Author Topic: Favourite Poker TV Shows  (Read 4364 times)

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
Favourite Poker TV Shows
« on: July 08, 2007, 10:59:25 AM »
Poker is all over TV nowadays.  There are some good shows and some really bad shows.  Post your favourites and least favourites here.

HITS:

EPT - My current favourite, John Duthie has done a top job, not just with the TV show but the EPT in general.
High Stakes Poker - Cash game play for big money by the top pros, simply outstanding.
Premier League Poker - Different format, top players and all action.
Late Night Poker - The original and still top viewing.

MISSES:

Anything that uses "celebrities" who haven"t got a clue about poker and are only using it to get their mug on TV.
Poker Million - Good that it is live (well the semis and final anyway), but I am not a fan of the format, much prefer the multi table coverage.
Poker Den - Again, good that it is live, but using £50 pound notes and not chips puts me off, not sure why.

Phil_Crozier

• Silver Member
  • Knowledge Is The Bomb
    • www.easymoneyimthebigwinner.com
Re: Favourite Poker TV Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:18:44 PM »
A lot of them are really good and i like watching the high stakes poker i remember seeing one hand won by Gus Hansen worth over $500,000, but i will tell you one to miss, if you ever see university poker challenge or something like that do not watch it, it is the worst standard of poker i have ever seen on TV
Fold

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:47:06 PM »
Got to be EPT and HSP.

I think Greg Raymer is the best poker pundit on television.  I love listening to the fella.  He knows the game (obviously), but can also explain it so well.  Not only that, but he isn"t afraid of saying what he thinks.  Some pundits try and justify a play, whereas Raymer will just come out and say it was shocking play.  

Many people don"t like Colin Murray when he"s hosting it, but I don"t mind him.  I think Raymer works well with him as well.

My only problem with the EPT coverage, is that they don"t show enough!

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 13:17:53 PM »

Got to be EPT and HSP.

I think Greg Raymer is the best poker pundit on television.  I love listening to the fella.  He knows the game (obviously), but can also explain it so well.  Not only that, but he isn"t afraid of saying what he thinks.  Some pundits try and justify a play, whereas Raymer will just come out and say it was shocking play.  

Many people don"t like Colin Murray when he"s hosting it, but I don"t mind him.  I think Raymer works well with him as well.

My only problem with the EPT coverage, is that they don"t show enough!

Did you get your mug on TV in the EPT coverage Dan?

I like the WSOP the EPT and the HSP...
"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 14:26:49 PM »
Don"t think I was on at all.  I actually missed the first two shows for the EPT Copenhagen - but I was never on the TV table, so if I was on it would have only been a fleeting glimpse.

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 15:11:01 PM »

If he is the clown that co-presents with John Duthie, then I"m afraid I"m firmly in the "don"t like" camp.

As much as pains me to say it, I think the yanks win hands down with their presentation of poker shows. HSP currently gets my vote as favourite, with WSOP and WPT as next best.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 19:32:46 PM »
Forgot to include William Hill Grand Prix, this is fantastic TV.  Johnny Lodden"s performance in his heat last time was simply the best TV poker I have seen.  Top player.

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 19:38:18 PM »

If he is the clown that co-presents with John Duthie, then I"m afraid I"m firmly in the "don"t like" camp.

I understand he is not everyone"s cup of tea, but I like Colin Murray as poker commentator.  Although I like his radio shows aswell. 

Whilst Jesse May will always be the don (he is an idol and made late night poker so special), I sometimes get the feeling he has lost his love of the game.  Or maybe it is just because he works for Matchrrom only and their structures don"t allow enough play to commentate on.  I feel another thread coming on...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 19:41:38 PM by ThinkerJE »

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 19:44:58 PM »
Personally grown tired of Jesse May, more of a fan of the WSOP team, Norman Chad and Lon MC.... something lol Also really enjoyed the WPT commentaries provided by Phil Laak (has done good commentary on other shows too), Antonio Estfandiari, Negreanu and Lindgren. Favourite tv shows include those mentioned and i dont mind the Betfair poker masters of Europe and Cash poker as well. Agreed tho that the student competition is awful and i wasnt overly impressed with the imput from Scott Fischman although i do like his book. Chad Brown seems to be prouducing a few shows such as Cash poker and the Ultimate poker Challenge which are definately worth a look.