Author Topic: In the beginning  (Read 100904 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: In the beginning
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2009, 13:51:07 PM »
if you are going to grind up cash games then i think you should employ proper bankroll management and play the limits you are "rolled for. 4 buyins at 25nl is playing with scared money and you could get your chips in as 70% fav and lose them all = busto. Plus not reloading when busted and things such as that are not good for long term profit, especially if a fish has just 2 outered you and you have good expectation if you reload.

even playing well, 10 buy in downswings are not uncommon, therefore your bankroll has to be sufficient to cope with this.

for this reason i would continue grinding 25nl with the "roll you have until you have at least $1k. Even $1k can be a small roll for 50nl, but i guess you play kind of conservative compared to me (and i assume full ring as opposed to 6max tables)
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 15:19:44 PM »
I used to play cash all the time, and loved it when running well, but as Dean says the downswings can be a killer. I have now switched almost exclusively to SNGs and MTTs and am enjoying my poker a lot more, cash can be such a grind and pretty boring. Having said that Wayne, 17 hours in a month is hardly nose to the grind stone stuff  ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 18:20:15 PM »
The problem is that you can grind it out for 17 hours playing cash for a profit of $180 or play a tournament for 6 hours and get $600. The trouble is that I will probably go 6 month before I get a cash like that. But then again I could play tomorrow and win $2000

I will be sticking with the cash tables for now with the odd tournament throne in. My first aim is to get to the $500 so that's $220 to go.

The trouble is that I don't play enough so this is going to take some time; I just hope I don't get bored of it.  

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2009, 18:24:22 PM »

for this reason i would continue grinding 25nl with the "roll you have until you have at least $1k. Even $1k can be a small roll for 50nl, but i guess you play kind of conservative compared to me (and i assume full ring as opposed to 6max tables)

Yes I am as tight as a ducks a** so my swings may not be as big as yours and I play full ring games.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2009, 18:28:22 PM »

I used to play cash all the time, and loved it when running well, but as Dean says the downswings can be a killer. I have now switched almost exclusively to SNGs and MTTs and am enjoying my poker a lot more, cash can be such a grind and pretty boring. Having said that Wayne, 17 hours in a month is hardly nose to the grind stone stuff  ;)

I only play at the weekends so it's hard to get more hours in bearing in mind that I play tournaments as well. I tried to play both at the same time but found it hard to concentrate on both so it's one or the other.  

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 19:04:00 PM »
Can I ask why you play poker?

May seem a stupid question but is it to make money or is it to have fun? some people can lose and still have fun (isn"t that right Ger  ;) ) Other people don"t enjoy poker if losing. Maybe you can be a winning player but if you find it boring do you really want to continue? Maybe spending the winnings is the fun part?

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 19:26:40 PM »

some people can lose and still have fun (isn"t that right Ger  ;) )

I would argue - but i"d lose

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 19:30:11 PM »

you"re still a winner in my book mate.

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 20:42:44 PM »

but your having fun tho!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 04:00:37 AM »
Braking news

"I have just caught a burglar" well the police have

Trying to brake in to the house and then next door.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »
I guess he heard about your poker bankroll stuffed under the bed!

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:01 AM »
dodgy area imo
Looking forward to making my first day 2

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »

Braking news

"I have just caught a burglar" well the police have

Trying to brake in to the house and then next door.

pays to stay up playing poker doesn"t it  ::)

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2009, 09:49:29 AM »

Sorry Stuart but being waken up at 3.00am with someone in your house, I don't find funny, anyway I keep it in the teapot  

Woke up at 3.00 am, phoned police 3.02, by 3.08 3 people arrested, by 3.30 in police cell. Excellent job by the Police

Will get let out at 12.00 with a slap on the wrist, by tonight they will be at it again. Bad job by the Magistrates      

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »

Sorry Stuart but being waken up at 3.00am with someone in your house, I don't find funny, anyway I keep it in the teapot  

Woke up at 3.00 am, phoned police 3.02, by 3.08 3 people arrested, by 3.30 in police cell. Excellent job by the Police

Will get let out at 12.00 with a slap on the wrist, by tonight they will be at it again. Bad job by the Magistrates      

Ah - they were in and you were in bed, not good. Glad to hear it worked out all right. Personally I would have wrapped a 3 iron round their heads, but then the magistrate would put me away, silly law................