Author Topic: Euro 2012 - Get It Quietly Thread  (Read 156485 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: Euro 2012 - Get It Quietly Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 14:36:39 PM »
Put me in the draw please

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 14:37:19 PM »

Here"s some extracts from the Stewart Downing Press Conference.   ;D

Downing on England"s training base: "It is very good set-up, the pitch is nice though it was a bit dry this morning. Once the first sessions are out of the way, you crack on from there, and we have a couple of days to work on until the France game. I am delighted to be in the squad, I aim to do well and make an impression on the team."

Downing on France: "We"re confident we can get a result. We don"t fear them. We know they are a good team but so are we. We know their strength and weaknesses."

Downing: "The World Cup in 2006 was very exciting, so I understand what the young lads will be going through. If they need to speak to me or any of the other experienced lads I"m here to lend a hand. Whoever the manager picks we just get on it with, if I am picked I will just concentrate on my role in the team and get on with it."

Downing on Liverpool team-mate Martin Kelly, who has replaced Gary Cahill in the England squad: "He"s a quiet lad, goes about his business, he"s going to be a terrific player and is a real talent. The manager has seen his ability and he"s settling in quite well."

Downing to BBC Sport"s Dan Roan on six Liverpool players in the England squad: "If you look at our performances we battered teams at times but we did not have the killer instinct."

Downing on being one of the senior players in Roy Hodgson"s squad at the tournament: "I understand what the young lads are going through - it"s a great experience for them. If they need help or tips, I can give them that."

:D :D :D :D

It"s beyond belief that Downing and Henderson are in that squad.  Not to say that they aren"t capable of putting in a performance from time to time, but based on last season"s form they shouldn"t be in the 23 - injuries or not.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 14:41:47 PM »

Marty - "England lack the quality, with Rooney being the only world class player in the squad"...... ummmm Gerrard?? Terry??

I certainly wouldn"t consider either World Class at the minute.  It could be argued tht both were at one stage (I"m not so sure.  The phrase "world-class" is thrown around a lot, but it"s tough to truly be at tht level), but not based on this seasons performance.  
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 14:43:51 PM »
Sweepstake.. yes please

I"ve had a £25 dabble on Portugal. Going to be away in India for most of the tournament hoping they have some coverage over there. They just like that game with bats though don"t they... might be a struggle.

PS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM... do I win a prize for number 1000?  ;D
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 14:48:19 PM »

Marty - "England lack the quality, with Rooney being the only world class player in the squad"...... ummmm Gerrard?? Terry??

I certainly wouldn"t consider either World Class at the minute.  It could be argued tht both were at one stage (I"m not so sure.  The phrase "world-class" is thrown around a lot, but it"s tough to truly be at tht level), but not based on this seasons performance. 

I"d tend to agree with this, with the caveat that Gerrard has been world class in the past.  I think Oxlade-Chamberlain if given the opportunity, is the player that could make the difference for England in this tournament and I think you"re well served up front with Wellbeck and Defoe.

It"s great news too that the press are currently off their backs, but one decent result and the headlines writers will be all over them again.

Still, it"s going to be fascinating to watch and I hope the England team go all the way, with the only exception being if they come up against the Irish.

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 14:49:38 PM »

Sweepstake.. yes please

I"ve had a £25 dabble on Portugal. Going to be away in India for most of the tournament hoping they have some coverage over there. They just like that game with bats though don"t they... might be a struggle.

Congrats on your innings Phil and the best of luck in India.  :D

mousebob

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 14:57:54 PM »
In draw please (preferably not England).
Happy to draw Dutch though ;)
The harder I work,
The luckier I get.

Joker161

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • jhsch on 888
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 15:24:21 PM »
Sweepstake - yes please.

Not much coverage out here in Vegas. I sort of assumed Engalnd would be rubbish as usual, although I like the idea that everyone, at last, including the press, thinks the same this time round, so without the pressure England might surprise. After all, group-wise it could have been a lot tougher. In 1966 it was all about picking a team that worked, not the 11 best players (no Greaves in the final. Sticking with Hurst. Same with Rooney?) Perhaps Hodgson can fluke putting together a "team" this time round.

7.20am here. PLO tournament at the Golden Nugget today. Been persuaded to do the Helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon on Friday. First time in five visits. I know - poor priorities!

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 15:26:17 PM »
Sweepstake - yes please !
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 15:27:38 PM »
yes pls
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 15:51:16 PM »
Team please  :)

I"m flying to Donetsk at the weekend

#justsayin"  ;)
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 16:04:20 PM »
In for the sweepstake please.

Ashley Cole is the only other world class England player in my eyes. I dont think Gerrard or Terry are there any more.

Also I think the way Rio has been treated is pretty disgraceful but no point dwelling on it now...

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 16:06:54 PM »

Sweepstake.. yes please

India hey ?

When do you Goa Phil ?

Hope the trip Delhivers all you want.  Remember that those Indian barmen really Kanpur a mighty good drink, so watch yourself.

Anyway, I"ll just wish you Lucknow and have a safe journey.

;D

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 16:12:42 PM »
I"ll have a team please.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

smasher37

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 16:14:08 PM »
I ;D will take a team please