Author Topic: A month in poker, Vegas and random thoughts.  (Read 24278 times)

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
Re: A month in poker, Vegas and random thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 14:16:33 PM »
Good luck Joe, let"s hope a deep run can inspire Uncle Glen to take down the seniors event!!
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 17:49:19 PM »
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • Vague memories of being in Vegas
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 16:08:20 PM »
Joe finished 86th of the 2105 entrants for a cash of just over $4,500. His update read:

Just busted in 86th kq into a9 my last 15 bbs lost kk to 77 to put me on 80 bbs

A great start to the trip though and let"s hope it"s the first of many.
APAT Scotland runner up 2008
APAT Sotland final table 2009
If it's not in Scotland you can forget it!

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 20:34:20 PM »
I bought a new suitcase today from a local shop. £40 wasn"t too bad and my old case had seen better days. The packing starts tonight and the polo shirts are folded and stacked ready for loading. The APAT ones are in, the Chezger top is in even though it"s showing the signs of age, and my lucky Harrahs polo is also in and it must be ten years old now!

I live near Gatwick and Virgin offer a good service called Twilight check in where you can take your case up the night before the flight and get your boarding card. Saves any queues on the morning and you can head straight through to departures. So I"ll be heading up there on Wednesday night to get rid of the bag.

Three days and counting...........

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 21:10:48 PM »

I bought a new suitcase today from a local shop. £40 wasn"t too bad and my old case had seen better days. The packing starts tonight and the polo shirts are folded and stacked ready for loading. The APAT ones are in, the Chezger top is in even though it"s showing the signs of age, and my lucky Harrahs polo is also in and it must be ten years old now!

I live near Gatwick and Virgin offer a good service called Twilight check in where you can take your case up the night before the flight and get your boarding card. Saves any queues on the morning and you can head straight through to departures. So I"ll be heading up there on Wednesday night to get rid of the bag.

Have a great trip mate and say well done to Joe  :)

Here"s some helpful hints if you are struggling with the lingo

Harrahs = Ha-Razz
The Aria = The R-ree-a
The Rio = The Ree-O
Hooters = Hooters (that"s  handy :D)
I need a piss = can you show me the way to the restroom please ;D
just one more beer = jus juan mor beeeeer pleez ;D
wassop = WSOP
YEEEESSSSS, C"MOOOOOOON = Thank you for the nice bracelet  :o
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 21:39:41 PM »
see you in a few days Glen, I fly weds, juices well and truly flowing now ;D
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 21:48:22 PM »

Have a great trip mate and say well done to Joe  :)

Here"s some helpful hints if you are struggling with the lingo

Harrahs = Ha-Razz
The Aria = The R-ree-a
The Rio = The Ree-O
Hooters = Hooters (that"s  handy :D)
I need a piss = can you show me the way to the restroom please ;D
just one more beer = jus juan mor beeeeer pleez ;D
wassop = WSOP
YEEEESSSSS, C"MOOOOOOON = Thank you for the nice bracelet  :o

You"re nearly right but Harrahs is pronounced like (hip hip) hoorah but replace the oo with an a  ;D ;D

Thanks for the top advice!

See you there Brendan, I"ll be around the Starbucks on the way down to the playing area about 9.45 on Friday. The 10 o"clock start for the seniors is still tilting me but there you go.

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 21:57:28 PM »
Glgl Glen.....have a wicked time but most of all SHIP BACK THE BLING!! 8)

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 19:17:48 PM »
Right, next stop Vegas. My bag has been dropped off and I"ve got my boarding pass. Work was super busy right up to the end of today so now I can start to think about the holiday.

On a related point, I"ve been meaning to get an i-pad but haven"t got around to it. Assuming I bought one in Vegas, there isn"t anything significantly different with an American one is there?

My plan for tomorrow is to do my best to enjoy the flight, get checked in at the Rio, get my two wsop entries paid so that the dollars are handed over, and then have a relaxing few hours with the possibility of a few beers and some low limit table games. If I can go through to around midnight that should be me done and that will be about right as the seniors starts on Friday morning.

Whatever happens on the poker tables, my aim is to enjoy the two weeks first and foremost.

I hear that Joe bubbled a Venetian deepstack when his AA did not hold v 33. It can be a tough game sometimes. Still, I"m sure the thought of me turning up tomorrow is more than adequate compensation  ;D ;D

I"ll update as often as I can.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 19:22:49 PM »

On a related point, I"ve been meaning to get an i-pad but haven"t got around to it. Assuming I bought one in Vegas, there isn"t anything significantly different with an American one is there?

AFAIK...no.

Apple store in the Forum Shops as I recall...FYI
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 19:35:18 PM »

AFAIK...no.

Apple store in the Forum Shops as I recall...FYI

Thanks Paulie I"ll check it out.

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 13:51:52 PM »
Well I"ve arrived. Good flight and got the the Rio about 4pm. Met Dannny who had busted the $1500 and we sat at the bar in Palms for a few hours having a good old natter. Freerolled the night thanks to Miami Heat winning too.

It"s about 6am now and I"m wide awake. Was asleep at 11 last night so all ready for my first event today, the seniors starting at 10am local time.

It"s great to be here, now we need to win some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 19:22:57 PM »

Well I"ve arrived. Good flight and got the the Rio about 4pm. Met Dannny who had busted the $1500 and we sat at the bar in Palms for a few hours having a good old natter. Freerolled the night thanks to Miami Heat winning too.

It"s about 6am now and I"m wide awake. Was asleep at 11 last night so all ready for my first event today, the seniors starting at 10am local time.

It"s great to be here, now we need to win some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

good luck Glen....have a great time out there

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 14:50:17 PM »
The Seniors tourny report
--------------------------

Blimey, I didn"t know there were that many old people in the world!! Over 4,000 runners and for one day the halls of the Rio were packed with my fellow oldies as we shuffled very slowly towards the Amazon Room.

My table was a bit stereotypical of what you would expect for a seniors tourny. A mixture of old men and women folding and raised 5X when they get Aces. All that is except for one of my new poker heroes who I mentally gave the nickname of "Croation Ger". Croation Ger was different. From the opening exchange with the cocktail waitress at 10.05 - "You have beer?" and when she said that could be arranged it was followed by "Then bring me beer". He quickly tilted most of the table with his constant raising with junk and proudly showing his hand afterwards with the advice "You all play like Harrington, fold, fold, fold". I liked Croation Ger, after all you need characters in this game.

He was unfortunately destined to take a lot of my chips to. You only start with 3,000 and I lost 700 early on when I had to lay down two red queens on the turn when there were 3 diamonds on the flop. He raised my c bet and I flatted. He then put in a pot sized bet on the turn and I had to make a decision. I felt I could do well on this table so I folded and he then raised his cards and yelled at me "I flopped da nutz" as he showed the ace and another diamond. Good laydown by me especially against him!

Six beers later Croation Ger goes all in for 1,200. I call out of the small blind. I have pocket nines he has pocket sixes. I hit a nine, he is putting his coat on in graceful manner when an 8 on the river gives him a gutshot straight and ffs I lose the hand.

Still in, I grind back up and the final hand saw me defend the big with ten and 8 of hearts. Flop is ten, eight, five and I manage to get all my chips in with two callers, one holding aces and the other kings. I hold on the turn, but the river saw a king and so I was out.

I didn"t run good but no complaints. I felt I played well and it just wasn"t my day. I"ve no idea how Croation Ger ended up, but if I see him sat at a bar I"ll buy him a beer for sure!

Off the the Nugget today for their seniors event, and then it"s Binions on Monday for the next main (staked) comp.

Viva Las vegas.

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »
Going ok at binions got 67k average is 45 but long way to go