Author Topic: Euro 2012 - Get It Quietly Thread  (Read 156512 times)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Euro 2012 - Get It Quietly Thread
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »
Tomorrow will see the start of Euro 2012; for many, the biggest sporting event of the summer.

While it may be true to say that any old team can win the Euro's; as we remember the spirited Danes of '92 and the no nonsense Greeks of '04, I prefer to think of the great footballing teams who have done so, like the magnificent French of the 90?s, the all conquering Spanish team of the past four years and the English team of..ummmmm, I digress.  ;)

So what of this year?  Well certainly the Spanish, German and Dutch teams will start as favourites but there is little doubt that our spectator interest will be well served by the unfancied England and Republic of Ireland teams.

For England this is probably the first tournament in some time that the three lions will not go into battle heralded as Kings in waiting.  This English squad, under new boss Roy Hodgson, will be cut some slack by the media should they not conquer all in their first couple of group games, but there will be a clamour for goals and qualification in their final group game against host nation, Ukraine, which will see the return of Wayne Rooney to the side.  But before that, the French await on Monday, with the awkward Swedes to follow.

What would we give for a first minute Bryan Robson goal to settle the nerves of an opening fixture against the French?  A game unnecessarily complicated by the usual comedic lead up, although perhaps a little less so this time. I think this one has a one all draw written all over it, and you can have the draw at 3.1 with APAT's Euro 2012 betting partner, Bet-At Home.

The Irish come in as the least fancied team of the 16 finalists, their success already achieved through qualification. At first glance Group C will not offer too many soft fixtures, with an opening game against the Modric inspired Croatia followed by matches with seemingly powerful Spanish and Italian teams.

The Irish are priced at 3.75 to beat the Croatians in their opening fixture on Sunday evening. This feels like a value bet to me.  Opening group games tend to be tight and the Irish are unbeaten in fourteen games going into the Euros. 
I don't expect them to give too much away, but it's certainly possible that a team fielding the attacking talents of McCready, Duff, Keane and possibly hot new talent James McLean, will have the odd goal in them, so I'm backing Ireland to win their opening fixture, which could then see them playing an unsettled Italian side in the final group game, with qualification a real possibility.  Lump on the Irish.I hear the Italians have!

Elsewhere, the Germans, Dutch and Portuguese will have goals in them and if you"re looking for a real outside bet, take a look at the joint hosts Poland and Ukraine.  Both long shots, but with home advantage, enormous support and a prevailing wind, either could progress to the final.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 13:47:56 PM by Des »
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Euro 2012 - Get It Quietly Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
EURO - 2012 Overall Winner,   

Who will be the European Champion? (08/06/12 18:00)

Spain            3,75           
Germany    3,85
Netherlands    7,00           
France    10,00
England    13,00   
Italy            15,00
Portugal    18,00   
Russia    20,00
Poland    30,00   
Ukraine    45,00
Croatia    50,00   
Sweden    60,00
Czech Rep    70,00   
Denmark    80,00
Greece    80,00   
Ireland    100,00

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
Can"t see past Germany to win it tbh.  Spain not at their peak, and the Germans have been building this team for years, and are tired of being the nearly men.  Do think theres value in France e/w as well. 

I get 20k if Ireland win, so I"m officially prepared to use my one time!!  If Greece can do it...
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »

Can"t see past Germany to win it tbh.  Spain not at their peak, and the Germans have been building this team for years, and are tired of being the nearly men.  Do think theres value in France e/w as well. 

I get 20k if Ireland win, so I"m officially prepared to use my one time!!  If Greece can do it...

That can"t be left as a passing comment!

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
For the overall win, I like the Dutch at 7"s and Portugal at 18"s.  The Ukraine at 45"s might be the outside bet this year, in front of their own fans.

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
So Trapper Tony has named his Irish team for their opener with Croatia, a full week ahead of the fixture. 

Shay Given, Richard Dunne, John O"Shea, Sean St Ledger, Stephen Ward, Damien Duff, Keith Andrews, Greg Whelan, Aidan McGeady, Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle have all been named.  How many think this will be the actual team that will play and if so, is it a mistake to name it a week in advance?

And as for England, well there"s no certainty, just questions:

Parker and Gerard in centre midfield?

Ashley Young up top?

Defoe or Carroll?

Oxlade-Chamberlain?

Was leaving Rio out a mistake?

In which game do you think Joe Hart will drop the inevitable clanger?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 14:57:03 PM by Paulie_D »

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »

For England this is probably the first tournament in some time that the three lions will not go into battle as the fancied kings of the tournament jungle.  This English squad, under new boss Roy Hodgson, will be cut some slack by the media should they not conquer all in their first couple of group games, but there will be a clamour for goals and qualification, when Wayne Rooney returns for their final group game against host nation, Ukraine.  But before that, the French await on Monday, with the Swedes to follow. 

The Irish come in as the lowest ranked team of the 16 finalists, their success already achieved through qualification alone.  At first glance Group C will not offer too many soft fixtures, with an opening game against Croatia followed by matches with the seemingly powerful Spanish and Italian teams. 

England have an awful lot of background noise to contend with (Hodgson, Rooney, Ferdinand, etc), and Ireland have a seemingly impossible task to get through their group......

However.....

June 24th sees the Winner of D v Runner Up of C........ and I have a sneaky feeling this may just be an England v Ireland game.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »
My money is on the Netherlands with a bit on France

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 13:16:31 PM »

For England this is probably the first tournament in some time that the three lions will not go into battle as the fancied kings of the tournament jungle.  This English squad, under new boss Roy Hodgson, will be cut some slack by the media should they not conquer all in their first couple of group games, but there will be a clamour for goals and qualification, when Wayne Rooney returns for their final group game against host nation, Ukraine.  But before that, the French await on Monday, with the Swedes to follow. 

The Irish come in as the lowest ranked team of the 16 finalists, their success already achieved through qualification alone.  At first glance Group C will not offer too many soft fixtures, with an opening game against Croatia followed by matches with the seemingly powerful Spanish and Italian teams. 

England have an awful lot of background noise to contend with (Hodgson, Rooney, Ferdinand, etc), and Ireland have a seemingly impossible task to get through their group......

However.....

June 24th sees the Winner of D v Runner Up of C........ and I have a sneaky feeling this may just be an England v Ireland game.

How would you see the group games going to see England top their group Steve?  

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 13:32:10 PM »

Haha - 2 of my friends gave me 200/1 on Ireland, so I have £50 on with each.  Rooting hard tht I get to punish them for their lack of faith :)

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 13:32:35 PM »

[/quote]

Easy des england will win all 3 , but ireland have no chance of getting threw !

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 13:38:53 PM »

Easy des england will win all 3 , but ireland have no chance of getting threw !
[/quote]

It"s a good time to play Italy...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 13:39:35 PM »

A win against France by the odd goal, a difficult bore draw with Sweden, and then smash Ukraine with a Rooney masterclass on his return.  

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 13:45:17 PM »
England will win beating spain 3 -2 in extra time in the final !

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 13:48:09 PM »

Haha - 2 of my friends gave me 200/1 on Ireland, so I have £50 on with each.  Rooting hard tht I get to punish them for their lack of faith :)

200/1 ? obv u should punish them by laying off on betfair...