Author Topic: Currency exchange and travel advice needed please  (Read 8101 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Currency exchange and travel advice needed please
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
I need some dollars to take to St Kitts

Since the last time I travelled further afield than Dublin was 1995 I have no idea of the best place or the sort of deal I want.

I"m not taking a huge amount although I"ll need some tourney buyins ($300 for Lucy plus $200 for me and a reserve of $500 in case the ME goes badly early), some tips money, something to pay for a trip to Brimstone Fortress and maybe some snorkelling. Total in the region of $1500 should cover it?

How much for tips btw? Is it expected that we tip everyone for serving us our all-inclusive food and drinks? I"m not accustomed to this highlife stuff.

Thanks in advance

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Currency exchange and travel advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Blatant extended brag from the staker request post  ;D

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »

Blatant extended brag from the staker request post  ;D

:-[

I"m shocked you could think such a thing.

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 13:01:16 PM »
For that amount your best bet is probably the Post Office whose rate is pretty competetive with no commission......to benefit from getting a spot rate you really need to be changing up like £5k+.

Wouldnt worry too much about size of tips etc over there......its not like USA where frowned upon if dont give right amount or nothing at all....just give what u feel appropriate.....if remember rightly I was giving like $1 a drink at tables and maybe $2 at bars and then like $10-20 if at one of the non-buffet style restaurants......fyi the diving out there is pretty amazing and if you can manage to get any in so much more to see than snorkelling......think was like $50-75 per dive but well worth it!!

Hope helps

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 13:08:59 PM »

For that amount your best bet is probably the Post Office whose rate is pretty competetive with no commission......to benefit from getting a spot rate you really need to be changing up like £5k+.

Wouldnt worry too much about size of tips etc over there......its not like USA where frowned upon if dont give right amount or nothing at all....just give what u feel appropriate.....if remember rightly I was giving like $1 a drink at tables and maybe $2 at bars and then like $10-20 if at one of the non-buffet style restaurants......fyi the diving out there is pretty amazing and if you can manage to get any in so much more to see than snorkelling......think was like $50-75 per dive but well worth it!!

Hope helps

Thanks myles.

I am, or was, a very good swimmer. Won competitions for lifesaving in my teens and used to swim the length of the pool underwater and turn back. Tried scuba once in my thirties with a colleague who was a qualified instructor. Loathed it. Tried snorkelling the same evening and found that much more accessible.

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 13:51:53 PM »
Where are you flying from?

If Heathrow try these guys: https://www.iceplc.com/travel-money/branch-collection/heathrow.html

They are generally the closest to spot rate you will get. Must print off the voucher on that link though - and you get the rate on the day, not todays rate.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 13:54:59 PM »
Getting back to the currency thing..I"d have to agree. Unless you are planning on taking a LOT of money then the differential between getting 1.57522 and 1.59654 (just to make up some numbers) isn"t worth worrying about.

The Post Office is a good bet (and dead convenient) or you could use Travelex and pick it up at the airport.

I use these guys mostly (ICE) or City Forex if I need more than usual.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 17:53:19 PM »

Getting back to the currency thing..I"d have to agree. Unless you are planning on taking a LOT of money then the differential between getting 1.57522 and 1.59654 (just to make up some numbers) isn"t worth worrying about.

The Post Office is a good bet (and dead convenient) or you could use Travelex and pick it up at the airport.

I use these guys mostly (ICE) or City Forex if I need more than usual.

Exactly this.....City Forex would be my suggestion for monster amounts too!!

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 19:42:16 PM »
For dollars i would suggest contacting "Flushy" (James Dempsey), via blonde.

He"s going to be there, I believe, and he will be able to sort you out a much better rate than the Post Office.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »
Cheque Centre is best i"ve ever found for going to most places, always a better rate than Post Office, M&S, Banks etc
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »
Thanks all - I think Paulie"s observation on the minimal impact of rates on the comparatively small amount I"m taking is pertinent and I guess that sends me off to find the most convenient method of doing this.

My local ASDA (see what a baller I am) has a currency bureaux and offers a free Currency Card that I can just preload and draw what I need from an ATM or just spend on the card. Rate looks to be close enough to anything online and I can reload via internet banking if I need to.

Downsides?

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »

Thanks all - I think Paulie"s observation on the minimal impact of rates on the comparatively small amount I"m taking is pertinent and I guess that sends me off to find the most convenient method of doing this.

My local ASDA (see what a baller I am) has a currency bureaux and offers a free Currency Card that I can just preload and draw what I need from an ATM or just spend on the card. Rate looks to be close enough to anything online and I can reload via internet banking if I need to.

Downsides?

Does the hotel have an ATM??......as all inclusive guessing you wont be venturing out into town much!!

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
Just win the main event.. So take bare minimum for food drink etc.. Simples  ;D . Good luck enjoy the trip.
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 13:04:55 PM »

Downsides?

Depends on what you are charged for using the ATM....they aren"t usually free outside of the UK.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 13:10:35 PM »

Downsides?

Depends on what you are charged for using the ATM....they aren"t usually free outside of the UK.

No charge from the card provider, I guess there will be a charge at the Marriott but it does mean I don"t have to faff on with travellers cheques or carry all my cash with me.