Author Topic: Pokerpops ponders poker  (Read 159614 times)

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Re: Pokerpops ponders poker
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2013, 13:18:51 PM »
If you don"t say anything I will, top form, well played.

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2013, 14:05:51 PM »

Reach the final table along with Dave ( who is running in God mode at the minute, no doubt he will add to his blog at a later date).

X

Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2013, 14:45:09 PM »

Reach the final table along with Dave ( who is running in God mode at the minute, no doubt he will add to his blog at a later date).

X

Modesty forbids, but can you smell burning plaice?
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2013, 15:09:56 PM »
Huge congratulations to Dave Amos, scoring on his international debut last night.

Modesty forbids him from mentioning it, but that won"t stop us from all sharing in his special moment.

Great header Dave, looks like you need to work on that pre-season fitness though, based on how red your face looks  :D

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #409 on: September 02, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
Sorry Leigh, only just saw your post and I think you may need to explain it to me.

Meantime, it seems that the first week of September has been declared "Outdraw Pokerpops Week"**
QQ v KQ flop KKx
All in with two pair vs Top pair, no problem, the river will pair the turn.
All in with a flush vs a set, no worries, that board is going to pair.
All in pre with QQ and the board runs out xAKKQ did I just get lucky? Noooo he has AK.

**Defining it as Outdraw Pokerpops Week may be wishful thinking on my part... we shall see. I ran golden during much of August so it"s all gravy.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #410 on: September 02, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »
I read this

Saw someone scored for England on their debut, assumed it must have been you.

Kind of misses the point two weeks later.  Not actually sure it was ever funny, made me smile at the time though, which is not a bad thing.

Congratulations on whatever it was you did win.   ;D

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #411 on: September 02, 2013, 13:20:15 PM »

I read this

Saw someone scored for England on their debut, assumed it must have been you.

Kind of misses the point two weeks later.  Not actually sure it was ever funny, made me smile at the time though, which is not a bad thing.

Congratulations on whatever it was you did win.   ;D

Aww man, all that photoshop effort and then I miss it. Sorry.

Brian was referring to my mini heater of the time. Just over min cash in the DTD Mini Deepstack, then FT the super fifty there and cashed Monday Tuesday and Wednesday at G. Five very different tourneys too with the G efforts being a £20 deepstack (20,000 stack on a school night!) a £30 +£30 where we did a chip deal 5 handed and a fiver rebuy where I was in for a total of £15 and chopped HU.

All a dim and distant memory now though. The poker gods have had their vengeance and my form has dipped too. Too many bad calls and mistimed plays.

Always another day though. I rather fancy a crack at the £300 deepie this weekend, satellites with 20 seats guaranteed are too good to refuse.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »
Satellites to the DTD deepstack haven"t gone well.
Last night I was running along quite tidily and in decent shape as the 2255 break began but my wifi connection dropped off and when I attempted to log back in the auto fill of my password had vanished
No problem I just entered the password and
Incorrect username or password
Must have mistyped it
Incorrect username or password
Rinse and repeat a couple of times and then bite the bullet and ask for the new password
Mistype email address and get
Account blocked, contact customer services
Correct email address
New password sent to registered email
Not there
Refresh
Not there
Refresh
Not there
Hit contact customer services and wait
Wait
Wait
Eventually get contact and give them my ID email date of birth inside leg measurement and favourite colour
Email arrives with temporary password which I now have to change before I can log in

Ar last I"m in and still with 6BB which I get all in pre with  Ac Qc over a min raise
He calls with  2h 2s
And the board runs out
7s Qs 8s  Jd  A s

marvellous

This weekend you will find me in Stockton G playing the £5k guaranteed £100FO.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
As some of you may know I opted to swerve the G and instead took a trip to DTD using recent G winnings and a 35% stake to fund my entry.
I had a blast and rekindle my love for the venue and it"s tournaments. Given that last year was exceptionally good for me there it felt odd to be feeling less than enthusiastic about the place lately, but a combination of poor results, and some of their recent innovations had left me at odds with it.
I don"t like the stack merge option. I understand why it"s been introduce and I understand that every player that attempts to do it adds EV to the overall tournament, but it still feels wrong.
I"m less than keen on the way this current GP has been set up too. The massive boost to the the prize pool for a winner who has made it through Day1 with a Golden Chip has skewed the field somewhat with some of the "pros" throwing a large amount of time and money at the satellites and securing multiple chips in the extreme. With stack merging available and no option but to play all the seats they"ve won some people are going to be playing 10+ Day1s and we could see some monster stacks at the start of Day 2.
I have two shots at it this time. I"ll be happy to make it through one, with two being an absolute bonus.
I suspect that stack merging is here to stay at DTD, and I will get used to the idea. As I say, my love for the place has been rekindled. Amazing what a winning trip can do for you.

I took the absolute budget option for this trip. This was my accommodation

[/URL]

£9 a night, it may not be en suite, and it may lack a tv but given that I typically only spend less than 9 hours in any room I book for a DTD trip it was great.
The campsite at the National Watersports Centre is clean, flat and secure. Quiet too. I"ll be back there at the end of the month for what I hope will be a three night stay.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #414 on: December 30, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
It"s been a long time since I posted and it may be a long time before I post again but I want to thank those of you that used to read this and those of you that have staked me occasionally through the year for your support.

The poker gods smiled on me often in 2012 and it was a good year in other ways too, but 2013 has been pretty hard.

Losing Dad, losing the business and latterly coming close to losing so much more with everything coming to a head in the last few months has made me think hard about who I am and what I want. I"ve not reached a conclusion about my aims and hopes for 2014 and they may not include a poker element.

If poker continues to be a big part of my life it won"t include much in the way of APAT events. The continuing policy of scheduling events at School and Bank Holiday times makes me an unlikely runner whatever the future holds.

I"ll be reading and popping up here and there though.

May 2014 be the year that each of you hopes for.

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #415 on: December 30, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
1000th post as well, hope next year is better for you in your personnel life, as for poker it"s just a game not that important in the great scheme of things, speak soon.

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #416 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
It"s been a while...

I"ve blown the cobwebs off the locks and actually had to unlock the entire thread.

So, what"s been happening?
The last two years have seen my home life take priority over all sorts of things, not least Poker. None too soon really because the game had begun to dominate my existence it seemed.
My last trip to DTD was for the UKIPT 6Max which I think was around eighteen months ago.
I actually stopped playing live completely for the six months from September 2014, and my return to the local live scene has been very gradual and very unsuccessful to date. Six tourneys is no sort of sample and my last couple of outings have seen me build decent stacks only to blow them well short of the money. But I am beginning to recapture some of the fun of the game, mainly by avoiding some of the less fun local games.

Currently I"m playing online on Party with a view to getting involved in the Grand Prix Tour organised by DTD and Party. They"ve finally moved back to a format which more accurately reflects the original concept in my view and I am enthusiastic about it again.

BUT, as a pensioner my income is limited so I have opted to go for the cheap route. Playing the 1c games which offer 2 X $5.50 seats plus the weekly Bounty Freeroll which adds a $5.50 for the top 25 finishers. Playing mainly on the iPad which restricts me to single tabling so the volume is limited although there is always another game to register if you bust.
The aim is to take the $15 ish that I had on the account and turn it into as many $5.50s as I can.
I have four so far with a strike rate of about 5% so in theory my $15 should generate around 75 tickets. We"ll see.
It may be more if I can cash in the Bounty Freeroll occasionally. Since I started the challenge I am 100% on that front :)

The structure of these is very turbo, 5000 SS and 3 minute levels means that mostly it has to be played as a Shove/Fold game, happily not many of the regular players understand this and I"ve seen people limp fold from 5BB stacks to a shove. I"ve also seen some decent calls too but generally speaking I believe I am playing a +EV strategy.
One thing that amuses and amazes me is the fact that people actually make rebuys. It"s a 1c buy in, but rebuys for the same 5000 chips cost 50c. That"s 50 fresh attempts sacrificed in rebuying when you are generally getting just 8BB and will be shortstacked.
People take the 15000 add on too. Again that"s 50 new games given away when there"s a fresh tournament starting within 20 minutes.
Still, it"s good of these players to indicate who they are and where the value might be...

I"m currently avoiding the $5.50s other than the ones where the 1c game feeds directly into them. The structures are different and I want to focus on getting the maximum number of tickets before I get into them.

I will try to keep this thread up to date as the challenge continues.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:09:57 AM by pokerpops »

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #417 on: September 30, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
Great to see you back and posting mate, always enjoyed your blog :)

Will follow closely, good luck and smash them up!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #418 on: September 30, 2015, 14:22:32 PM »
Good to see you posting David and good luck in your challenge.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #419 on: September 30, 2015, 21:56:19 PM »
Balance $16.60

$5.50 Tickets - 5
$22 Tickets - 1 or 2. I thought I had one, but according to Party I have two. This may be right, but we"ll see.