Author Topic: Duke attempts the Impossible  (Read 1358973 times)

Trademans

Re: Duke attempts the Impossible
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2009, 22:20:38 PM »

Still waiting for the blatant brag post "ive satted into Wallsal?"  no game review as yet?

Played two hands, got lucky, limped into the last 22 -- nuff said

result....   ;D

You knocked the wee man out of the $10 tonight -- don"t know if we can ever forgive you QJ FFS

QJ is the Nuts Ger!  Especially against a Chezger residend  ::)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2009, 17:35:00 PM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 17:54:42 PM »

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 21:14:09 PM »
I"m glad you"re getting these stories down Ger, there are some real beauties.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2009, 00:28:39 AM »
My recollection is sketchy most times - but I am really loving doing this as it makes me happy to remember the great times I had between 1970-1988 (one notable exception was my first wife -- LOL). I hope you enjoy these ramblings as much as I enjoy typing them..................................

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2009, 01:23:02 AM »
Absolutely loving the stories... I can easily identify some of the characters, every place had them.  Drop some pics in if you have them...

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2009, 01:28:50 AM »
I would have to take pictures of the pictures if you get my drift. might try that actually.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
A little bit about my village -- plagerised quite a bit -- but hey did you think I knew all this stuff..........................

Nestled in the foothills of the Sliabh Aughty mountains, Bodyke is rich in culture and heritage. It is a village which changed the course of Irish history in the 1880"s when the Bodyke evictions became headline news. The name Bodyke may have come from "Both-Teig" (Teig"s hut), according to T.J. Westropp. The contemporary Irish form is Luban Dige (hence my BSQ name) but this seems to be a modern translation of the English form of the name.

my house is on the left of the picture

The present parish of Bodyke consists of the combined medieval parish of Kilnoe and the southern area of the medieval parish of Tuamgraney. There is uncertainty as to the date of this amalgamation, it possibly occurred in the early eighteenth century.

Kilconnell is situated within the boundaries of the ancient territory of Hy-Ronghaile or Tuath O" Ronghaile which featured prominently in the "Wars of Turlough". There is little doubt that this region served as a war theatre during the conflict between the O"Briens and Richard de Clare in 1315. The place now known as Kilconnell in the townland of Ballinahinch was the scene of at least one Irish-Norman encounter according to the traditions of the area. In 1839 Eugene O"Curry mentioned that "Kilconnell is the name of a pretty oval hill on the top of which is a ruined low circular entrenchment. The place is now under cultivation, but some few years ago when it was being dug up and cleared away, great quantities of human bones were turned up from under the soil, some having been covered by large stones". He continued to relate: "There is a mound between Loughannaloon and Lough Bridget in the same locality, which they say was an attempt formerly made by an English army, who were encamped here, to defend themselves from an Irish army who were encamped at Toomguine, but having been surprised by the enemy they were compelled to fly to their camp where they were pursued and a dreadful battle ensued in which the English were worsted and the greater part of them put to the sword. They were all buried on the top of the adjoining hill now called Kilconnell, and the ditch or mound raised on that occasion retains the name of Claidh na nGall, i.e. the ditch of the English".

In the 1500"s and 1600"s common surnames in the area included Clancy, MacNamara, O"Halloran and Moloney. Many of these Gaelic families lost their lands during the Cromwellian Plantation in the 1650"s. They were replaced by names such as Bourkes and O"Callaghans.

Despite the Penal laws during the 1700"s it seems that religious practice in Bodyke was not unduly effected. Tradition has it that in the early eighteenth century Fr. Daniel MacNamara had a hiding place near Lisbarren Bog. There was a cottage chapel on the hill in Lisbarren overlooking Coolready Lake. The pathway from the chapel to the hiding place is called "Casan an t-Sagairt".

Today, Bodyke is a quiet, peaceful and comfortable village and has an active Community Development Association. The East Clare Golf Club at Coolreagh in Bodyke was officially opened in 1995. In 1998 it played host to a prestigious golfing event, the inaugural West of Ireland Seniors, a tour event on the European Seniors Circuit.

Bodyke is the home parish of novelist, Edna O"Brien and family historian, Dr. Edward MacLysaght.

see I know things..................

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »

I would have to take pictures of the pictures if you get my drift. might try that actually.

Scanner FTW... or get the young fella to trace them.

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2009, 07:53:06 AM »

Scanner FTW...

+1

I have a couple of Scanners in my garage. If you don"t have one lemme know and I"ll send you one. A top read Ger, keep it coming.

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2009, 09:56:59 AM »
You can bring photos with you on your next trip to mine.  I"ll scan them while you hang out at the pub with the Lads.   ;D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »

You can bring photos with you on your next trip to mine.  I"ll scan them while you hang out at the pub with the Lads.   ;D

Um -- Ger pointed out that the printer has a scanner whilst looking at me with a funny exprssion FML

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2009, 11:24:11 AM »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
With the small problem we had with the APAT forum recently it reminded me of a quote that I came across years ago when I was progamming. I don"t know who said it or its exact content but it went something like this.

A programmer is a person who passes as an exacting expert on the basis of being able to turn out, after innumerable key strokes, an infinite series of incomprehensive answers calculated with micrometric precisions from vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive documents and carried out on instruments of problematical accuracy by persons of dubious reliability and questionable mentality for the avowed purpose of annoying and confounding a hopelessly defenseless user community that was unfortunate enough to ask for the information in the first place.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2009, 12:52:42 PM »
Now in an attempt to get some ancient pictures up I have been experimenting and have found out that it ain"t easy, but I will persevere. Here is an arial one of our shop taken circa 1974 with the living accomodation to the left, post office and shop in the middle and the store to the right.

The first window to the left of the Post Office was my Parents bedroom. Now during this time we were having some arguments about my nocturnal activities with partiular emphasis on the hours I was keeping. So I actually moved to our other house opposite the church

and stayed with Margaret Ryan who ran the post office. How Margaret fitted in to the whole history of is another story, but she had worked for my Great Aunt Molly for years and was part of the furniture.

Now one particular Saturday my Father informed me that he required my car in the morning.

"I need to get the papers tomorrow and my car is fecked" says he
"Sound" says I
"Drop the keys through the fly window" says he
"Sound" says I

Well on my way back at some hour of the morning I cut the engine a bit back from the shop and coasted quietly into the car park in front. Stopped, stealthly opened the door, pushed the door shut with no noise at all. I approached the window and  climbed on the sill and reached into the fly window to quietly place the keys on the inside.

Simple -- oh no it wasnt, I dropped the keys and they landed, with a noise that seemed loud enough to wake the dead, on the inside.

"What time do you call this" roared the ould lad

I got such a fright I slipped and put my foot through the lower window, fell back and landed on my arse on the ground. I picked myself up and was walking down the road muttering to myself when the lower window opened with a crash as the rest of the glass fell out and the ould lad was in full flow I can tell you. He surpassed himself in the expletive department and I actually stopped to listen, it was superb. He finally ran out of breath and silence ensued......

Sunday mornings were our busiest time directly after mass and I was in the shop helping out with a stony silence and turn to stone stares from the ould lad. I used to do Mrs Murphy"s shop for her working from her painstakingly written list when in a booming voice the ould lad started.

"What do you think of a son who breaks your bedroom window" says he
"ohh" says Mrs Murphy
"Aye, he put his foot through it last night" says he.

Cue shop full, all noise stopped, all eyes on me and ears on the ould lad.

"3 o"clock it was, came roaring into the front, jumped out of his car and kicked in the window" says he (economical with the truth a bit here Da eh !)

Chorus of ohs and ahs from the gathered womens institute.

"I have always done my best with that boy" says he

Chorus of aye"s - tut tut"s and evil stares at me

"No values these days, anyway Maam can I help you" says he to Mrs Maloney.

His public humiliation achieved he was back to normal...

Great days - great times - priceless