Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 225145 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: Am I a fish or what?
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2008, 19:58:59 PM »
Right. I"m in, i"m focussed but there"s a Matusow-like tilt not far below the surface. This is going to end in Yee Haaaaaa or FFS and nowhere in between
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2008, 21:05:19 PM »
Up to 8215 at the first break and there were 2 key hands. One where I flopped a straight + open ended straight-flush draw but ended with a split pot then another with pocket queens that became trips on the flop, finished as a full house and got called by Swinebag who held AK (There was an ace on the flop).
   No sign of the volatile side of my temperament yet, I wonder how long that will continue.  

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2008, 21:10:13 PM »
I see Des is off his medication again..........
  Deepstack champion S2  

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 21:13:23 PM »

Up to 8215 at the first break and there were 2 key hands. One where I flopped a straight + open ended straight-flush draw but ended with a split pot then another with pocket queens that became trips on the flop, finished as a full house and got called by Swinebag who held AK (There was an ace on the flop).
   No sign of the volatile side of my temperament yet, I wonder how long that will continue. 

I am a pay off donk nut! :-[
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2008, 21:26:57 PM »

???

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2008, 21:38:21 PM »

???

Hob Nob"s indeed.....tsk
  Deepstack champion S2  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2008, 22:08:21 PM »
still there limpping along on 5490. They are all going in sometime soon

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2008, 22:18:30 PM »
out in 29th. Not a single playable hand in the 2nd hour so I can"t find anything to whinge about for once. I might just see the season out after all

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2008, 10:12:36 AM »
As Black Sabbath once sung, I"m going through changes. No, I"m not in the middle of a course of plastic surgery and I don"t intend having a sex-change, but my poker habits  have drastically altered within the last month.
  I"ve been playing for 3 years and started on the free SNGs on Partypoker. I quickly progressed onto the real money version and since then, allowing for occasional dalliances with every other poker variant, I"ve been almost exclusively a no-limit hold"em tournament player. Recently I"ve been dabbling with cash pot-limit omaha with success. I"ve found Betfair"s tables to be very soft, although there seems to be a very small pool of people who play there and because at the moment I"ll only hang around if I"m convinced nobody is very clued-up on the game, any sign of names that I recognise as multitabling regulars sees me running for the hills. I"ve tried Full Tilt"s tables, but most of the players I"ve encountered are nutters and I"ve got tired of every player who loses a pot telling the winner to perform a sexual act with a close relation. At the moment, Pokerstars omaha tables are my first choice of game and I now find myself sitting down in front of my computer working out how long I want to play for, rather than looking through all 12 poker sites on my PC trying to find out when the next deepstack hold"em tourney is starting. Right now, I seem to be primarily a cash player although given my track record, I"ll probably change my mind by this time next week    

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »
Do you use poker tracker and if so does it work for omaha?
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2008, 13:17:01 PM »

Do you use poker tracker and if so does it work for omaha?

I"m a bit behind the times and I don"t use any tracking or evaluation sites. I rely solely on a "suck it and see" approach.
The advantage I"ve found with playing omaha is that a lot of people pay scant regard to basics like how important position is ( even more so than with hold"em), and the relationship between each of the 4 cards dealt. There doesn"t seem to be enough players on any of the european only sites to make serious money long term, so if I want to have a real stab at this, I probably will have to concentrate on Pokerstars/Partypoker/Full Tilt.  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 08:58:58 AM »
This change in habits seems to have some staying power. I"ve not played a single hand of Hold'em since last saturday and the bankroll is going very nicely. I put a tiny deposit in my Pokerstars account last week and I"ve trebled that already. I tend to play short, sharp sessions then move to another site. I"m currently flitting between Pokerstars,Betfair and Blue Square with the first mentioned seeing most playing time. I"ve also played a couple of small omaha tournaments on Dusk till Dawn, but for some reason my play in these has been rancid whilst I can"t do much wrong with my cash play. Tournaments, pah! Who needs them?
  I"ve also booked my hotel and train tickets for The Vic in August. I initially planned on playing the main event and all the side events if I can get in, but I"m now thinking about not playing for a day or two to allow me to do all the tourist stuff. I"m a godawful stud player so this is the event I"m most likely to drop, although given my record in APAT hold"em tournaments I"m likely to have sunday free as well!  

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2008, 18:39:28 PM »

This change in habits seems to have some staying power. I"ve not played a single hand of Hold'em since last saturday and the bankroll is going very nicely. I put a tiny deposit in my Pokerstars account last week and I"ve trebled that already. I tend to play short, sharp sessions then move to another site. I"m currently flitting between Pokerstars,Betfair and Blue Square with the first mentioned seeing most playing time. I"ve also played a couple of small omaha tournaments on Dusk till Dawn, but for some reason my play in these has been rancid whilst I can"t do much wrong with my cash play. Tournaments, pah! Who needs them?
  I"ve also booked my hotel and train tickets for The Vic in August. I initially planned on playing the main event and all the side events if I can get in, but I"m now thinking about not playing for a day or two to allow me to do all the tourist stuff. I"m a godawful stud player so this is the event I"m most likely to drop, although given my record in APAT hold"em tournaments I"m likely to have sunday free as well!  

I knew it wouldn"t last. Ignore the above, I"m going to have to play a few holdem tourneys for the sake of my sanity. I the space of 15 minutes I"ve just lost 3 pots after flopping a full house then seeing an opponent hit a bigger full house on the river. Poker sucks

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2008, 18:49:04 PM »

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2008, 21:06:35 PM »
My recent dalliance with omaha has led me to do some thinking about what exactly I was trying to achieve with my poker and what my motivation was for playing. Am I playing just for the money? Is it just to satisfy my competitive streak? Or is it a purely social thing? I think the answer is all of the above. Its great to have a hobby which unlike, say, binge drinking, gives me a chance of recovering my outlay or even make a profit, as happened through 2007. I"ve come to the conclusion that the form of poker I find most satisfying for a number of reasons is no-limit texas hold"em tournaments. I"ve always had a thing about playing tournaments with a structure which allows for imagination and original thinking to be used, as my competitive side gives me satisfaction from outplaying opponents rather than being luckier than they are. What I"ve now decided is that I should never play any tournament unless I know I have at least 4 to 5 hours to spare.  Of course there are plenty of occasions when this won"t be feasible, so rather than play turbo tournaments or sit and gos, pot-limit omaha cash games suit me nicely.
 A regular theme of my ramblings over the last few weeks is how badly I take defeat. Whether its a bad beat or incompetent play on my part, my exit from a significant proportion of the tournaments I play is the cue for all my toys to be thrown from the pram. I"ve had a couple of conversations this week which have struck a chord. A couple of days ago someone asked me "What scares you?". My instinctive response was "Approaching 40, living alone in a 1 bedroom flat and working in a call centre". A little later, the same person asked whether I thought I saw playing poker as my lottery ticket out of this. Instantly, the latter comment struck a chord and perhaps, gave me an answer as to why I sometimes take things way too seriously. One of my earliest entries in this blog mentioned how I spend time daydreaming about being interviewed on ESPN after collecting my gold bracelet. Put this together with my conversations this week and the answer is there; every time I enter a tournament of any description, rather than just enjoying it for what it is, i"ve seen it as the start of the process which will lead me the big house in the country, the flash car and the limitless, spur of the moment, trips to far-flung places. Defeat means a return to planet earth and getting up again the next day to answer questions about what time the local waste tip opens.
 I"m not saying I"ll never again type "FFS" or have a whinge but things seem a little clearer now. If anyone reading this ever encounters me, either online or live, whining, you have my permission to tell me to grow up and stop being a prat. One of my favourite songs is "Knock me down" by the Red Hot Chilli peppers which was written about the drug-caused death of their first guitarist. Despite the real meaning of the song, the chorus seems to reinforce some of my recent lessons "If you see me getting by, if you see me getting high, knock me down, I"m not bigger than life"