Author Topic: Pokerpops ponders poker  (Read 161817 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pokerpops ponders poker
« Reply #360 on: March 22, 2013, 15:14:52 PM »
So the Invaders arrived for the Thursday Home Game and JP didn"t need a 3-outer to relieve me of my first stack he just needed to call my (small) raise pre with  Jd 8d (disclaimer, it may have been J something else, but they were both very definitely diamonds) and hit a flop of  Qd Kd 6d (disclaimer, it may have been the six, but they were both very definitely all diamonds)
Me having QQ and flopping a set oop and he flatting flop and turn before raising the river to call for all my chips...

meh - reload and start again

[ ] went well second time

So..
I just deleted a lengthy section about how i lost £50 on the cash table with a significant chunk going on a 2-outer but it"s pointless and what I really want to do is to get you to read something far more worthy of reading, and far far better written by a hero of mine

So go away and read this!!!

http://www.victoriacoren.com/main/blog/archive/an_ignominious_exit

and come back and comment
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #361 on: March 22, 2013, 19:01:07 PM »
I"d like to think that I would have dwelled on a hand for five minutes if I"d been at the table, irrelevant as to who the player was in need.

Sometimes poker players take things way too seriously and the humanity of the game disappears.  Have seen many an instance in APAT online games where players have waited because someone has got disconnected, similar situation, and good to know we have a decent bunch of people in our community (Well, a few anyway  ;) )

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
One of the worst sights in live poker is to see someone being berated for their so-called bad play.

To have been guilty of such an act myself is just too embarrassing for words.

Sunday night - the G £15+£15 has already seen me dust off the first set of chips (both buy-ins) with my first exit from the tournament when I 3bet an APAT member"s EP open with 66 and jammed a 357 flop
He tanked before calling with QQ which I felt at the time might have been unduly cautious. The longer he thought the more convinced I became that my initial read that his range was more full of AK/AQ than pairs. When he finally called and rolled over those Queens I asked "what kept you?"

Regardless - I re-enter, play with maximum focus and go to the Final Table with a healthy stack (c20% of chips in play) which yo-yo"s a little as we reduce the field to 6 with 5 being paid.
The standard question is asked "Are we paying the bubble?"
I"m not the only dissenting voice but I"m tired of agreeing to this to keep people happy and say a definite no. I"ve worked hard to be in a good spot to play the bubble tonight and so we play on.

The embarrassment starts when I open shove 160k+ with 66 into Vicky who has around 60k at 5k/10k/1k and she goes deep into thought. She has the cards under her fingers a few time as if she"s ready to fold; counts her chips; fingers on cards again; and then she sighs and calls.
I flip my cards instantly and she turns over QQ
At which I say, and I regret having voiced it, "That"s twice I"ve been slowrolled with queens tonight"

It didn"t sit well with Vicky - she"s youngish (to me); pregnant; and the 5th place money may well mean more to her than to others at the table. She launches into me with a "if you"re so good you should be playing the World Series" tirade and it"s deserved.
I apologised but I don"t think it sat well.
The bubble burst shortly after when my JJ beat the shorty"s J10 and a few hands after that I open shove into Vicky with 33 and this time she snaps with AK and gets there, no doubt with greater satisfaction than she would have had normally.
Brian busts the next hand and the three left chop the remaining prizes two hands later.

I"ve learnt a lesson, I hope. Shtum!!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #363 on: March 27, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »
It was a nitroll though. Surely she"s NEVER folding QQ there with 4 effective BBs. If she is thinking of folding her hand here then she"s making a huge mistake - but of course you shouldn"t berate her.

I usually say "you took our time!" when I see their hand in a situation like that, which is obviously a criticism but tends to be taken as less of a dig at them.

The fact she"s pregnant, young, etc., isn"t an excuse for contemplating folding her hand there though.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
In all honesty Dave, you have been a bit surly when you lOse hands recently, or at least I have noticed it.

It"s not like you at all, you are usually really level headed about it.

Good to see you recognise it tho.

(yes, I am fully aware of the irony of me saying these things)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #365 on: March 27, 2013, 13:17:35 PM »

It was a nitroll though. Surely she"s NEVER folding QQ there with 4 effective BBs. If she is thinking of folding her hand here then she"s making a huge mistake - but of course you shouldn"t berate her.

I usually say "you took our time!" when I see their hand in a situation like that, which is obviously a criticism but tends to be taken as less of a dig at them.

The fact she"s pregnant, young, etc., isn"t an excuse for contemplating folding her hand there though.

Yes - nitroll is so much better as a description. When it had calmed down a little she passed comment on my shoving such a small pair and I asked her what she"d have done with a pair of nines in that spot. "I folded nines earlier when you shoved" was her proud reply...

In all honesty Dave, you have been a bit surly when you lOse hands recently, or at least I have noticed it.

I know Stu :( and I"ve been getting a huge amount of practice at losing hands too which is probably why it was starting to get to me.

I shall endeavour to return to getting it quiet and losing with grace, dignity, and a ready smile

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2013, 13:20:03 PM »

Sorry, but yes Dan is 100% right, it is her who is out of line not you David, based on what you have written here. She has slow rolled you and you have commented on it (quite politely one at the end of the day, others may have been far more scathing). Now I agree it would be better not to make the comment but really she should have apologized for the slowroll which is MUCH worse than your comment. I rarely get annoyed at the poker table (if ever) and the slowroll would not have bothered me that much but if I made a small comment about it (which I probably wouldn"t tbf) and she came back with a tirade that might just have seen even me lose my cool and escalate the situation by coming back at her explaining how impolite slowrolling is. And yes it is absolutely a slowroll.

btw - nines are completely different, a tank call with nines is totally fine as would be a tank fold maybe. QQ? I don"t believe anybody is ever folding them there.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2013, 13:25:34 PM »

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2013, 13:27:49 PM »
yeah its a genuine nitroll, chuckle, mumble "outplayed again, sigh" and move on before constantly jamming into her blinds without looking.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2013, 13:31:45 PM »

Alanis Morrisette is penning another tune for you now
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #370 on: March 27, 2013, 13:35:43 PM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #371 on: March 27, 2013, 13:42:54 PM »
I dont think you berated her play, i dont think i helped by chirping in, i was actually aiming it at you rather than her but she took it as me having a go.

Have to agree with you Dave regarding keeping silent, i actually said "wow slowroll or what" and i got a bit of a volley as well. I did apologise but got short shrift, hey ho wont affect my life.

Quite ironic really when she said "you might call or go all in with q6 but i dont", i shove with Q6 blind v blind and get knocked out.

Agree with above, was a nitroll, will keep with the manntra never to make a comment on any hand at a poker table, usually causes grief.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #372 on: March 27, 2013, 15:26:16 PM »
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
Thanks for all the comments on the "slownitroll"

I"m rarely one for berating others play for two good reasons. 1) It"s not pleasant and I do my best to pleasant at the table and elsewhere in life, and 2) it can be the precursor to going on tilt

The specific circumstances surrounding that moment conspired to make me open my mouth, I regretted it at the time and still do.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #374 on: March 28, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
we still love you Pops  :-*