Author Topic: Genting UK & Ireland Home Int Team Championship  (Read 34582 times)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Genting UK & Ireland Home Int Team Championship
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

For example in the stt"s having the first player to (more than) double there starting stack qualifying towards a Champions STT.

New ideas to refresh the format should be encouraged and I think this one has some merit and could be worked on.

This is a TERRIBLE idea...and drastically adds too much weight to the "luck factor"

If the target was just double the starting stack then it would. But the (more than) was specifically to counter that.

For example, if the starting stack was 5k the target could be 12k.
The blind levels at the start would be low so the "proper" game theory approach to "win" this would be to play consistently aggressive poker and keep on chipping up until you reached the target. The "gambling" approach to this would be to keep on inflating the pots and getting your chips in and hoping you induced folds or your hands held up.

But even with the gambling approach it doesn"t increase the overall luck factor in the game - any single table tournament has an increased level of luck at the end because of the high blinds; so all this gambling approach does is transfer the "luck" element from the end to the beginning of the tournament. Given how tight some of these STT"s have been and how high the blinds have got if anything it reduces it - at the end of the tournament a single hand can effectively decide it; but with this (more than double) approach that can"t be the case.

And aside from this specific scenario - like I suggested - I"d just like to see some genuine innovation.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341