Author Topic: min raising helps.  (Read 2875 times)

0Magic14

min raising helps.
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Hi, I"ve been learning a lot more poker often, and what I"ve learnt I have to say is that min raising in middle/late stages does get you the chips you need if you want to get to that FT. I"m not the only person who has done this. Kidpoker himself does it.

Anyway, just thought i"d shout out this, although you guys know this it helps alot.

have good fun at the tables.

0Magic14

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
Re: min raising helps.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
Pretty much everyone does it now when opening a pot during the later stages. Been this way for a while in the online world.
There antes out there and stacks are usually shallow, so its a better investment for you. And the variance is much less. If you get 3 bet then you loose less when/if you decide to fold.

If you wanna watch someone great online playing MTTs then i wouldnt watch kidpoker. Watch someone like Shaundeeb or apestyles instead

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 17:17:27 PM »
I like to make it about 2.4 BB.

A lot of bad players will call in the big blind with a very wide range, giving a bit too much guesswork post-flop for my liking.

Also, I think the min-raise will get 3-bet much wider than a slightly larger one.

In both cases I think the improved hand definition, plus the increased fold equity, are worth the extra investment.

I agree that most online pros go for min-raise or tiny amounts above it, but I have seen some top players recommending a bit more, so I think it is a matter of which works for you.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 17:21:51 PM »

A lot of bad players will call in the big blind with a very wide range.

This is surely also a great result for you.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 21:57:01 PM »

A lot of bad players will call in the big blind with a very wide range.

This is surely also a great result for you.

It is if you are good enough to get away when the fish hits two pair or better with his rags (which I am not!)

I think a slightly bigger raise makes the calling range much easier to guess.  A friend got knocked out of the ECOAP main event when a guy called a raise with 72 and the flop came A72!  In that case he had made a standard raise UTG (!) but it is an example of the sort of thing I mean.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 14:06:19 PM »
mmmm. There are other things to think about of course, like image, position etc. And during the first couple of levels i think 3x is ok when stacks are deep. But later on when blinds are bigger and antes are there 2x- 2.2 is standard. And BBs are not gonna peel with 72 during the later stages unless they are a massive fish.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 15:06:10 PM »
It depends, if you never steal and play <10% of hands then there is no point in minraising. If you play plenty of pots and like room for manoeuvre then minraising is good when blinds/antes are high and stacks more shallow. People min raising in level 1, 500bbs deep is quite funny tho
Looking forward to making my first day 2