Author Topic: Beyond a Marathon....  (Read 3351 times)

Scousebill

• Gold Member
  • Liverpool FC, APAT Poker @TheHummingbirds CoLFC
Beyond a Marathon....
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
And I don"t mean eating 2 Marathons.
I know one or two people from the land of APAT have done some events that go further than doing a Marathon. Is it Mark Lassemann who has done Paris-Brest-Paris cycle ride and I believe someone is doing The Three Peaks this year. No doubt others have done something else, or are planning to do something or know somebody who has. I would like to hear from anyone who has attempted to do an extreme challenge and how it went, not just the event but ups and downs while preparing for it. I just want some advice on how you continue to train and how best to vary training when you are aiming for something different and more challenging than running 26 miles. It must be mentally hard as well as a physical challenge.
The reason why I want to something.
My daughter has been diagnosed with scoliosis, severe curvature of the spine, and she is going to need corrective surgery. This involves using two or more titanium rods to help straighten the spine. Titanium screws will hold the rods together and create the vertebrae in the spine to fuse together making the spine more rigid and less able to curve once the fusion is completed.
Now I"m thinking if she, as a 12 year old can go through that then it is only right that I do something extreme myself to try and raise some money for both Alder Hey Hospital for carrying out the treatment and for SAUK, the Scoliosis charity.

What I am aiming for is to complete a walk, not just any walk but one called "The Isle of Man Parish Walk".

This year they have a record entry of 1818 people who are attempting to walk 85 miles in 24 hours. Rather than explain what it is I have posted a link http://www.parishwalk.com/.

Even if you don"t reply, thanks for reading..
Silver Medal APAT European Champs. 2015
WCOAP 6-MAX Champion, 2015.
2015 APAT Player of The Year.
Online 10th Anniversary Vegas Sat. Winner 2016

Twitter @APATBillShep

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Beyond a Marathon....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
This sounds like an awesome idea and for a cracking cause.

Firstly hope everything imnproves for your daughter mate, ir eally do.

Im not in a position to offer advice on extreme challenges, the furhterst i run is to the bar!!!

But good luck with this, am sure you will do a cracking job and i will donate however i can :)
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 13:11:10 PM »
Mike Scothern and I did the Yorkshire Three Peaks a couple of months ago... 26 miles and three mountains (well peaks anyway) in under 9 hours. It nearly killed us, which probably had something to do with the fact that we"re both over 50 yrs old and did almost no training.

85 miles in 24 hours sounds pretty gruelling, even if there are no hills involved. You"re going to need all the right kit and plenty of training. Best of luck with this Bill, all the very best to your daughter and let me know where and when I can donate.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 14:05:35 PM »
Whatever you decide to do Bill, just post a link to the justgiving site and people will donate (including me)

I hope everything works out for your daughter. No kid should ever have to put up with this.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 14:13:53 PM »

Whatever you decide to do Bill, just post a link to the justgiving site and people will donate (including me)

I hope everything works out for your daughter. No kid should ever have to put up with this.

This!

I do the Great North Run most years Bill, my training last year involved a 1 mile jog about the week before hand. Well half a mile jog / walk to my girlfriends for a cuppa, biscuit and a slice of cake. Then jog / walk back. Surprisingly on the day I got round however I think most people could walk it the speed I ran / staggered / stumbled  ;D I did stop for a half near the end as well as a friend had got me one in. Happy days.

I hear theres training plans and stuff you can get access to online. Good luck with it all mate.
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 17:59:26 PM »
Specific training plans will be found online but in general.

1. Work out where you are at the moment: for example, go for a 4 mile power walk, time it, scale it up. That should give you an idea of how much work you"ve got to do.
2. Either work on endurance or speed. A long training session will help you build up the distance - but should probably be interspersed with more shorter training sessions where you go for building up strength and speed.
3. Cross training. Throw in some cycling and swimming to finish it off.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341