Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 227397 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: If Chris Ferguson can do it, so can I
« Reply #765 on: January 13, 2011, 20:06:17 PM »
I no longer know whether to laugh or cry. 6 Minutes into the session and I"ve lost my first buy-in. I"m on the button with pocket nines and there are several limpers. I raise to 5xbb,UTG+1 min reraises,there"s a call 2 to his left and I also call. The flop comes 8 6 2, both opponents check and I bet 3/4 the pot. UTG+1 calls and the other guy folds.  The turn is a 7 and once again UTG+1 checks. As I have a pair and an open ended straight draw, there are more chips in the pot than I have behind, I shove and am called. My opponent has Kings and none of my outs hit.
  14 minutes later, I lose 3/4 another stack with queens against tens with my opponent hitting trips.
 Goodbye Betfair, hello Winner (Ha! The irony) Poker
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #766 on: January 13, 2011, 22:03:45 PM »
Phew! That"s a relief. What a difference a change of site can make. After my mid evening change, my session on Winner Poker yielded the following results

95 minutes played
195 hands
Profit - 110xbb

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #767 on: January 14, 2011, 15:51:44 PM »

I no longer know whether to laugh or cry. 6 Minutes into the session and I"ve lost my first buy-in. I"m on the button with pocket nines and there are several limpers. I raise to 5xbb,UTG+1 min reraises,there"s a call 2 to his left and I also call. The flop comes 8 6 2, both opponents check and I bet 3/4 the pot. UTG+1 calls and the other guy folds.  The turn is a 7 and once again UTG+1 checks. As I have a pair and an open ended straight draw, there are more chips in the pot than I have behind, I shove and am called. My opponent has Kings and none of my outs hit.
  14 minutes later, I lose 3/4 another stack with queens against tens with my opponent hitting trips.

What range do u think utg+1 limp re-raises with?  Turn seems to be a check back most of the time even with an spr of <1.  Doubt you get better to fold, or worse to call.

ps - on this note....post some hands in academy.  Really good way to keep sharp.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #768 on: January 17, 2011, 20:57:18 PM »

What range do u think utg+1 limp re-raises with?  Turn seems to be a check back most of the time even with an spr of <1.  Doubt you get better to fold, or worse to call.

ps - on this note....post some hands in academy.  Really good way to keep sharp.

Cheers for posting this. I think you"ve probably hit upon the reason why I revived this blog. Not so many posts ago I touched upon feeling that my game had hit a plateau; I"m quite happy with my tournament results up to a certain point, but last year felt to improve my game I had to completely pull it apart and start from scratch. In December I used most of what was left of last year"s profits to buy a new computer,desk,chair, keyboard and mouse. My first dabblings with tracking software proved to be eye opening and over the past few weeks, my game has expanded out of all recognition. However, I recognised that if I was serious about driving my game towards where I want it to eventually reach, the biggest obstacle I had to try and do something about my ego. Deep down I knew I was making too many mistakes and simply not absorbing some of the information available to me. I thought the best way of keeping myself in check was to post some results, not because I believed anyone was interested in the numbers, more that I felt I was more likely to be honest about my own game if I put some of my flaws up for public scrutiny. I suppose for the hand in question I"d fallen into the trap of assuming that if I just kept blasting away, any sensible oppponent would back off. Epic fail.
  I"m going to give the stats another couple of nights off, so I"ve turned my attention to equally important matters; what is the best music to listen to whilst playing? ::) Tonight"s results are that i played like a moron whilst listening to Slipknot, but since replacing their CD with The Ramones Anthology i"ve been  unstoppable. I"m sure there"s something in that......................
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 21:01:04 PM by monkeyman »

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #769 on: January 18, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »
. I suppose for the hand in question I"d fallen into the trap of assuming that if I just kept blasting away, any sensible oppponent would back off. Epic fail.

Welcome to my world, i had the same realisation after the apat in spain this weekend where i did 7k of my stack in one hand in the first level with 4 high  :(

Time to re asses and come back with a new strategy i fear!!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #770 on: January 18, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
The greatest lesson to learn in poker is:

"People do not fold."
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #771 on: January 18, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »
Especially not old Spanish people apparently.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #772 on: January 20, 2011, 21:46:42 PM »

"People do not fold."

Yep. learning that one the hard way. Its all very well having a whole store cupboard full of fancy moves, but they don"t work in microstakes cash games. 3 and 4 betting in blind versus button encounters is very profitable, otherwise, its just a case of raising in position and c-betting a high percentage. Simplez.
 I am absolutely not going to mention that I am now a luckbox as last night my month"s fortune changed when I stole someone"s buy-in by cracking aces with Queens.  Right now back to the stats.

Tonight"s session

120 minutes
235 hands
profit - 129 x bb -   yee haaaaaaa

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #773 on: January 21, 2011, 20:44:41 PM »
Signs you are getting old part 1.
------------------------------

On a friday night you don"t touch a drop of alcohol, but are happy to divide your time between online poker and Football Manager with Kerrang radio in the background.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #774 on: January 22, 2011, 21:14:22 PM »
Woo hoo! Another session in profit.

Minutes played - 145
Hands  -  272
Profit 138 x bb

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #775 on: January 23, 2011, 22:41:32 PM »
I think something has clicked; I"m now on a run of 4 consecutive profitable sessions. Oi! Isildur! Come and have a go if you think you"re hard enough!

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #776 on: January 24, 2011, 22:00:25 PM »
Tomorrow I"m taking a rare night off to take in the full glory of seeing my "friends"  from Ipswich get humilated by Mr Wenger. Tonight was another positive one giving me an almost unprecedented 5 consecutive sessions in profit. Things are very definitely going the right way.

Minutes played - 100
Hands - 229
Profit - 470 x bb

The first 2.5 weeks of January were so bad that there is no way that I will return a profit for the month. However, February is shaping up as my first step to world domination!.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 22:02:00 PM by monkeyman »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #777 on: January 26, 2011, 00:00:19 AM »
Ok, so I lied about taking a night off. Pausing only to revel in the inevitable Ipswich Town capitulation at Highbury, I"ve managed to squeeze in another couple of profitable stints to put a few more pennies in the bankroll and extend my winning session sequence to seven.

Minutes played - 180
Hands - 387
Profit - 627 x bb

Quasar

• Gold Member
« Reply #778 on: January 26, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »

Love reading this blog. Wish I had your winning play though. Whatever you are doing is obviously working - well done  ;D

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #779 on: January 26, 2011, 17:59:52 PM »

Love reading this blog. Wish I had your winning play though. Whatever you are doing is obviously working - well done  ;D

What"s working for me could be that I"m just not having any major bad beats at present, but there"s a few simple steps I"m following. Some of this will be blindingly obvious:

1) Use tracking software. Don"t even think about playing cash games without it because just about every competent cash player out there is, so you will be at a huge disadvantage if you don"t
2)

"People do not fold."

This is probably the most important point of all. Unless you"re playing at a level where there are professionals lurking, a large number of the players at your table will not do anything fancy and will call with any hint of a hand.
3) If you don"t do so already, whenever the action folds to you on the button, raise with any two cards
4) If you"re in the blinds and the action folds to the button who makes a standard raise, 3 bet with any 2 cards. As most competent players will raise from the button in the situation outlined, reraising them will force them into a decision and the chances are they will fold.
5) If you"re on the button and your raise is met by a reraise from the blinds, 4 bet them with any 2 cards. A lot of solid players will assume that you are making a standard play and will try and raise you off the pot, but will be scared by the 4bet. Any further action means they have the nuts.
6) Play virtually nothing before the cutoff.
7) Enter a pot with a raise, then continuation bet most pots.
8 ) Steps 1-7 are the default settings for your play. Use your tracking software to identify any of the small number of players who may try and mess with your head by not automatically giving in to your agressive moves unless they have the nuts.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 18:01:50 PM by monkeyman »