Author Topic: AA on a single-suit board  (Read 6078 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
AA on a single-suit board
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:48:26 AM »
Playing 50p/£1 cash at DTD.  I"ve been getting a bad run of cards, and with some loose play at the table I"ve been struggling to find spots to win pots.  I"m sitting with a little over £100 (having replenished my stack), there are some smaller stacks and others with a little more than me.

Anyway, I"m in the BB and look down at   ah :as:.

UTG+1 raises to £3 - a small raise for this table (loose aggressive player, but seems to understand the game, whereas some others at the table are just loose and bonkers).  One of the bonkers players calls, and when it comes round to me I raise to £12.

UTG+1 calls (he has about £80).  The other player folds.

Flop:   7c 4c  qc

The action"s on me.  What should I be thinking here?  Should I be leading out?

I decided to bet, and made it £18.

The other player moves all-in.

What do I do here?  
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: AA on a single-suit board
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »
I think I"m calling.

The original small raise is also a little strange - was he wanting customers ? KK or maybe AA ?

Or is he holding AQ and he"s scared of a possible flush draw that you may be holding ?

If he"s already hit the flush would he not want to extract as much out of you as possible, and so just call your bet ? Especially as this is cash and not tournament play. (if this was a tournament I"d probably fold, by the way)

Bet he was holding QQ and was scared of the possible flush so bet out big..........

How far off the mark am I ?   ;D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »
Early position raiser you have tagged as LAG - without knowing any more detail, he could potentially have any two cards here..... so 2 pair isn"t out of the question. 

I wouldn"t have thought he would have QQ as if the table is so loose, one might expect a re-re-raise preflop..... but 77 or 44 are possible.

If he"s hit 2 pair or trips on the flop, with all those spades out there, he"s going to want to protect it....

But, if he had raised with AKo, including the A clubs, he"s probably going to be looking to gamble here with overcards and nut flush draw.

Whatever he has, he certainly doesn"t have the nuts already, and I doubt he has a flush at all...... so his all in move is either protection or big draw.

You have big hand, but with not much chance to improve... and you may already be almost drawing dead. Whether to call or not depends on your mood, and how much you value the £100 stack.... if you are the type of player who needs to find out if you"re being bluffed or not, then the call is a reasonable one....... but also, if you"re a tight assed bugger, the fold is equally good here.

I would call. I think he has Ace clubs, with either a K or a Q of another suit.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »
Call all day. Cash game so if he has flopped the nuts reload.

If he is laggy I doubt he"s moving in with the made flush. You"re probably dodging a club.

Other strong possibility is a set. With a draw heavy board like this tho a naked club is most likely.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Ericstoner

• Bronze Member
  • It's getting harder, my feet are biginning to drag
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
He could have  ac kh or  ac qd(any k or q) or if he reads blonde he could have raised with 74 but thats unlikely.
This does indeed all come down to how much you value your stack,and how scary the flop looks to you.
If you"ve got the gamble in you you call,but that flop is  quite scary,and will you reload again if he has the flush?
my best advice call and bathe in the glow if contentment when he turns his aq over.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 19:26:47 PM »
Call ya wimp  ;D ;D ;D

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 13:16:52 PM »
I think you should call, then you are either a 2:1 favorite to his AcXx or drawing almost dead, but then you can post it as a "what should i do" question on here as a thinly veiled bad beat story..... ;D
Still learn the science and practicing the art

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 17:34:25 PM »
No bad beat.  Just curious as to how people would play it.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 20:59:34 PM »
come on Dan - waiting in anticipation here. What do you do, and did you get to see his cards?  he had AQ with ace clubs right??

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 18:14:45 PM »
It"s irrelevant.  What story should I make up to make it sound the most interesting..?

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 19:20:40 PM »
I think he had top pair with the flush draw  ;D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 19:35:09 PM »

I think he had top pair with the flush draw  ;D

I think you"re probably right!  What you doing next week then?  You decided yet?

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 19:38:26 PM »
Poker schedule for next two weekends:

Playing DTD Saturday instead of Walsall

PLaying DTD regional- however should I still have chips in the evening gonna have a dilemma as to what to do- will cross that bridge IF it happens (very unlikely- I"m a tournament donk, may have to repeat my feat at Broadway)