Author Topic: How should I have played this?  (Read 3848 times)

pokertunities

• pokertunities.com
    • pokertunities.com
How should I have played this?
« on: January 15, 2008, 15:56:48 PM »
Hi all

I went to my first APAT on Saturday and despite waiting from 8am to get 1st on the reserve list and then knocked out early - I had a great experience.
Applause to the organisers.

I survived to the first break with a couple semi steals of the blinds.  Came back after the break - sitting at even chips, blinds 100/200.  Hole cards  jd js, early raise of 600.  Folded round to me.  Decided to play aggressive (worst luck) re-raised to 2200 and was slowly called.  Flop:  jc 7d 3c, checked to me, I bet 2800.  Slowly called. Turn shows tc. Checked to me.  I feel i"m somewhat pot committed now and still worried about giving a free card if he is sitting with one high club, I push all in.  He calls. River  8h.  He shows  ac 9c.

I did worry about  ac kc or  ac qc, but couldn"t put him  ac 9c with the re-raise I made preflop.  I thought possibly a higher pair or lower trips or AJ.  How should I have played this hand? Any thoughts appreciated.
pokertunities.com

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Re: How should I have played this?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 16:16:17 PM »
It"s a full pot bet or even a push on the flop for me. Even then I think he calls and you get fecked. Unfortunately he has made a bad call pre-flop and hit a monster flop. Even if he puts you on an over pair, he is probably not thinking of trips, he thinks he has any club, any 8 and his Ace is probably good too, so 15 outs making him favourite against say KK or QQ.

It"s unfortunate but unless you shut up shop when club comes on turn the hand pretty much plays itself.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 18:15:26 PM »
InstaFold pre-flop!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 18:32:30 PM »
With flush and straight draws on the flop, i would bet at least the pot, and would probably push all in, in an effort to protect the hand. Your post flop bet gave him odds to chase his flush - whereas an all in would have asked him to make a decision for his whole tournament irrespective of odds..... and hopefully not many players in a live deepstack event would call for their whole tourney with Ace high.

It too had an occasion where i was in the BB and flopped top trips (KK to a K74 flop). Sadly only the SB was in with me, and my min bet on the turn was too much for his 82o  >:(

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 20:36:48 PM »
U played it just about perfect IMO
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:54:19 AM »
Yeah you were unlucky here, it was a perfectly acceptable re raise pre flop, at this point he really should have folded, but once there was the flush draw it was an allin push to get him off any possible flush. Having said that any one who calls that pre flop raise with A 9 suited would have probably called your all in bet!!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013