Author Topic: SmilerIraq  (Read 5513 times)

smileriraq

• Silver Member
SmilerIraq
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:28:27 AM »
1 - WHO ARE YOU? Paul McCarthy    

2 - POST A PICTURE OF YOURSELF OR A LINK TO ONE (APAT OR OTHER)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smileriraq/sets/72157594436289195/

3 - WHERE DO YOU COME FROM? Cwmbran/Newport S Wales    

4 - TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF?mid 30s married one kid , Used to play american football now coach it for kids. Also play basketball , started poker as a means to have a hobby that didnt require physical prowess to excel as while the spirit is willing to run around like a maniac on the field the body is starting to get a bit pissed off about it.

Love to travel and have been around the world a fair bit highlights being a 2 month backpack round OZ

5 - WHAT IS YOUR POKER BACKGROUND? Learnt to play in 2004 when a member of my platoon taught us to play with worthless iraqi coins. Came back only to find that whilst I had been away all my mates had gotten into the poker craze, slowly learnt the nuances of the game but was wary of becoming a "gambling addict" , paid in £10 a month to an online account when it was gone i didnt play for the rest of the month  after the 3rd month I posted a profit and have been playing with my winnings ever since

6 - WHAT IS YOUR PLAYING STYLE? started of with Tight/aggressive but as I learnt more and more i like to think ive become more adaptable depending on the table

7 - WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE POKER PLAYER AND WHY? like negranu tho starting to think he is becoming a bit of a poker snob as he is very dismissive of the holdem now its boomed, still like him tho also barry greenstein for his charity work

8 - WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ONLINE POKER SITE AND WHAT IS YOUR POKER ID THERE? blondepoker - smileriraq2

9 - WHAT ARE YOUR POKER ACHIEVEMENTS? Won a poker player magazine freeroll which qualified me to go to a final 12 table where I managed to come a respectable 5th, also played in one live tournament in cardiff where I came 4th. Also whilst i only play low stake SNG and cash games most  months I post a profit (anywhere between $15 and $90) and my worst ever month I was only $9 down for the month

10 - WHAT DO YOU DISLIKE ABOUT LIVE POKER CURRENTLY, THAT YOU WOULD CHANGE? I dont get much opportunity to play live but I cant stand the poker wannabes wearing shades, hoodies and ipods etc in a £5 sit n go or even in a freeroll pub tournament

11 - HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT APAT? Darren Shallis (Newportlad) and Steve Roderick who play at a much higher level than i do but I like to test myself against them and I do ok

12 -WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT APAT TOURNAMENTS, STANDARD OF PLAY AND STRUCTURE? never been so cant comment

13 - HAVE YOU PLAYED AT AN APAT LIVE EVENT AND IF SO, WHAT WAS MOST MEMORABLE ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE? Ive heard its good but finding the time and justifying the buy in is difficult (mainly the former)

14 - WHAT ARE YOUR MAIN INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF POKER? US Football (playing and coaching) Basketball , Territorial Army , My wife and son Im a HUGE CHICAGO BEARS FAN

15 - WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK OR FILM?Way WAY too many to mention but currently 28 Weeks later/knocked up for films and any book written by David Gemmell.

Poker Books i reccomend - Harrington on Holdem Trilogy / Read em n Reap Jo Navarro (excellent book on poker body language which Ive found very useful im my admittedly limited live career )

16 - WHAT THREE MUSIC ALBUMS WOULD YOU TAKE TO A DESERT ISLAND WITH YOU?

Green Day - American Idiot
Muse - Black Holes n Revelations
Jon Bon Jovi - Destination Anywhere

17 - FINALLY, WHAT MESSAGE WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEAVE FOR YOUR FELLOW APAT MEMBERS?

At the end of the day its only a game and if you cant accept losing/bad beat then your playing at too high a level but over a period of time the cards will fall your way

oneill1970

• Silver Member
Re: SmilerIraq
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:13:51 AM »
Hey there.  I"ve only just joined and saw your mention of American Football - did you manage to get to the NFL game at Wembley?
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

smileriraq

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:08:55 AM »
actually I missed the Giants/Dolphins game as I was away with the Army on my Sgts course but Ill be going to the next one and the one next year (hopefully itll be the bears that time)

DJKebab

• Bronze Member
  • Whatcha gonna do, brother??!!
    • Blair Kirkland
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:46:21 AM »
Hi guys. I travelled down from Glasgow to the Wembley game, a great day out, shame about the weather though, and the game wasn"t the greatest, but even so it was a great experience. Unfortunately I"m a Dolphins fan, so great as it was to see the team in action live, the result and indeed the entire season this year are best forgotten!

It is unbelievable to think that it was the same NY Giants team that played that day at Wembley that went on to win the big one and stop the perfect season, as they were pretty poor. Just shows you how far they came and what a transformation they undertook.

I see you"re a Bears fan Smiler, I was lucky enough to catch them in action in the 2006 season (which took them to the Superbowl) while I was on holiday in NY. They were playing the Jets, and they managed to squeeze out a victory. That was another great day out, excellent 50 yard-line seats at Giants Stadium. Typically, with my bad luck, it was another low scoring game, with a 10-0 victory for Chicago. And, of course, the touchdown was scored when I had nipped inside for snacks!

Have you been to see the Bears at Soldier Field? It is a beautiful ground now that it has been redeveloped. I was holidaying in the city last September and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately the football season had not quite started so I couldn"t catch a game.

Hopefully the Bears can recapture some of that "06 form in the "08 season and get back to the playoffs. Even just so we can all watch some more of Devon Hester, man is he something else!!

oneill1970, do you have a team you follow?

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:29:35 PM »
I was at the Wembley game as well - as I live in London it wasn"t so much of a trek for me.  Went with three friends - one, bizarrely managed to throw his ticket in a bin outside the stadium?!  After rooting around in a large pile of rubbish for 10 minutes, though, he managed to fish it out.

Was also supporting the Dolphins, but am happy to have seen the Superbowl winners.  The atmosphere was great despite the rain, and we even had a fight break out in the crowd for some extra entertainment in the 3rd quarter!

Got into NFL through computer gaming really, back in "92 on the Amiga...don"t really follow a single team, but it would have to be the Dolphins, as that was the first "home" game I went to, even if it was at Wembley!  Might have to wait a bit for a run at the Superbowl, though.
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

smileriraq

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 15:11:09 PM »
Yep im a bears fan and after 20 years of supporting em I finally got to seem em tonk the niners in chitown in 2006

ironically enough met a few people over there who invited me to their fantasy football league ($315 buy in) which I won , think they were gobsmacked that a brit knew what they were talking about.

I did play american football for 15 years too but due to ther commitments have stopped playing to concentrate on coaching a kids team

DJKebab

• Bronze Member
  • Whatcha gonna do, brother??!!
    • Blair Kirkland
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »
Wow, 20 years! Must have been phenomenal to finally see them in action live. That"s great that you"re involved with coaching the kids, how does it work, is it some kind of flag/non-contact variant, or do they go for it and beat the crap out of each other?!

Got into NFL through computer gaming really, back in "92 on the Amiga...don"t really follow a single team, but it would have to be the Dolphins, as that was the first "home" game I went to, even if it was at Wembley!  Might have to wait a bit for a run at the Superbowl, though.

Ah, the Amiga! Happy memories of my youth... Sensible World Of Soccer on the Amiga still reigns as the greatest game of all time in my mind...

I reckon if the Dolphins can get a winning record this season that will be about as much as can be expected...

smileriraq

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 14:00:17 PM »
Its a flag variant of it however the kids want to play contact but kit and insurance coupled with its me on my own running it means i cant  do it. The drills we run tho are simiilar to the contact drills so when they turn 18 I send em to the local kitted team to play.

Scary thing is after one tournament i went to the back of the bus and caught em playing hold em

If you like SWOS get an xbox 360 and you can play it online now