Author Topic: Staking Request - Shuffles Gladiator  (Read 17829 times)

ForthThistle

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Re: Staking Request - Shuffles Gladiator
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 19:05:52 PM »
GL Boss.
Current Southern European Online Champion.
Past Winning Captain - Scotland

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 21:02:53 PM »
We"re in the money, but it"s a ludicrous situation.

8 survivors yesterday and 9 from today.

There were so few entrants, though, tha maintaining the 1st place guarantee is going to mean that the low cashes are considerably less than the buy-in. Discussions ongoing on reducing the 1st place payment. We"re low-stacked again now, so we"re all for that idea.

I lost a bunch in one hand. I raised from cutoff with A3. BB called. Flop A77. He checks. I"m so far ahead, so I check behind to induce. Turn 6. He bets 6k. Thank you - I call. River 3, he bets 9k. I snap-call. He has 45, FFS.

Oh well, we"re still there. Don"t expect much return.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 21:42:30 PM »
Over and out.

EP raiser, I have KK and lob it all in, which he calls with TT - same two suits as mine.

Flop TJQ. I have ten outs, but they don"t come.

The good news is - I have cashed for £100. In a £500+£50 tournament. Pretty weird scenario, caused by the big guarantee up top and the guaranteed number of cashes. The card-room miscalculated badly, but that"s life.

I"ll send you back your shares by the method you sent, unless you tell me that you would prefer something different.

Zozzy

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 08:23:39 AM »
Good effort John wp
England Team member WCOAP 2017
APAT Christmas Cracker winner 2016
Gold Medal-2012 Scottish Online Championship
Player of the Series October 2012
Silver Medal-2011 English Amateur Poker Championship

Twitter @CraigZozzy

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »
Well done John, nothing you can do about guarantees, did have quizzical smile when the email said I had had a cashier transfer  :)

Well played none the less

IT
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »

Well done John, nothing you can do about guarantees, did have quizzical smile when the email said I had had a cashier transfer  :)

Well played none the less

IT

+1 wp mate

lucasj37

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 14:58:55 PM »
Well played mate.

Stars transfer is fine if you haven"t already sent. sam2303

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 15:11:19 PM »
Well played John, but as you say, a crazy situation.

I"m amazed with a high level of buyin that this situation can be allowed to happen.

If I recall correctly, Shuffles is a private members club ?  I"m not sure how comfortable I would be about playing that level of tournament in that type of venue.  Maybe I"m just over cautious.

Still, a cash is a cash.  Is that another entry on your Hendon Mob Database ?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 21:11:41 PM »

Is that another entry on your Hendon Mob Database ?

God, I hope not - it would look pretty daft.

Actually, I know it won"t be - The Hendon Mob and other well-known poker forums are not aware that any poker at all is played in the South of the country.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 21:14:38 PM »
Stars & PayPal payments sent last night. I"ll do the bank transfers when I get a chance, but you"ll have to pm your details to me if I haven"t had them previously. If you paid by transfer and are happy to get it back by Stars, let me know. Sorry it isn"t more.

I have to say we were unlucky. The four hands I detailed on here were my four key hands in the tournament, not just bad beat stories. I was miles ahead in all four, but was outdrawn in three of them. On average, I should probably win three of those hands, which would have meant a pretty big stack. You need to have enough chips to absorb an outdraw in a deep-stacked tournament, but three of them is pushing it.

I"m surprised that I wasn"t at all unhappy last night or today regarding what might have been. There was an opportunity, but it didn"t work out. I was happy because I actually felt I had played well. Sometimes I know that I haven"t played well and I don"t mind saying when I think that, but yesterday I was pleased with my game. None of my opponents put me on anything like the hand I had in the four key pots and put loads of chips in when they were far behind. I didn"t put them on anything like they actually had either in a couple, but that was because their hands were so random that, when they hit, I couldn"t see it and thought I was still winning.

I don"t mind the guy who semi-bluffed with 45 on the Turn. I wanted him to think I had a pair less than A or non-A high cards and could fold to a bet, which he told me was exactly what he had thought. "If I thought you had an A I"d have bet more on the River". The River was just one of those things. I can"t complain about the guy with TT at the end either. The one with KQ, on the other hand, put almost half his chips in on a 7-card draw (two of which would make a flush that he didn"t have) with one card to come. He would have gone from a comfortable 27k to a less-than-comfortable 16k if he missed. My mistake was to assume he could only win with a full house. I suppose my other mistake was to assume he was a better player than he was. He had traveled from London and bought into the game, so I assumed he knew what he was doing. KQ! I feel I would still call his shove again now, cos I can"t see how anyone can have any straight draw in that hand. That really was the hand that made the difference. Dropping from a well-placed 39k down to 12k (when I should have increased), really knocked my tournament sideways. Although I eventually got back to 40k, that was still below average at that stage and, in the meantime, I had missed all the opportunities that a leading stack would have given me to build further.

So, things could have been different. A couple of those hands could have accelerated me to a big prize but I might have lost in some other way instead. The way I think about poker tournaments is that it is all about getting yourself into the situation where you have the opportunities. Sometimes they will then go your way and sometimes they will go against you, but manoeuvring yourself into that spot enough times is the key. In this tournament, I had the opportunities, which could have led to a good result, but they didn"t fall my way. On to the next one.

lucasj37

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »
You have nothing to be sorry about. As you say you played well and things went against you. I will not hesitate in staking you in future should you wish.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »
Andy, Craig, David - please send me your bank details or let me know if you"d rather have it through Stars.
Others should have received already (except Stuart, whose bank details I already have from before).

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »
Hi John,

Crazy situation but sounds like you did nothing wrong and just got unlucky, but that"s poker. More than happy to stake again. Just let me know.

Stars transfer is fine. CenSword.

Cheers,

Andy

jjandellis

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »

We"re in the money, but it"s a ludicrous situation.

8 survivors yesterday and 9 from today.

There were so few entrants, though, tha maintaining the 1st place guarantee is going to mean that the low cashes are considerably less than the buy-in. Discussions ongoing on reducing the 1st place payment. We"re low-stacked again now, so we"re all for that idea.

I lost a bunch in one hand. I raised from cutoff with A3. BB called. Flop A77. He checks. I"m so far ahead, so I check behind to induce. Turn 6. He bets 6k. Thank you - I call. River 3, he bets 9k. I snap-call. He has 45, FFS.

Oh well, we"re still there. Don"t expect much return.

Hi mate

Only just seen this!!!

This was indeed one of the weirdest tournaments I"ve ever played.  It was kinda like travelling back a few years, as standard 2 - 2.25 raises were not respected at all. Seems 3.5 is standard in Pompey!

Would be interested to know who they guy with kq was.  Wondering if its the same guy (early on) that 3 times cold called my 3bets when in BB and then either donked/or flatted my cbets with bottom pair to board...managed to confuse me each time and basically bought a check down...

The chick wasn"t Baltic Blonde it was her mate, Ellie somethingorother-ski.  Very nice :D

So who won it in the end?

Anyway was a pleasure to sit and chat (and yes I could hear you when you were waving your hand in front of my face ;-)  )