Author Topic: Duke attempts the Impossible  (Read 1359392 times)

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
Re: Duke attempts the Impossible
« Reply #1110 on: October 06, 2009, 16:01:07 PM »

I had this for a survery thing... and same error message came up.  If you refresh the page and your account, it should then appear.

I blame Des by the way  ;D

Quite right.  It"s one thing to promise the free £5, but quite another thing to actually part with it...  ;)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1111 on: October 06, 2009, 17:42:27 PM »
Well, I worked from dawn to dusk for the next week with no sign of the ould lad. Although I suspect he was sneaking up when I was not around to cast his beady eye over the whole proceedings.

I laid out a line where the fence was to be installed. The ould lad had determined the height of the fence should be four feet high, So I set about digging the holes for my end posts. Feck me but it was hard going and I managed a depth of about 30 inches. After liberally painting the ends with linseed oil I positioned the end posts.

I ran a builder"s line from one end post to the other. All was going to plan, I marked out where the other posts were to go and dug the rest of my holes, which took me the rest of the day.

The next day I set the remaining posts, taking extreme care they were plumb. I was now beginning to get blisters and my temper was not the best, which any passer by who dared to offer encouragement could attest to.

The following day I nailed the stringers from post to post in threes (top middle bottom) and that took me all day with a feck load of frigging mistakes, as it turned out that my pole to pole measurements weren't quite accurate FML.

The next day I painted the finished fence with a waterproofing sealer, and set about making the gate, This was not the masterpiece that was intended by the ould lad, but it looked fine to me.

I attached the gates to the fence posts and they nearly met in the middle, a long chain FTW I thought, because at this stage I was beyond caring.

I stepped back and surveyed the finished article.

To be honest each post would have challenged the Pisa Tower for degree of lean, The stringers, which looked fine close up, resembled a sine wave on speed. The gate looked like an episode of Little and Large and in summary it looked like it had been put together by Stevie Wonder whilst wearing boxing gloves.

I was dead.

Nothing for it but to march down, tell the ould lad I had completed the job and take my medicine.

We walked up together and he surveyed the disaster of a fence.

Minutes seemed to pass, although in reality it was probably seconds. He turned to look at me, I braced myself for the inevitable tirade that was to follow and he said.

"Good job son, as fine a fence as I have ever seen"

My jaw dropped and I looked at the fence and back to him and wondered was his eyesight gone.

"Cmon I'll but you a pint to celebrate its completion" says he.

I followed him down to Minogue"s shaking my head, sometimes he would surprise me, but one thing was certain he was a damn fine man and I loved him to bits .....

Priceless

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1112 on: October 06, 2009, 18:13:52 PM »
It"s my birthday today and amongst the fine pressies from friends and family I got.

£5 bet from Sky -- Thanks Des !!
1 days free surfing from my IP
£5 voucher from find me a gift
£3 from shirt city

Bless

rubertoe

• Gold Member
« Reply #1113 on: October 07, 2009, 17:50:38 PM »

It"s my birthday today and amongst the fine pressies from friends and family I got.

£5 bet from Sky -- Thanks Des !!
1 days free surfing from my IP
£5 voucher from find me a gift
£3 from shirt city

Bless

Free Stuff FTW!
Lifes tough, its even tougher when your stupid

North London Poker Club

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1114 on: October 07, 2009, 18:16:51 PM »
Bad Beat or what -- They run so good LOL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8294858.stm

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1115 on: October 08, 2009, 18:01:08 PM »
Had a day off work today and went 10 pin bowling and generally chilled out. It was a nice relaxed day. Just finished watching a documentry on the 1972 Miami Dolphins - their perfect season 17-0. They have six players in the hall of fame and of course the coach Don Shula.

It seems dedication and hard work can pay off, the no-name defense etc etc. Now if I could just transfer that full blooded, in your face attitude to my poker  ;D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1116 on: October 08, 2009, 18:15:38 PM »
Oh and extreme makeover - home edition has great carpenters here is Didiayer Snyder (Her parents had a sense of humour anyway)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1117 on: October 09, 2009, 16:00:26 PM »
A goodly few years ago I was at a works do in Ennis, I was working for De Beers at the time and the night was very lively and the drink was flowing. I had consumed a fine few scoops and I went out into the grounds of the hotel to get a bit of fresh air and try to sober up a wee bit.

I walked around the grounds and they were pretty extensive. Well, lost in my own intoxicated thoughts I looked up and could see no hotel whatever direction I looked in. I seemed to be in some sort of wood and could get no bearings at all.

FFS I am on the edge of a major town it can't be that far in any direction to find civilisation. I started walking and in the pitch black I fell a couple of times and my nice white shirt was torn and no longer a nice white shirt.

I came to the edge of the wood and saw a large stately home sort of building with numerous lights on. At this stage I was knackered and I stumbled towards the main door. All I needed was a phone. I knocked on the door and it was opened by two men in suits.

I thought I said "Can I use your phone please" but by the way the two suits looked at me, in my exhaustion I must have sounded unintelligible. The next thing I know they gently grabbed an arm each while making "there there" noises. I was placed in a nice little room with no furniture other than one bare chair.

It could have been a four poster bed the way I flopped into it as the two suits stood staring at me.

"Doesn't look familiar" said suit #1

"No, but he must be one of ours, just look at him" said suit #2

"What's your name" said suit #1

"Smyth" says I stupidly

"He's one of ours, Call Mr. O'Brien" said suit #2

Mr. O'Brien arrives and by this stage I had recovered some composure and managed to explain what happened.

"Where am I anyway" says I

"St Joseph's Psychiatric Unit" says Mr. O'Brien

FML

Priceless.. It's a wonder they let me out.

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1118 on: October 09, 2009, 17:26:22 PM »
pmsl oops
Mary Kivlin

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1119 on: October 09, 2009, 19:32:48 PM »
LOL just LOL

Went on sky tonight to reg for the SPT -- hadn"t enough of funds

1. tried to deposit
2. refuesd
3. ring customer support
4. Lovely lady
5. Ask me loads of questions -- fair enough
6. "wahts wrong"
7. says I have exceeded my depoosit limit
8. No way I am only trying to deposit £20
9. Ok lets check
10. excuse me sir you have filled the amount to deposit field with DUKE3016 is that a code
11. FML

priceless

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1120 on: October 09, 2009, 20:02:26 PM »
:D :D
Mary Kivlin

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1121 on: October 09, 2009, 22:33:34 PM »
still in Sky sateliite -- 9 left  5 seats -- pleeese one time

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1122 on: October 09, 2009, 22:42:57 PM »
TID Ger
Mary Kivlin

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #1123 on: October 09, 2009, 23:21:35 PM »
I did -- SPT here I come

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1124 on: October 10, 2009, 00:49:11 AM »
Top stuff as ever and nice one with the SPT.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013