Author Topic: Pokerpops ponders poker  (Read 161165 times)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pokerpops ponders poker
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2012, 18:12:10 PM »
what time is kick off tonight dave? me and the rock will donate i think.

EDIT

Off to teh 3 horsepoo"s for old times sake :p
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 18:28:11 PM by Fatcatstu »
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
I find it difficult to reconcile a view of someone as being a decent, winning, player with my view that anyone who can"t accept that outdraws and "bad beats" are any more likely online/on a specific site than they are live fails to appreciate the underlying role of variance in the game. After all, if it weren"t for luck, there would be no skill in poker.

Outdraws happen and thinking that somehow "it happens more often on xxx site" is, to my mind, counter-productive.

AA loses to QQ approximately once in five times, AK beats KK around once in three - it happens. More importantly, it happens just as often live as it does on Stars/FTP/DTD/888 et al. Runner runner, "one-outers", that "miracle card", none of them are ever less likely than a 46/1 shot. Contrast that with the chances of winning the lottery.
With two outs and one card to come the odds are better than those for the roulette ball landing on "lucky seven" on the next spin.
With two outs and two cards to come our opponents chance is about the same as the ball landing in one to six on that wheel.
Poker odds don"t run into the miracles area.

We learn this and we learn to live with it - we tell bad beat stories sometimes to help exorcise the demons, and we get back in the game and hope to be on the right side of some of the beats in statistical balance with those we lose.

I ran pretty bad last night in a mini satellite for this weekend"s £100+10 at G. All in and ahead vs a shortstack twice and both times he came from behind and beat me. Eventually Brian (as reported elsewhere) found AA and held vs a QQ raise, and my K9 steal attempt. This was one of the 7 out of 10 times that AA holds, but had it not done so I know that Brian"s toys would have remained firmly positioned in the pram :)

I ran good on blackjack though and having spun my £3 change from the reg fee into £45 before we started, I then span it further up to £220 giving me my buyin for Saturday (and change) via a different route :-)

Variance, it"s unavoidable. We deal with it.

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #257 on: September 12, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »

I find it difficult to reconcile a view of someone as being a decent, winning, player with my view that anyone who can"t accept that outdraws and "bad beats" are any more likely online/on a specific site than they are live fails to appreciate the underlying role of variance in the game. After all, if it weren"t for luck, there would be no skill in poker.

Outdraws happen and thinking that somehow "it happens more often on xxx site" is, to my mind, counter-productive.

AA loses to QQ approximately once in five times, AK beats KK around once in three - it happens. More importantly, it happens just as often live as it does on Stars/FTP/DTD/888 et al. Runner runner, "one-outers", that "miracle card", none of them are ever less likely than a 46/1 shot. Contrast that with the chances of winning the lottery.
With two outs and one card to come the odds are better than those for the roulette ball landing on "lucky seven" on the next spin.
With two outs and two cards to come our opponents chance is about the same as the ball landing in one to six on that wheel.
Poker odds don"t run into the miracles area.

We learn this and we learn to live with it - we tell bad beat stories sometimes to help exorcise the demons, and we get back in the game and hope to be on the right side of some of the beats in statistical balance with those we lose.

I ran pretty bad last night in a mini satellite for this weekend"s £100+10 at G. All in and ahead vs a shortstack twice and both times he came from behind and beat me. Eventually Brian (as reported elsewhere) found AA and held vs a QQ raise, and my K9 steal attempt. This was one of the 7 out of 10 times that AA holds, but had it not done so I know that Brian"s toys would have remained firmly positioned in the pram :)

I ran good on blackjack though and having spun my £3 change from the reg fee into £45 before we started, I then span it further up to £220 giving me my buyin for Saturday (and change) via a different route :-)

Variance, it"s unavoidable. We deal with it.

The Brightside. Gotta love it  :-*

Nice one for Saturday as well Dave and to Brian.. might have a dabble myself.. oh actually its an early start isnt it? Big boo x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #258 on: September 13, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

Nice one for Saturday as well Dave and to Brian.. might have a dabble myself.. oh actually its an early start isnt it? Big boo x

Late registration till sometime around half five...

Think that"s 200/400/? So 20,000 chips is pretty playable

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:49 AM »
Pretty much every Thursday night for the past three years or thereabouts The Nobbers have gathered to play poker.
The original nine has changed and the game now can have anything from six to fourteen players.
We play for fun and for competition and we play for a tenner each.

It"s a night for bluffs and levels. 3betting light and never playing Q4. A night for speech play and finding a big hand when you"ve just announced that you "have" to raise here to weed out the limpers. A night to enjoy.
My role in the game is to amass a stack and then donk it off in time to re-enter and boost the pot. I"m then usually out just after the break when some fancy 5bet triple-range merged move on the rivers picked off by someone who called my FOS raise with 68 or 34 or some such, or, and more likely, when I shove the river representing a big hand on the basis that "he can only call if he has the  Ah when he obviously has the  Ah.
But it"s FUN!

Last night I did something I can"t remember having done before. (my memory isn"t what it was so I may have just forgotten)

I won.

Cream rises

this is all

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2012, 13:39:10 PM »

Last night I did something I can"t remember having done before. (my memory isn"t what it was so I may have just forgotten)

I won.

Cream rises

this is all

Checked through the old website / league table / reports...

A Dave A win was last recorded in June 2010  ;)

x

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #261 on: September 14, 2012, 15:30:31 PM »
Thanks TC

When did we start btw?

Tried to call you back to watch the first hand after you left the cash table last night when I got dealt the mighty Queen Six

Not just any Queen Six either, these were a suited Queen and Six

of Diamonds

kerching!

a £70 pot shimmied my way with a 6 on the flop and a Queen on the river :)

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2012, 15:36:13 PM »

Thanks TC

When did we start btw?

October 2009 is the first recorded game we did on the Nobber 9 website.. but I think we"d been going before that hadn"t we before deciding that we should do a league and all malarkey  ???

Tried to call you back to watch the first hand after you left the cash table last night when I got dealt the mighty Queen Six

Not just any Queen Six either, these were a suited Queen and Six

of Diamonds

kerching!

a £70 pot shimmied my way with a 6 on the flop and a Queen on the river :)

Ohhhhh and that would have been my Big Blind as well haha.. bad times that I missed it.. good times I wasnt on the end of it  ;D

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #263 on: September 16, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »
Saturday 15 September £100 FO at G Stockton

Bleurgh

Yuk

Ewwwww

Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #264 on: September 16, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
Lol, to save readers of my blog wasting their time, see above for my report.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

Saturday 15 September £100 FO at G Stockton

Bleurgh

Yuk

Ewwwww

Move on folks, nothing to see here.

Sufficient time has passed to dull the pain

I had a great table - a mix of locals and some lads who had travelled down from Newcastle and who were more than willing to get some action going on the table.
I had an absolute rush of cards and couldn"t get decent value from any of them. Yet Micky the regular two seats to my left was getting absolutely gifted chips by people with a desire to play a 22k stack, 30 minute clock using the GUKPT structure as though it was the Wednesday fiver rb.

I had two horrible hands - one with Q10 where I should have just taken it down on the KJx flop, and one with AA which I"ve posted in the strategy thread. No spoilers here, suffice to say that I"m really unsure about my play in it.

After that hand I lost my way a little and played less well than I can. It didn"t help that my run of cards not only ended, but balanced the books by becoming a run of hands which featured too many twos and threes and often accompanied them with sixes and sevens, and lower. Eventually I shipped fives from utg+1 over an utg raiser with whom I had history - he"d only seen QQ+ from my 3bets against him to this point. It folded to him and he snapped me off with tens as he should. Tens held, with not even a sweat.

I"d busted way too early and sat around for a while before having a horrible session on the cash table where all my thin value bets got called by people who had either caught the better hand on the river, or had outplayed me with top pair better kicker. Indeed, one old guy who was the table irritant managed to call me with third pair, better kicker :(
Luckily, just before midnight the fire alarm went off and we all had to leave the building. I chose to take that as a message to "just go home before they work out that the fire alarm was triggered by me setting fire to my money".

I returned to the fray last night in the £15+15 which got 33 entries for a £990 pot.

I played better (in a softer field), and ran about right. Failed to beat shortstacks Q7 shove with AK aipf, but then had 99>10 10 vs the same opponent about three hands later to get the chips back with a small bonus added.

The usual suspects wanted to negotiate a bubble payment when we got to 6 handed, I felt that paying 5 places from a field of 33 (actually 28+5 re-entries) was enough.
There was talk of a four-way chop too, but that didn"t happen either.
Sadly, the biggest whinger got lucky at the right moment and when I left he looked likely to win the damned thing. No justice!

Next post - my take on Kategate.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

Next post - my take on Kate"s gate.

...and I thought it was just a topless photo :)

[ok some poetic license taken when quoting OP]

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »

Next post - my take on Kate"s gate.

...and I thought it was just a topless photo :)

[ok some poetic license taken when quoting OP]

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2012, 15:57:21 PM »
Just a quickie on Kate Middleton "fnar "fnar

The Daily Telegraph features a minimum of three pictures of our Future Queen every day, somedays it"s a lot more. Seriously, there are more Kate pics in there than there are references to immigrants in the Mail.

But do they post the ones of of her with her top off? Do they "eck!

I don"t only just see why Wills is making a fuss about this - after all most blokes of his age (and looks) would be proud to let the world know that their fit Mrs gets her top off before rubbing sun oil on his back.

Editors note: the views expressed may not be firmly held and may indeed be somewhat tongue in cheek

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #269 on: September 21, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
Sometimes we have to make tough decisions.
I had to make one today. I also made a very easy one.
The easy one was confirming that my +1 for the trip to St Kitts is Lucy. Flight booked, room sorted, transfer from DTD to Gatwick sorted.
All we need now is some dollars, some travel insurance and some rungood.

Now, the tough one.
I love live comedy - one of the fixed points in my year is a trip to Edinburgh to see as much of the Fringe as can be packed into three and a bit days (26 shows this year) and recently one of the highlights of the Fringe has been Pappy"s a sketch show who got great reviews this year and deservedly so.
They are touring now and arriving at The Arc, in Stockton on October 4th.
I can play poker most nights
I can play poker with the Massive most weeks
I may not get the opportunity to play an invading army of APATers for a while
but it"s Pappy"s
and the last time they played locally the publicity was so poor that there were only around 14 people in the audience. Yet they performed as though the room was not only full, but was a much larger room. They gave every ounce of effort and commitment that they"d have given were they ever unfortunate enough to play the O2 (note to all - stadia are not suitable venues for comedy)
I"ve chatted with these guys in the Pleasance Courtyard. Been in the audience with them as they watched other comedy acts. I actually asked them to come back to Stockton and give us another chance (I doubt my words were in any way influential, but I did ask)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQ06bYG0eA[/youtube]

So - I will be absent from the Thursday Home Game on October 4th. I"ll miss the banter and the drunkenness (well, I"ll miss the banter) and I"ll miss the chance to be the only sober man in the room.
This leaves a vacancy for someone else to be the oldest there - any takers?

Just been looking at the DTD offerings for that first weekend in October too. Satellites permitting I"ll play the £500 with an hour clock.