Author Topic: Pokerpops ponders poker  (Read 159547 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pokerpops ponders poker
« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
4 September 2012 - Aspers Newcastle, 5 seats guaranteed Satellite to UKIPT Newcastle ME

I arrived to register around 15 minutes before the advertised start time and was #6 on the list. "We need 15 to run it" I"m told. "It should happen, but we can"t start without 15 in".

Eventually at around 8.20 we have 20 runners and we"re off, still 5 seats guaranteed and if only they"d taken my suggestion and locked the doors this might be a very different report.
The numbers continued to grow and by the end of the buyin period there were 43, no overlay and a 6th prize of £550.

I exited in 30th after an eventful night in what is possibly the poorest environment for poker that I have experienced to date. I know I"m spoilt at the moment. My recent long hours at the table have been at DTD which sets the bar pretty high for the rest; at G Stockton where the levels of service are great and the failings in organisation can be smiled off because of the personality and keenness of the staff; and at Rileys where the game is small, "ours", and not to be taken too seriously.

The buy in was £50+£5 with an option of one rebuy and an add-on. Starting stack and rebuy of 5k and an add-on of 8k meant that even for those who didn"t need a rebuy this was effectively a £100/£150 tournament.
Self-dealt.
That"s right folks,
Self-dealt.

My starting table would have sat through the first level with the cards till spread across the centre had I not volunteered. So away we go.

I lose a few chips, win a few chips and eventually, having raised 77 from the cut off and HU v button I check raised an A high flop. Led the turn and jammed the no flush no straight river - he called, for 2/3 his stack with the words "I can beat one pair but I"m out-kicked so often here..." A 7. Nice hand sir.

I take my rebuy. Chip up with three streets of small value with KJ on a K high board with a stubborn caller showing down K4, and again when my AQ outkicks A9 and then, last hand before the break, I make a dealer error. I fail to see that there is a third player in a hand that I thought was just me and one other... It gets messy and the story won"t be told here. Suffice to say it was my fault and it had an impact on me. Had I not already passed over my add-on money I probably wouldn"t have played on. Play on I did, however, but when one of the cardroom staff arrived asking for "Next big blind" I opted not to take "dealers privilege" and to move.

I was calming down now, someone else was dealing and I breathed deeply and settled in for the duration. Still 40 runners at this stage, so it was going to be a long haul, but I had an above average stack with plenty of playability.

Had little to work with on this table and resorted to some creative 3betting and opening. I was picking up chips but missed a tonne of value when 3betting Mr Tight with 5c 6c and seeing a flop of 3c 4d 7c. He checked, I bet (WHY WHY WHY?) he folded.

Ran into the most surprising set of Queens ever for around half my stack and finally jammed around 8 bigs with K 10 from cut off to be called by AJ. K on the flop, but the A on the river sent me home.

How did I feel about that I hear you ask...

In a word, relieved.
As I drove home I was, truly, relieved not to be faced with a noon start tomorrow and 12 x 1hr levels of deepstack poker. I know that were I playing I"d have looked for the zest and energy, and I"d have tried for the focus and the commitment. Especially had I played it on a staked basis. BUT, I don"t believe I"d have found that zest, nor would I have summoned up the focus. The last few weeks have been long and tiring and UKIPT Newcastle would have been a bridge too far. 

So they will have to muddle on without my involvement. I"m sure that Liv, Vicky and the rest of the field will breathe a huge sigh of relief to hear that.

Looks like it"s a weekly donation to the "nobbers" then. Or a break for a few days to recharge the batteries.

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #241 on: September 05, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
Ul Dave, one game too far possibly, pretty poor self deal in a £150 comp, found the book you asked about will bring tomorrow.

Similar situation at Gala last night regged late, got to table cards were being passed around as no one wanted to deal, offered to deal and pretty much forgot to play.

Eventually limped with K8 in small blind 200/400 as every one had limped k87 flop, get it all in v KJ, you can probably guess the turn and river, couldn"t be bothered to see if he covered me think he did.

Ran golden Monday, ran not soo Tuesday, that"s poker, see you tomorrow.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2012, 13:42:43 PM »
Another Thursday night, another chance to play the nobbers.

This will be my first Thursday game for a while - I missed the last three at least. One for a funeral, one for Leeds Festival and one because I was playing elsewhere...

At one stage I had hoped to miss this one too, but now, having not made the UKIPT it will make a pleasant change to be back with the crowd that have been my constant playing partners over the last 6 years or so. I"m looking forward to meeting JP Round for a little longer than the brief chat we had at Coventry some time ago. He"s a fellow Northamptonian I believe so we can discuss the delights of Gallones IceCream and the joys of the pub crawl along the Wellingborough Road that has been attempted so often and rarely completed.
It will also be good to be at the table with TC again. Although it may not be for long given my record in these games. Much will depend on the state of the cash game around 9 o"clock.

TC is writing pen portraits of the gang  promised to write pen portraits but has been too lazy to do it yet. But I think a word or two about our spiritual leader is appropriate.
Phil is, without question, the most genuinel likeable bloke I know. I use the word bloke advisedly because that"s him. A man"s man who will end every text or email he ever sends you with an x and never expect you to actually kiss him. A man who isn"t afraid to hug you but would never grab your bum or grind himself against your thigh. A man who will express his love for you verbally but never force his sweating body onto yours.
I, like many others, love Phil and the game is never ever quite the same when he isn"t there. His recent business success is proof that nice guys don"t have to finish last.

Love you fella xx

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2012, 13:59:56 PM »

Phil is, without question, the most genuinel likeable bloke I know. I use the word bloke advisedly because that"s him. A man"s man who will end every text or email he ever sends you with an x and never expect you to actually kiss him. A man who isn"t afraid to hug you but would never grab your bum or grind himself against your thigh. A man who will express his love for you verbally but never force his sweating body onto yours.
I, like many others, love Phil and the game is never ever quite the same when he isn"t there. His recent business success is proof that nice guys don"t have to finish last.

Someone should have told Jack this bit ;-)

I feel a TC appreciation facebook page coming on  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It"s all true though ... one of the most likeable, genuine, respected blokes out there  :-*

Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2012, 14:29:31 PM »

Love you fella xx

QFT
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2012, 14:41:27 PM »

TC is writing pen portraits of the gang  promised to write pen portraits but has been too lazy to do it yet.

Its coming! Was going to wait just before the invasion.. so it was too late for people to cancel  ;D

But I Love you fella xx

Love you too Dave. Don"t get me started.. almost felt myself welling up a little there  :o

You know I honestly feel privileged to have such a fantastic set of friends, couldn"t want for a better set of people to call my mates. Both here and within the APAT community.

They say you can judge a man based on the company he keeps. The company I keep are kings (and queens Mich!) among men x

I feel a TC appreciation facebook page coming on  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Haha.. the last time I logged onto Facebook one of the massive was posting up "Phil midget lookalikeys".. almost the same as an appreciation page  ;D .. I mean do I really look like this?

;D ... ok fair play.. haha xx
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2012, 15:00:36 PM »

Haha.. the last time I logged onto Facebook one of the massive was posting up "Phil midget lookalikeys".. almost the same as an appreciation page  ;D .. I mean do I really look like this?

;D ... ok fair play.. haha xx

Now you know why I looked so scared when these were taken  ;D

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2012, 15:05:05 PM »
although phil is constantly wanting kisses, feeling my arse and trying to hump my leg on a thursday night...
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2012, 15:10:32 PM »

although phil is constantly wanting kisses, feeling my **** and trying to hump my leg on a thursday night...

Now I feel rejected...

Is this why you went with the facial hair growth?

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2012, 15:15:57 PM »

Michelle...you don"t look scared...you look like you"ve found an extra hand where you weren"t expecting one
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
It was a pleasure to play the Thursday home game last night in the company of pretty much the entire rollcall of players and our visitor.
Politeness dictated that we should go easy on JP and everyone seemed to do so. Stu gifted him a sizable chunk and then so did our dealer when he managed a threeway all in coup with A 10 - vs my AQ and Mr Motson"s AK the board rolled out 8686 ............. 10

I left around 1.20 with JP in Heads Up combat with the Rock - what time it finished I know not, but Stu"s post at 2.28 suggests it went on for a while...

A pleasure to meet you sir - even if you did deliver a crippling blow to my self-image with the seven words "You went to school with my Dad".

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
heads up was possibly the most painful thing ever.*

the blinds got to 8000/16000 ffs!!!

*except my head this morning.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2012, 20:58:38 PM »

Michelle...you don"t look scared...you look like you"ve found an extra hand where you weren"t expecting one

I read that as "head" ..... which also works for that sentence  ;D

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2012, 23:43:52 PM »

Politeness dictated that we should go easy on JP ............so did our dealer when he managed a threeway all in coup with A 10 - vs my AQ and Mr Motson"s AK the board rolled out 8686 ............. 10

I was happy with the chop on the turn to be honest  :)

A pleasure to meet you sir - even if you did deliver a crippling blow to my self-image with the seven words "You went to school with my Dad".

The pleasure was mine...

and for those reading, this was not some sick ageist insult designed to tilt or offend, I knew Dave had Northampton connections from the blog but hadn"t realised that it was his home town. We got chatting and established that yes, Dave was in fact at the same school and in the same year as my Dad.

NB - my Dad was only 18 when i was born so it could have been worse  ;)
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2012, 14:54:16 PM »
Quick update - Sunday"s tournament at G was going ok until ...

SO... I took a seat at the cash table. 25/50p with a regular straddle. I sit with £100 which is the max and there is one other stack of similar size in front of a lady who I"ve never seen before, and most others are <£50.
First hand I river two pair and collect a small pot.
Second hand I check my £1 straddle with  6s 7c and see a flop of  8h 5s 4d
There"s a £5 bet on the flop which I"m happy to call with one other and three of us see the  8s turn.
I lead for £10, the other big stack raises to £25 and this brings a shove of £23 which is just small enough for me to be able to reshove, which obviously I have to.
I get a call from the lady and I"m wondering if I"ve run into a funky full house. River is a blank and I flip my cards declaring a straight. She shows 83o for turned trips with a three kicker and the third player in the pot mucks saying he wanted another spade...
Two hands later I complete from the sb with  Kd 2d and hit a flop of  3d 4d 5c - I bet, get raised and reraise to get the lot in. Flush card arrives on the river and apparently I"ve beaten 6 7 for the flopped nut straight.
After that, having tripled my money it was two and a half hours of going down to c£250 and then up to £350 and eventually cashing out for £300 and having my hourly rate drop significantly.
It was fun though and all helps to build the image.

Tonight I"ll be hoping for sufficient runners at the G for the Tuesday game to start, or for enough to turn up to start a cash table. Failing which I may, just may, make a trip to the dark side and play some cash there...