Author Topic: WCOAP 2014 - England Team  (Read 12084 times)

AJDUK

• Gold Member
WCOAP 2014 - England Team
« on: January 29, 2014, 22:57:05 PM »
I"m still getting over the shock of being asked to captain England for the forthcoming World Team title defence at WCOAP 2014 in April. It will be the first time I"ve worn the England shirt, so being asked to be captain on top just makes it all the more special.

It"s going to be a tough task defending a world title and it goes without saying I"ll be looking to field a team every bit as strong as last year. To that end, and as is the norm with England teams, I"m asking for anyone interested in playing to PM me with a few details that you feel will help me decide. There are only 3 more spots in the team, so it"s going to be tough to have to choose between so many fantastic players and friends that request a place but I can assure you I will acknowledge and consider all applications very closely. I"m certainly not looking forward to having to disappoint anyone, which is the worst part of the job.

To make sure people have as much time as possible to secure their travel plans I would like to finalise the team ASAP, therefore closing date for applications is Sunday 16th February - the team will be announced shortly after.

Although there seems to have been loads of team events recently, this is only the fourth World Team event - a bracelet event at that. Only ENGLAND and Wales have won it previously, and there"s no reason to change that now!

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

AJDUK

• Gold Member
Re: WCOAP 2014 - England Team
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 22:57:32 PM »
WCOAP 2014 info here:

http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=14949.0

Team Championship thread is here:

http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=14902.0

Key Team Event input from Des:

I have discussed this with Tom and Matt and I can assure you that the event will definitely have five phases to it.

With five phases, country captains will have to allocate their four players in the following way:-

Day One

Phase 1 - NLHE, NLHE, NLHE, NLHE

Phase 2 - NLHE, NLHE, PLO, PLO

Phase 3 - HU

Day Two

Phase 4 - NLHE, NLHE, PLO8, PLO8

Phase 5 - MTT

With over three months to go, captains should be able to ensure they have at least two players in their team who are expert in Omaha and 08.

The Main Event and the World Amateur Team Championship are the two most high profile tournaments of the WCOAP and we think the above format will lead to another superbly competitive event.

I"m assuming this remains true, although Des has been known to change his mind! 8)

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »
Good luck Andy, although I"m envious of you, at the same time I"m not (if you know what I mean :))  

IrishTom

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »

WCOAP 2014 info here:

I have discussed this with Tom and Matt and I can assure you that the event will definitely have five phases to it.

With five phases, country captains will have to allocate their four players in the following way:-

Day One

Phase 3 - HU

Day Two

Phase 5 - MTT

With over three months to go, captains should be able to ensure they have at least two players in their team who are expert in Omaha and 08.

The Main Event and the World Amateur Team Championship are the two most high profile tournaments of the WCOAP and we think the above format will lead to another superbly competitive event.

I"m assuming this remains true, although Des has been known to change his mind! 8)

This is "set in stone" - congratulations Andy and good luck to you and your team.
Facebook: Tom Brady (Plymouth)
Twitter: TomBradyLPPL

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
Resigning captaincy was a hard thing to do - really glad with where this has been assigned though! Great choice.

Best of luck Andy!!

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 16:42:05 PM »
Good Luck Andy and congrats on captaincy

Its gonna be a hard act to follow from last time but I"m sure there are plenty of worthy players
to chose from who can step up and perform,  
but a 2nd behind WALES will be a worthy result LOL ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 16:43:34 PM »

WCOAP 2014 info here:

Day One

Phase 3 - HU

Day Two

Phase 5 - MTT

pmsl!

Very best of luck in your captaincy Andy.   :)
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 17:44:20 PM »

Resigning captaincy was a hard thing to do - really glad with where this has been assigned though! Great choice.

Best of luck Andy!!

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 22:34:57 PM »
Thanks to all that applied; you should have received a PM from me by now.

So without further ado, I"m really pleased to announce that the following players will join me to do battle in the England colours at the WCOAP in April.

Andy Kingan An extremely tough player, Andy has represented England once before winning a silver medal at the Home Nations in Newcastle in Season 5 whilst also finishing first in the individual points table for the event. He provides all the experience for the team, being the only previously capped player chosen this time.

Ant Williams Residing 5th on the APAT All Time Cashes list and in the top 20 of the APAT All Time Money list it"s a massive surprise that Ant hasn"t worn the England shirt before. An extremely solid player Ant is tailor made for this format of poker and I"m delighted to be able to give this proud Englishman his first cap.

James Edwards Known on the forum as ThinkerJE he really lives up to his name in all aspects of the game. He has many excellent APAT results to back up his knowledge and is another who"s place in the team seems long overdue.

Finally, to announce perhaps the most important place in the team.......

...... our non-playing Team Mascot, Chief Pom-Pom flinger and Master Baker Debjani Duncan  ;D

Really looking forward to the event - COME ON ENGLAND!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 23:03:58 PM by AJDUK »

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 22:59:19 PM »
Great team choices Andy!

Chuffed with all the choices, but particularly chuffed to see Ant get a place - so deserved.

England FTW!  Get defending guys ;)

bellagio joe

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 23:15:32 PM »
Concrats to all, especially uncle Ant .Looks a very solid team Andy. Now we are going to play the main event!  Where"s these sats and these lists!   5th... top 20!

fandango

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • "it was suited"
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 00:07:11 AM »

Great team choices Andy!

Chuffed with all the choices, but particularly chuffed to see Ant get a place - so deserved.

England FTW!  Get defending guys ;)

+1

Echo what Steve has said lovely to see Ant in the squad  :), with James Andy and yourself playing a formidable team to be reckoned with C"MON ENGLAND!!
2011 Bronze medal in Omaha online WCOAP
2012 ECOAP Main Event Champion and Gold Medalist
2012 ECOAP Player of Series winner
2012 UK Amateur Champion
WCOAP Gold Medalist and Bracelet winner Team England
S7 WCOAP Bronze medal Antes only
Bronze Shoot out WCOAP

suzanne

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:07:18 AM »
Very strong team, congrats to all x

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:21:34 AM »
That"s a heck of a team. Pleased to see Ant picked - he should have been there long ago. It"s also surprising that James hasn"t been in the team before either.

I think England has just become one of the favourites to win the event.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
Top top team, go and smash them to pieces boys!!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013