Author Topic: Pilgrims Progress  (Read 53796 times)

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
Re: Pilgrims Progress
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 13:43:22 PM »
I"m never one to really complain about life etc etc.. The way I look at things is I have a amazing family, a roof above my head, awesome friends, food clothing etc etc etc.. and compared to some I"m spoilt in the riches of all these things.

But every now and then I have to admit that I do get angry/ probably more frustrated at what other people moan/complain about.. I shouldn"t feel sorry for myself and I sure as hell don"t want anyone to ever feel sorry for me regarding my disability!..

When I was younger and my muscles where a little stronger, I was able to work and in fact working was a blessing in disguise, I worked 40-60 hours a week as a chef and the long hours hard graft kept me going, and sure like most i found it mundane etc etc, I also was able to do mundane chores like  cooking, cleaning, walking the dog although at my own slow pace I was ABLE to get it done..

Last week I got down in the dumps a little, what with the whole house getting the virus at some time meant that at one time or the other the kids where off school.. Now I know kids are kids and they don"t mean to complain to upset people, lets face it we where the same im sure at that age and they didn"t ask to be born lol (have to say this as its their great comeback), they get pocket money every week, and are expected to "help" out a little to earn it, e.g. Walk the dog, tidy bedrooms etc etc.. But just seemed to get nothing but complaints when they where asked to do them arguing between them on whos turn it was walk Lexi, do i have to tidy my room can I do later and so on, all the time me getting more and more frustrated that they are at least physically able to do it without a fuss  grrrrr

Ironic I guess the simple things I used to also hate doing I now wish I could..

Febuary 1st was my princess Ava"s fourth birthday and the 5th was my Grandads 93rd, so last Sunday the whole family got together for lunch ( Emma had to stay at home with Millie as they had the bug!  :( ).. Always nice to get the whole family together like that and was especially nice for my grandad..

Arthur Pilgrim (Woody to most).. Now I know everyone always say how much they love and respect their grandparents, and rightly so.. But hand on heart Woody is the person in my life who I can say without a shadow of a doubt I have the highest respect admiration for..
I could spend days blogging about him and the amazing stories from his life, but i wouldnt be able to fit it all in and do it all justice.. From his early days as a professional Speedway racer for Exeter, to his time spent in Italy fighting the war, to the time he spent in raising money for charity, his success in business, and his amazing respect gained by his family.. the list could go on and on a truly remarkable human being.. Who I"m going to miss incredibly much  :(  sadly yesterday Woody passed away in his sleep.. It has yet to fully sink in yet but when it does I"m glad that i have such great support from family and friends.. I"m so grateful we all got time to see him last Sunday and he celebrated his 93rd on the Tuesday and he left us in his sleep in no discomfort..

R.I.P. Gandad I can"t begin to explain how much respect I hold for you in my heart xx

Poker.. My online poker is pretty much restricted to APAT games. Knockout cup, Bakers dozen and hopefully some sattelites into some WCOAP side events, with no great results of late just steady finishes to earn a few points for the team.. Will forget about last weeks Bakers dozen, decided to call a small pre flop raise with A7, something that I rarely do as I know it only causes trouble.. Flop.. A 7 8  with two diamonds we get it all in, I"m putting Alan on AK/ AQ maybe a flush draw, but he flips over 88  ;D bad play by me should never of got involved pre flop the end!

Now most days I play the $2 n/l Omaha h/l on stars.. it is a re buy 90mins late reg and add on for 30,000 .. So I late reg at 1 hour 29 mins for the $2 depending on where your seated you can usually make the add on slot with not spending no more than $6 so effectively you go into the tournament with at least 33k.. But often can spin the 3k initial starting stack to 20-30k believe me it"s a crapshoot until the latter stages but if you use your position wisely and dont get involved in multi all in pots you can play pretty much normally there after..

I find that it is full of Russian maniacs, dunno what draws them there but believe me it gets messy very messy, but at the same time for a small investment the rewards can be great, have been lucky and won it a few times and there is always 1k+ up top, ( more on Sundays, and evenings).. So I hopped in yesterday did my usual late reg played well and ran my stack up 300k near the bubble, 81 got paid with $ 1,700 up top $1,100 second and $800 for third.. So managed to ladder to 27th and have 40k with blinds 20k/40k with antes so basically one BB and it"s my turn to post BB  :( bazinga get dealt AA24 and three callers and with antes manage to scoop pot not amazing still only 4 bigs, but manage to run it up to over 3 mill and make final table.. Eventually get 4 handed and they want to discuss a deal, I"m happy to, but I play on my IPad so I can"t press the discuss deal button, explain this so we agree to "sit out " and call for a floor man, but for some reason the sit out box has disappeared?? Now I don"t want to disc and re launch app in case I can"t get back in so we play on, get 3 handed and I"m slight CL, find AA25 shove and get called by BB with his AQ78!! Needless to say he scoops pot with a river flush for 17 mill pot.. Fight back to second in chips and then lose to same guy when he rivers straight, happy with third but could of been $900 more so also stung at the same time..

So with a heart tinged with sadness at the loss of a immense human being, I"m so so looking forward to the WCOAP my Grandad took keen interest in my poker and I"m going to try my damned hardest in the events I play to make him continue to make him proud as he looks on down upon us..

LOVE YOU GRANDAD R.I.P. xxx
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 20:15:29 PM »
So sorry to hear about Woody, Carl  :( Sounds like you"ll have a ton of good memeories to get you and the family through the worst of the sadness so stay strong mate.

I know it may only be a small token but I"m glad to say I"ve got the green light to hold a dress down weekend (probably 2nd & 3rd March) in NHS 24, to help boost the funds for your Muscular Dystrophy charity fundraising. In addition, I"m also hoping to organise some kind of walk round about the same time to raise a bit more. I"ll keep you posted once i have more info.

Hugs to you all, our thoughts are with you.
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 22:40:25 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Woody mate, sounds like a really great guy. Love to the family and v. much looking forward to seeing you and the BCW in Nottingham. xx
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

petersimon

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 16:09:53 PM »
I"m really sorry about your lost Carl!
I hope you can win in the WCOAP and dedicate the victory to your grandad... if not, dont worry because i"m sure he is already very proud of you!!!
Best of luck!
Pedro Simoes

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 18:37:35 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your granddad Carl.  Keep your head up.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 20:40:14 PM »

Really sorry to hear about your granddad Carl.  Keep your head up.

I"m really sorry about your lost Carl!
I hope you can win in the WCOAP and dedicate the victory to your grandad... if not, dont worry because i"m sure he is already very proud of you!!!
Best of luck!
Pedro Simoes

Very sorry to hear about Woody mate, sounds like a really great guy. Love to the family and v. much looking forward to seeing you and the BCW in Nottingham. xx

So sorry to hear about Woody, Carl  :( Sounds like you"ll have a ton of good memeories to get you and the family through the worst of the sadness so stay strong mate.

I know it may only be a small token but I"m glad to say I"ve got the green light to hold a dress down weekend (probably 2nd & 3rd March) in NHS 24, to help boost the funds for your Muscular Dystrophy charity fundraising. In addition, I"m also hoping to organise some kind of walk round about the same time to raise a bit more. I"ll keep you posted once i have more info.

Hugs to you all, our thoughts are with you.

Thank you for your kind words guys they really do help...
2012 UK Amateur Champion
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 23:26:00 PM »
Oh Carl, I have only just seen this ... I am so sorry to hear of your loss. 

Biggest hugs for you ... PM on way xxx
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 14:09:55 PM »

Oh Carl, I have only just seen this ... I am so sorry to hear of your loss. 

Biggest hugs for you ... PM on way xxx

Thanks Mich much love xxx
2012 UK Amateur Champion
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 22:01:05 PM »
Last Friday.. As a family we said our final farewells to Woody, a short ceremony at the crematorium followed by a church service, then onto the wake.. An amazing speech by my uncle telling some truly epic stories of my Grandads life, some of which I had heard about and some of which where new to me, and my respect and admiration just grew and grew, never ever have I met such an inspirational human.. Some of the stories had the whole church including a rather straight faced vicar in fits of laughter, tears of joy sorrow and laughter all rolled into one..

Also in the holidays we where graced with the lovely Lucy Amos and her son Louie.. Another couple of nights of hysteria, who would of thought a tv programme centred around the daily going ons in a fried chicken shop could make us laugh so much, and as for dog poo watch now there"s another classic story all together. Our daughter Millie and Louie struck up an instant friendship!! and to see the tears from both of them on departure was so sad in a cute kind of a way, promises of more get togethers in the summer hols I hope will help..

Well as far as poker has gone, obv no live poker for me since Luton.. Online just the odd tournament on stars, and the APAT games, we made it to the knockout stages where we lost to a strong side captained by a certain John Murray, a good battle but in the end the better team where victorious, they had gone in as number one seeds, and proved their worth..
Still playing the Bakers dozen on a Monday evening, rather badly mind you I think I"m bottom of the leader board  ;D if going by games played, not going to make excuses but I have run like poop in them lol.. But the small buy in epic banter and worthy cause really makes it all worth while, cheers Rich was a great idea.. Also I would like to thank Grant who has organised a dress down day at his work with all proceeds going to Muscular Dystrophy, thanks matey much appreciated xx

Well to top off a simply amazing season six for me, is that I have been picked to join Steve, Asa, Tony and Stuart in team England at WCOAP!!
An amazing feeling and I"m like a kid at Christmas time and just can"t wait!! Bloody chuffed and honoured, a really strong team picked by Steve and I"m sure we are going to be in the mix come late Friday evening.. Mind you looking at all the teams I can"t see any weak links (ok Scotland have Naz  ;D) ..

So GOOD LUCK ALL TEAMS .. Will see you all in Nottingham for what will prove to yet be another superbly run APAT event..
2012 UK Amateur Champion
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 00:32:57 AM »

Last Friday.. As a family we said our final farewells to Woody, a short ceremony at the crematorium followed by a church service, then onto the wake.. An amazing speech by my uncle telling some truly epic stories of my Grandads life, some of which I had heard about and some of which where new to me, and my respect and admiration just grew and grew, never ever have I met such an inspirational human.. Some of the stories had the whole church including a rather straight faced vicar in fits of laughter, tears of joy sorrow and laughter all rolled into one..

Also in the holidays we where graced with the lovely Lucy Amos and her son Louie.. Another couple of nights of hysteria, who would of thought a tv programme centred around the daily going ons in a fried chicken shop could make us laugh so much, and as for dog poo watch now there"s another classic story all together. Our daughter Millie and Louie struck up an instant friendship!! and to see the tears from both of them on departure was so sad in a cute kind of a way, promises of more get togethers in the summer hols I hope will help..

Well as far as poker has gone, obv no live poker for me since Luton.. Online just the odd tournament on stars, and the APAT games, we made it to the knockout stages where we lost to a strong side captained by a certain John Murray, a good battle but in the end the better team where victorious, they had gone in as number one seeds, and proved their worth..
Still playing the Bakers dozen on a Monday evening, rather badly mind you I think I"m bottom of the leader board  ;D if going by games played, not going to make excuses but I have run like poop in them lol.. But the small buy in epic banter and worthy cause really makes it all worth while, cheers Rich was a great idea.. Also I would like to thank Grant who has organised a dress down day at his work with all proceeds going to Muscular Dystrophy, thanks matey much appreciated xx

Well to top off a simply amazing season six for me, is that I have been picked to join Steve, Asa, Tony and Stuart in team England at WCOAP!!
An amazing feeling and I"m like a kid at Christmas time and just can"t wait!! Bloody chuffed and honoured, a really strong team picked by Steve and I"m sure we are going to be in the mix come late Friday evening.. Mind you looking at all the teams I can"t see any weak links (ok Scotland have Naz  ;D) ..

So GOOD LUCK ALL TEAMS .. Will see you all in Nottingham for what will prove to yet be another superbly run APAT event..

As if that was ever in doubt  ;D. Well done mate, Woody would be very proud :)
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
Congrats on the pick Carl, really deserved, and really sorry to hear about Woody. Hope you"re OK fella and HUGE hugs at DTD on there way x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
I"ve only just read about Woody, Carl. He sounds an amazing fella. Condolences x

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
16 Days to go!!!

As much as Paulie hates countdowns, (although I"m sure he loves them really) I must say I"m like a child waiting for Christmas day to arrive!.. Sounds a little sad I know, but considering my last live poker game was the APAT UK Team championships I"m allowing myself this guilty pleasure..

Since losing in the last 16 of the knockout cup I haven"t really played much online poker, but I still play the Bakers Dozen on Monday evenings, after eight rounds I had only scored once that being the first game of the series, so I was pretty much at the bottom of the table with just 8 points.. Two weeks later and two consecutive wins I"m third in the table with 58 points only 7 points of tops with two games left!! Funny old game huh?.. Must say the scoring system F1 style is for the help of this, and it gives pretty much everyone in the top 15 or so a good shot at a placing, I applaud this think it should be introduced in forthcoming events like Bunch of Fives etc..

Also jumped into the 3k garunteed TV tournament last night.. Was great to see so many APAT players in the tournament think this might be a popular promotion.. As far as the tournament went for me?,, well started off like a freight train and was quickly in the top few after the first couple of levels.. had bossed my table and felt very comftable making some nice hands and gaining some respect to my 3 bets and 4 bets, then got moved to a new table with Michelle..

Few hands in I found pocket tens in mid position and standard three times raise, one other caller blinds where 400/800 so was a healthy pot brewing.. Flop was 9 high, I C bet he called safe turn I bet he raises me enough to commit me so I shove the rest of my stack, bad play in hindsight with just one pair, he could of easily had JJ QQ.. But saw the bad news of him having 99 for flopped set.. Oh well only myself to blame think I could of should of gotten out on turn, still had 15bb.
Popped back to watch FT for a bit to see Dan Williams S4ooter run deep, only to lose a huge flip blind on blind for CL, still a nice return considering he stated in..

Going to be playing a few of the Micro millions next week as part of a staking agreement, so hope i an run well for the investor and me..

Good luck to anyone else involved in these and hope to see you at some final tables ..
2012 UK Amateur Champion
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 17:53:44 PM »
2012 UK Amateur Champion
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2013, 18:22:39 PM »
APAT Season 6 statistics