Author Topic: A PLO8 cash hand that has kept me awake  (Read 10290 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: A PLO8 cash hand that has kept me awake
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 21:46:29 PM »
certainly valid posting this. Unfortunately there are very few on this forum who have enough experience of playing 400BB deep at PLO8.

Post it on blonde/2+2 and you may get some good responses.

The only thing I have to say is: If you had been called by better and got there, would this thread have existed?
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 22:01:34 PM »

The only thing I have to say is: If you had been called by better and got there, would this thread have existed?

Do you know what - I think I probably would. As the hand played out post flop, I was already considering the stack sizing, and it was a significant consideration during the timebank.  It was that which stuck with me afterward (as well as the beat of course)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 23:16:29 PM »

Do you know what - I think I probably would. As the hand played out post flop, I was already considering the stack sizing, and it was a significant consideration during the timebank.  It was that which stuck with me afterward (as well as the beat of course)

that was a bit crass of me steve, I apologise. You certainly never post bad beats in PHA threads.

It would be interesting if you put this on some bigger strat boards and then fed back to use n00bs
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 01:01:43 AM »
Personally I"m really surprised you checked 2nd to act post flop "with a plan to raise". What if V2 checks behind (you were the pre-flop aggressor after all - so very possible)? Seems to me that you left yourself with the extra dimension of wondering if V1"s check min raise was merely an isolation raise of the shortie. Same if V1 shoves (though a shove seems unlikely given the numbers).

Having read through the hand again myself, I now think I favour leading out on the flop for just under half of V2"s stack, so that if V2 then shoves and V1 flat calls, the betting is open to me again and I can then jam it back over the top and give V1 the hard decision.

From a betting perspective you"ve answered your own question here IMO. This has to be the best option with V1 being so passive, although with his numbers he"s calling more often that he"s folding.

What did your PLO8 mentors make of it? You"ve surely asked?
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »

What did your PLO8 mentors make of it? You"ve surely asked?

Feedback was that I should be leading out on the flop to put the decision on the others....  and whilst I think I agree, not sure that this always works though.... If I lead $14 (so that if V2 shoves and V1 flats that shove, the betting is open to me again and I can shove for maximum fold equity and pressure), what happens when V2 shoves and V1 shoves over the top?  I don"t want to call my stack off with this draw - I think that"s why I looked for a check/raise - to put the big call decision on to the other guy.

Nobody, including my mentor, has suggested that the draw should be played differently with a 400x stack as opposed to a 100x stack - leads me to believe the depth of stack probably should not change the thinking.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

leads me to believe the depth of stack probably should not change the thinking.

^This

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 14:24:19 PM »

If I lead $14 (so that if V2 shoves and V1 flats that shove, the betting is open to me again and I can shove for maximum fold equity and pressure), what happens when V2 shoves and V1 shoves over the top?

Against a passive player you fold. You perhaps play it different if V1 is a more aggressive player, but irrelevant here.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

Robbiebox

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 20:31:15 PM »

Nobody, including my mentor, has suggested that the draw should be played differently with a 400x stack as opposed to a 100x stack - leads me to believe the depth of stack probably should not change the thinking.

I think because of the pre-flop action, I wouldn"t consider your decisions being those of a 400x stack.

I agree with many (who are your "mentors"?) in that I dont like your check on the flop here, you have so much chance of taking it down and apart from an ace, 3 or club on the turn.....................you are struggling to justify more money to the pot.....................also sets up the all-in bluff on the turn against V1.

I struggle to know how to justify with stats/%"s that the chips should go in. I just feel they should as I want to get heads up with a strong 2-way hand that is rarely going to get scooped against. Getting it all-in 3-ways is probably the worst outcome here, but still unlikely to be too -EV against most situations.
I have played a lot of Omaha Hi-Lo cash and tourneys with reasonable success and I have to say I play off instinct really these days. The more I play off instinct the more I tend to slam it all-in LOL.
2010 WCOAP HORSE Silver
2011 WCOAP STUD Gold
2011 WCOAP Online OMAHA HI/Lo Gold
2012 GUKPT Bolton PLO Champion
2014 WCOAP OMAHA HI/LO Silver
2018 WCOAP TRIPLE STUD Gold
2019 The COUNTIES Gold