Author Topic: WCOAP 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 220157 times)

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: APAT Announce WCOAP 2014
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 21:42:49 PM »
I think you"ve bolded the wrong bit Paulie... Stu just hates London!!
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

Careybear

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 21:43:29 PM »

I stayed in a hotel down the road from there and it was £30 per night...nothing to write home about but nice and cheap.

Specifics please.

There are quite a few B&B type places along London Road which is sort of the main thoroughfare....you can find some on various booking sites.

I will be searching more extensively over the coming days.

It was down Romford Road and has a McDonald"s across the road and i ate there around 3 a.m. both nights I stayed..just looked it up on google maps...it"s called the Newham Hotel.  It may be more a night now...it doesn"t say on the site..you have to contact them on their site..no online booking it looks like.

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 21:46:11 PM »
The Friday has:

1200 - 6max
1800 - Shootout
2000 - Razz

Would it be possible to have the Shootout at 12? 90% of the field will be gone by 6pm so you can increase your participation in the others, whilst minimising the issues with players buying seats and then pulling out as they"re still in the 6max (depending on whatever rules imposed re: pre-regging).
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 21:48:17 PM »
Gotta remember Paulie, it"s also extra days in the festival.
That"s a few extra nights in hotel and other expenses of being away (food etc) plus extra events to pay for, and extra holidays to use at work.

Not knocking the WCOAP, I"m just not sure I"ll make the whole thing due to the factors.
Team Gotham - The Joker

Serial APAT Underachiever

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 21:55:00 PM »
When we went to the Olympic Stadium in July this year, we stopped at Connaught House Hotel. It"s only two or three stops away from Stratford International on the DLR. I can"t remember the price but it was in the £50 to £70 range for a double. Really nice hotel and nice rooms.

http://www.connaughthousehotel.com/

Careybear

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 21:56:55 PM »
Another hotel next to it is the Hartley Hotel http://www.hartleyhotel.co.uk it"s pretty good prices as well...there is a night bus right outside of the hotels if i remember right..i just walked back myself...I"m not afraid to walk anywhere but for those who are it"s less than a mile away from Westfield so a taxi or bus would be pretty cheap.

Carey..

p.s. Paulie..always here to help with accomodation :)  I"m so happy it"s at Aspers..i love aspers!!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 23:15:04 PM by Paulie_D »

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 22:06:45 PM »
Paulie, advice if you would be so kind sir. Is it best to just book up now the prices are decent enough or wait and see if a sale comes on?
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 22:09:07 PM »

Im afraid that it being in London and the expense that comes with that....

I keep seeing this...and, with all due respect to Stu, I"m not sure that it"s true.

Hotel prices are comparable to Nottingham and surely a train ticket isn"t that much more?

Its the overall prices mate, food and drink ARE mroe expensive (you mjust remember, we northern types are poor) And i have just bought a new car after the last one gave up.

Train tickets to go to london for the NFL were pricey, i cant see it changing really.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 22:17:17 PM »

Im afraid that it being in London and the expense that comes with that....

I keep seeing this...and, with all due respect to Stu, I"m not sure that it"s true.

Hotel prices are comparable to Nottingham and surely a train ticket isn"t that much more?

I"m surprised that anyone can deny that London is significantly more expensive than almost anywhere else in the UK. FFS they even charge extra to drive on most of their roads! Hotels are way more expensive than anywhere I"ve ever been in the UK, drinks and food are over-priced, car parking is limited and over-priced, etc etc etc

However, it"s a great place to visit. Not sure I can afford it this time though.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 23:02:38 PM »

I"m surprised that anyone can deny that London is significantly more expensive than almost anywhere else in the UK. FFS they even charge extra to drive on most of their roads! Hotels are way more expensive than anywhere I"ve ever been in the UK, drinks and food are over-priced, car parking is limited and over-priced, etc etc etc

However, it"s a great place to visit. Not sure I can afford it this time though.

You"re thinking of Central London which Stratford isn"t.

The hotel prices are comparable to Nottingham (I"ve checked), it"s nowhere near the Congestion Area, there is, I think, free parking at the Westgate (that I will have to check) and food and drink prices outside of the centre are sometimes cheaper than other cities I could mention.

Still at least they won"t be serving any of that Northern muck.

Each to their own though. More seats for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 23:14:10 PM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 23:08:27 PM »

Paulie, advice if you would be so kind sir. Is it best to just book up now the prices are decent enough or wait and see if a sale comes on?

TBH...if you can find a price you are happy with now...I would jump on it.

By all means see if you can find a cancellable option (Booking.com is great for that).

Waiting for a deal that may not come while regular prices rise is an excrutiating pain.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 23:13:12 PM »
One thing to remember folks is that although London may have the best travel network in the country...it"s not really a 24 hour service.

After 11pm things start to get a little thin. The tubes are basically closed by midnight and the night bus service is handy but is not exactly every 10 minutes.

Staying relatively close would probably be your best option but a shared taxi between a few people to a slightly more distant hotel might save you a few quid here and there.

sleeves

• Bronze Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 23:18:51 PM »
I was in Stratford earlier this year at the Olympic stadium, We stayed over night in stratford, I didn"t find it over priced and if you can share with some one it will cut the cost. If any one partners love shopping then this is the plc to go, mind you they may max your credit cards out!!! as there are some fantastic shops there. Also many great restaurant"s

pewpwagoon

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2013, 02:14:10 AM »
buzzzzzzing! now to see if i can get the time off work :/
Lukas Daszynski

Pilf

• Bronze Member
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
I knew moving to London would pay off eventually!!!
For those worrying about cost, East London/Stratford has so many cheap places to stay I"d suggest this will be as cheap as anywhere on the calendar.
You should get a double/twin room for £50 even in the week within spitting distance of Stratford. Think of all those hotels for the olympics that need guests now it"s not 2012!
Plus, if you are Hi_Am_Chris you can stay on my sofa! It"s a 35 minute overground journey away but it"s FREE! For the days Chris isn"t coming down, I have a spare sofa! Team Polska get 1st dibs.