that point with 500k at 8k/16k/1k

I chipped up to 800 vs an average of 650 over the next hour and then, having lost a few came the hand of the day

A scene setter first. Mark Elliott in Seat 2 had peeled a lot of my raises and 3bets and a few hands before he"d raised, peeled my 3bet and we"d checked down a Q J 10 8 10 board until he bet around a third of the pot on the river to show A10. I folded but it was generally felt that I must have had AA from my reaction on seeing his A10. I felt then that the peel wasn"t great and that it was likely that he"d have folded to a c-bet on most boards and that I could reasonably 3bet him fairly light.

SPEW ALERT SPEW ALERT

So, he raises to 53k at 12/24/2 it"s folded to me (seat 6) and I 3bet to 92k from around 600k with 8d 3d
He peels........
Flop 9d 10d Jh, he checks, I bet he raises, I contemplate the situation for a moment, deciding if my flush outs are good, and the rest is history. (for new readers, he had AJo and I hit the 7h on the river)
I believe that a c-bet on any raggy low flop would secure the pot, and TPTK isn"t always the hand to call with here?

Regardless - reuslts ortiented thinking says Well Played Sir and I now have well over 1MM chips

Lee Taylor meanwhile in Seat 3 seemed to be getting my share of them Aces. He"d eliminated one player when his AA went all in pre vs QQ and held. He"d been active too, and had shown them again after a 3bet brought a fold from the original raiser.

He raises too 65k at 15/30/4, I 3bet to 110, he 4bets to 225... I"m not loving this, but KK is so far above the range he"s seen me 3bet with and surely he"s had his share of the rockets?
I look up at the dealer and announce all in. He calls before I can move my chips and sure enough, he"s got them again :(
An ace on the flop kills my hopes and I"m gone in 52nd position.

£1600 from a freeroll should be cause for celebration. It will be eventually.

One thing that was rather pleasing - during one of the breaks late on Sunday I introduced myself to Rob Yong. Once he"d worked out that I was "that guy" and was still in this tournament he told me that I "must have some game". I"m not so sure about that, three results isn"t much of a sample, but it was good to hear nonetheless.

What next?

UKIPT Newcastle online satellites appear to have finished but there is a live satellite at Aspers tomorrow. Five seats guaranteed in a £50+£50 format. If I fail to satellite I am contemplating selling some of my action. I"ve posted an interest thread .
DTD are announcing the next Grand Prix soon - that"s a must.
Satellites to the Monte Carlo will be announced soon too and that"s on the radar too.

In the immediate future though - Tuesday"s £10+£10+£10 at G gets sacrificed for the satellite and then so does the Thursday home game for the UKIPT if I play

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2012, 14:22:23 PM »
Was a pleasure to share the trip Dave, I know how disappointed you were with the last hand, and as discussed last night  you are never only calling there with the possibility of folding when the ace hits, its just not you, me I fold pre flop lol, was good to hear you stuck it into the eyes with 10 10 as well, must of been a good coach to get that through  ;D.

When the dust settles £1520 from a free roll is not a bad effort, now get that ukipt seat sorted one way or the other and get on the tele, (if it is televised not sure).

Hero !!!!.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2012, 18:22:36 PM »
Great report Dave. Love the 83 hand as did everyone (bar one) on the updates.

Well done on a great string of live results
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2012, 19:38:44 PM »
Great report and loved the text updates over the weekend from you and Brian.

Really love the 83 even though initially I though you"d flopped the flush  ;D

Going to proper hammer the grand prix qualifiers coming up.. will make the Caribbean if it kills me.. have mankini at the ready :)

ps Contemplating the £300 + £30 on the Saturday Dave.. if you go up tomorrow can you see if I need to pre reg or if I can just turn up on the night. Love you x

Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2012, 20:34:28 PM »
I love your style of reporting David, your style of play and your totally unpretentious manner.

I don"t think I"ve met you in person, but I look forward to that occassion very much.

Keep playing and keep blogging.

Very well played

Ian

:)

ps Do you give lessons? .................... Phil TC was asking like!
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
Thank you Ian

I give (and receive) lessons most Thursdays.
Generally at my expense rather than that of the others, I"m the value on Thursday nights.
Highest in VPIP%;PFR%;3bet%; re-entrys.
The re-entry option was only added because one tenner from me wasn"t enough for the rest of them. There"s even moves now to allow two re-entries so they can get £30 from me every week.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »