Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 227891 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one
« Reply #855 on: March 30, 2011, 22:15:54 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bcpj-q0Snc[/youtube]

Over the last few days I"ve had a bit of a change of scene. I"d found that I was playing increasingly poorly, so thought that a change of site might do the trick and it has. I"ve gone back to Winner Poker for the first time for a couple of months and I"m having a whale of a time as the optimum way of playing seems to be way more active than on Betfair. Ongame seems to be best played ultra-tight, but Ipoker seems to respond a whole lot better to a much higher bet frequency. Let"s face it, its a heck of a lot more fun to bully people off pots with precious little than wait for sound hands/situations

Results since switching sites
---------------------------

Time played  -  7.75 hours
Hands          -  1153
Profit           - 489 x bb  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 22:21:23 PM by monkeyman »
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #856 on: March 31, 2011, 22:10:59 PM »
Tonight was one of those tedious nights when nothing of real note happened, I had no big hands and zero of any interest happened. Ho hum, maybe next time.

Tonght"s Results
----------------
Minutes    -  129
Hands      -  402
Loss        -  82 x bb

Tomorrow is a night off, as I"m paying a visit to the University of East Anglia (henceforth abbreviated to UEA) to see 4 Scandinavian heavy metal bands including this lot who are 2nd on the bill

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3WJX1cIuY4[/youtube]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #857 on: April 03, 2011, 22:46:15 PM »
I"ve had yet another change of site this weekend. I thought it seemed a little odd to be playing on an Ipoker skin when I"ve got a lot more loyalty points clocked up on another one, so I"ve reverted to our former sponsors, Blue Square. This is in no way connected to the fact that I once went to the expense of having a T-Shirt made with my BSQ name "Idrivetractors" on and I"m looking for some possible reason to have to wear it again. Oh no. 
    This weekend has been frustrating. Yesterday I played at the top of my game yet suffered a load of unfortunate reverses and, all things considered, I am pleased only lost a single buy-in. Today, I was all over the place, yet I hit sufficient big hands to scrape a few quid together. If only I"d had my head screwed-on  throughout and resisted the temptation to have that big glass of red wine last night, things could have been so much better  

Weekend"s results
-----------------
Time played - 7.66 hours
Hands         - 1301
Profit          - 68 x bb
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvIRY4vccts[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 23:09:37 PM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #858 on: April 05, 2011, 23:50:59 PM »
For some strange reason, there"s always been something gnawing away at me, trying to push me into appearing on TV. Several years ago I auditioned for Family Fortunes. Being the smart guy that I am and because I"d seen the show before, I even managed to persuade some of my family to come along too. Last year I auditioned for Countdown. With the former show I think I had too many brain cells, lets face it, having opposable thumbs means you"re overqualified for Family Fortunes, but for the latter I just wasn"t brainy enough. I have seriously considered happy-slapping John McCririck mid-broadcast, but fear I would be deafened by the cheers if I carried out my plan. Yesterday there was an article in the local Norwich press stating that Weakest Link is audtioning somewhere in this "ere vicinity. What a good idea! Tonight I"ve completed my application and have tried to sell myself on the basis that I can generally be relied upon to start an argument in an empty room, so allowing Anne Robinson to take a number of verbal shots at me would provoke some lively TV, although I"m not really sure if my language would be broadcastable.
   Onto the poker and I"m afraid Mr Tiltmonster came knocking on my door. I don"t know why, but from the word go tonight I was playing in a style I"ve never played in before. It wasn"t so much my bet frequency was higher than usual, but I was playing hands I"d not usually play and playing some hands in a way I"ve never played them. For two hours I was absolutely bloody unplayable, but in the final 18 minutes I suffered a number of unfortunate reverses and decided enough was enough when I started abusing an opponent after his AJ flopped a straight to take a pot away from my all-in preflop AK. Calling him a couple of choice names after surrending a whopping $10 pot suggested it was time to call it quits. OK I made a profit, but if I play like that every day, then I will make wads of cash.

Today"s results
--------------
Minutes  -   138
Hands    -    404
Profit     -   25 x bb      

For tonight"s music I"ve chosen a performer who, like a lot of those I"ve posted so far, I"ve had the pleasure of seeing live. A few years ago I caught him in the Norwich Arts Centre which is a converted church. On stage there was the man in question tapping a rhythm on with the heel of his boot, strumming a banjo and singing songs of heartbreak with a voice equal measures as rough as a drunken night in Great Yarmouth and as soothing as a hug from the wings of an angel.  As soon as the first song started, my lower jaw hit the floor and it stayed there until my car pulled away from the nearby pay-and-display. I"ve got one of his albums and it has the rare distinction of sending a shiver down my spine no matter how many times I hear it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNhbSx8KV9A[/youtube]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #859 on: April 06, 2011, 22:29:55 PM »
After last night"s AK being defeated by AJ flopping a straight special, tonight Ipoker served up something even better, with my flopped trip Kings being beaten by someone calling down with  6h jh to hit a runner,runner flush. FFS, Blue Square you w*****s you"ve got one more night to do do the right thing or I"m back to Betfair. Is that what you want? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr    

To-bleeding-night"s results
-------------------------
Minutes    -    175
Hands      -    521
Loss        -     115 x bb  

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzkeeGLhFWY[/youtube]

:"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"( :"(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 22:33:57 PM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #860 on: April 07, 2011, 21:43:17 PM »
Hold the front pages! I"m not going to cry like a baby about bad beats tonight. Woo hoo! In truth it was one of the most uneventful sessions I"ve played in a while and I don"t think I had a single hand that went to showdown.

Tonight"s results
----------------
Minutes     -   150
Hands       -    443
Profit        -   66 x bb

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1uihI8UOM4[/youtube]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #861 on: April 08, 2011, 22:16:21 PM »
The Grand national is a race that if I was a serious punter I would avoid like the plague. There are just too many things that that could go wrong and too many plots hatched for the race for anything to be backed with confidence. Nevertheless, I watched it for years before I was in the the least bit interested in horse racing, so tomorrow, like a large chunk of the country, I"ll have my feet up in front of the TV with a couple of samll each way vouchers to give me an interest.
   As a matter of principle I tend to avoid the front few in the market and go hunting for a bit of value in the longer priced runners. I can see both State of Play and Character Building plodding round and possibly sneaking a bit of prize money, but I don"t see either as likely winners. One I do like a lot is Skippers Brig. From 9 starts over fences he has 5 wins and 2 thirds and has not yet fallen. In his last race Skippers Brig beat Ballybriggs and using the yardstick of 1 pound in weight equaling 1 length, the latter emerges from that run as a 2 pounds better horse, but carries 12 pounds more tomorrow. With that in mind, I find it incredible that Ballybriggs is 14-1 and Skippers Brig 40-1, so guess which I"ll be backing?
   For my second bet, I"m stuck between a choice of two at big prices. I"ve always had a gut feeling that Calgary Bay could go well in a National. At first glance, his record might suggest that he is best at distances short of 3 miles, but there are occasions when he has been staying on at the end of that trip, so bearing mind that tomorrow"s race won"t be run at anything like the pace of a Cheltenham Gold Cup, i think there is every chance that 4.5 miles around Aintree will suit him. His last win was a very convincing one off a handicap mark of 142 in December 2009 at Doncaster and he runs off 146 in the big one. At 33-1 he could be tempting.      
 My third possible has the least convincing profile, but is a big enough price to make me think a bit. Dooneys Gate has done a fair chunk of his racing at 2 to 2.5 miles, but a check back through his record suggests that the most valuable races he has been aimed at are over further. He has had a clear round over the national fences, 4th in last year"s Topham chase, and whilst I"m not convinced that he is spectacularly well handicapped, his last race was a very comfortable off a mark of 144, so tomorrow"s rating of 154 is fair but not OTT. I think he is much,much better that the 100-1 shot he currently is in places.

Today"s results
--------------
Minutes   -   193
Handa     -   591
Profit      -   132 x bb

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dael4sb42nI[/youtube]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #862 on: April 09, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »
Never one to dodge a tricky decision, I"ve, err, bet on all three horses mentioned in my previous post. I"ve backed Skippers Brig at 33-1,Calgary Bay at 40-1 and Dooneys Gate at 66-1.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #863 on: April 10, 2011, 18:40:50 PM »
Oh bu***r. I just realised I can"t make next weekend"s online national because of family commitments. Damn them

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #864 on: April 14, 2011, 21:54:04 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwqRSCWw2g[/youtube]

Not huge profits, but I feel like I"ve learnt a heck of a lot over the last couple of days. I"ve been concentrating on BlueSquare"s 10c/20c tables and my last 2 sessions have followed similar patterns: go a few dollars up, lose a couple of hands, start to get pushed around a bit, get cheesed-off with myself that I"m getting pushed around,start firing out a few crazy bets, then return to profit. All I"ve got to do now is find the guts to play like a mad thing for 2 or 3 hours at a time and things could get very interesting. If nothing else, its a heck of a lot of fun playing poker when you"re throwing your chips around.

Last 2 session"s results
----------------------
Minutes     -  384
Hands        -  1222  
Profit         -   14 x bb
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 21:58:02 PM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #865 on: April 17, 2011, 23:39:24 PM »
2 Sessions today; One where I played like a special needs chimpanzee and another during which I was unplayable. No stats tonight, but two questions to ponder. I"ve received an email from Pokerstars confirming that their site is now closed to US based players. The 2 factors at the top of my list when deciding which sites to play on are (1) being able to move funds on and off at will with no charge (2) Any site which bans a large part of the world"s poker-playing population. I"ve tended to avoid Pokerstars as although I feel it has the best software and tournaments, the competition was tougher than on some of the european-only sites. Now things have changed and I"m very tempted to abandon my main homes for the last few months, Ipoker and Ongame, for a crack at Pokerstars. My questions are (a) will the cash games now be significantly softer and (B) Will the tournaments carry the same guarantees,have fewer players and therefore represent better value for a shot at something bigger? Discuss.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P7Zd-x2QXw[/youtube]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #866 on: April 18, 2011, 19:15:12 PM »
Initial reaction is that Pokerstars has unsurprisingly become a heck of a lot softer overnight. 2 Brief sessions, 209 Hands and a profit of over 200 x bb points to potential good times. Here we go.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgXzPfAxjo[/youtube]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #867 on: April 21, 2011, 21:50:20 PM »
A rare foray into tournament territory tonight and a small return, but sod that, Ipswich 1 Norwich 5 is all that matters. Yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD2D6eter7M[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 21:54:06 PM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #868 on: April 23, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
Since switching allegiance to Pokerstars earlier in the week I"m 6 buy-ins down and I"m not sure how it isn"t double that. I"m taking more than my share of bad beats and whilst 95% of my play is sound, the remianing 5% is laughably bad. Maybe its time for a few tournaments for a bit of a break.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHM2oozNoSY[/youtube]

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #869 on: April 29, 2011, 23:37:45 PM »
No posts for a while as, to be perfectly honest, I"m completely out of love with the game. Overall I"m in profit for the year to date, but take out my 4th place in the first online national and its a completely different story. My cash record reads 1 month of profit to 3 of losses.  Yes I could blame bad luck, but that would be avoiding the issue. The number of hands I"ve played don"t really allow that particular escape route and the rather more painful truth is that I just aint cutting it. There are two main areas where I am going badly wrong. Firstly, I"m completely in control of my emotions when I play tournaments, but I lose the plot way too easily on the cash tables. I can play some absolutely blinding stuff for a couple of hours, but lose a buy-in on a badbeat and almost certainly there"s another buy-in or two on the way out of the window as well. Secondly, I just don"t seem to be able to get away from hands when my opponent flops trips and I"ve either got an overpair or top pair. Put the two together and there aint much profit in cash play.