Author Topic: If Carlsberg did dull poker blogs, they'd do this one  (Read 227254 times)

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
Re: Am I a fish or what?
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
Saturday morning and again I"m in profit for the week so far. Assuming things don"t go disasterously wrong today, it should mean that I"ll have made profit for four consecutive weeks since I started playing cash 7 card stud. I don"t think I"ve ever made profit for four consecutive weeks since I started playing any form of poker, so I think I"ve learnt a lesson about how I should be occupying myself. However, the proportion of time I spend on certain sites has altered slightly over the past month and will probably continue to do so. The majority of my stud playing time has been spent on Pokerstars and Partypoker, the first two sites I ever played on, with Full Tilt as plan C. This week, however, the good folks at Pokerstars have instructed their dealers to annoy the hell out of me and deal drawing hand after drawing hand that never completes. I think me and "Stars need some time apart to give our relationship some breathing space. Thank heavens for Partypoker though, they"ve been much more accomodating. Admittedly, the standard of play at comparable buy-ins is slightly lower than on my other sites but I can"t do much wrong at present. My best session of the week came last night when I managed to double my buy in within thirty minutes. Not bad for a limit game.  
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2008, 18:52:48 PM »
This blog has ceased to be,gone to meet its maker, off to knock on the pearly gates etc. Bye.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2008, 19:00:57 PM »
Surely not.....c"mon monkeyman....this blog makes great reading, although clearly the voting public of APAT did not turn out in their droves to vote for anyone in the comp.  But nearly 3,000 views tells a story....

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2008, 19:12:05 PM »
Des does have a point, hadn"t realised the views were that high.  Great effort, should definitely keep it going.

This thread has become a must read over the past few weeks.  :o

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2008, 19:32:34 PM »
Aw go on then, I might reconsider. Translation = I will continue spouting my own brand of inane drivel at least until The Vic. After that, who knows. Translation no.2, This blog has taken on a life of its own so I don"t know that I"m able to stop it.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2008, 19:50:28 PM »
Well done Simon, the right decision....and when you do take down something big we want to be part of it.  GL sir....

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2008, 20:43:08 PM »
Keep going son, you got my vote and well deserved too.

Although in truth it was more for your comedy guests  :-*

Bad hat lady

« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2008, 22:09:49 PM »
You"ve got to keep going until the Vic; who else is going to give us the biscuit report? Personally I would also like to know if Helmetman's new image has improved his poker or any other aspects of his life.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2008, 00:40:18 AM »
The start of a new week and two decisions to be made.........
  Decision number one is poker related. Since my recent conversion from tournament hold"em devotee to 7 card stud cash grinder, I"ve made profit for four consecutive weeks. Admittedly, the amounts I"ve won are not huge, but do represent the average buy in for the level I"ve been playing at times several. I decided to step up to the next buy in level thinking that if things went really badly I would retreat from whence I came in the hope of making up a small deficit. I have to say that the way the cards have run over the last 48 hours, I"m glad I"m playing a limit game as opposed to, say, pot limit omaha. As usual, most of my stud time has been split between Pokerstars and Partypoker with Full Tilt as plan "c". To start with, I played like an idiot, imagining that I had to try all kinds of moves that I"d not been making at the level I"d been accustomed to. This was a mistake and led to me showing a loss. Once I"d screwed on my sensible head and decided to carry on playing the way I"d been playing for the last few weeks, things improved and I returned to profit. Then I made the mistake of deciding I would play on Full Tilt just to see how things were in my new grade. Oh dear. I try not to "do" bad beat stories, but every time I bet into a pot all the way to seventh street, the final card took things away from me. One of the things I"ve mentioned several times in this blog is my displays of petulance when things aren"t going my way and I decided that as soon as I"d typed "FFS"  for the first time it was time to leave. Maybe that"s a sign that I"ve got a bit more control over myself than two or three months ago. I had a short session back on Pokerstars which yielded a positive result and the upshot of it all is that my profit/loss for the week currently stands at a loss of slightly less than the standard buy in for the higher level. The plan for the rest of the week is to step down again in an attempt to grind my way back to profit with a view to having another try next week if successful.
 Decision number two will have to be made on friday night and has nothing whatsoever to do with poker. I"m having a night out with several people from work some of whom are bringing wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends/lovers/bits on the side/stalkers/all of the above. We"re meeting in one of those poncy bars where they serve the same watered-down bland lager served elsewhere, but they charge exhorbitant prices because they wipe a little bit of the head off and stand the glass on a napkin. At some point the group will splinter into smaller units and my decision will be between one of the following:

1) Go to another bar and drink more tasteless lager
2) Go to a club where I will start off by drinking more lager but move onto demonstrate some of my own unique dance moves
3) Make use of that free entry token I was given several weeks ago for Spearmint Rhino.

Before I leave my flat, I will ensure that I have prepared myself for all the above eventualities by:

1) Eating lots to absorb the alcohol
2) Eating lots and making sure I wear a really comfortable pair of shoes
3) Making sure I wear the loosest fitting pair of trousers I have      

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2008, 23:10:56 PM »
I had a break from cash play tonight and had a go at two tourneys. I played in a freeroll on Jenningsbet in which I finished twenty first for a return of  just under three euros and also played a stud tourney as well.
  One thing I"ve found enormously frustrating is the lack of stud torunaments available on any sites. Most of those that are out there are of the fifteen hundred chips/one-mistake-and-you"re-out variety so I give them a miss. I will not play any tournament which doesn"t at least provide scope for a modicum of good poker before everyone is forced to shove. On Partypoker there is a tournament which starts at 19.20 which, although it only has a buy in of $6, normally attracts sixty-five to seventy runners with the payout going to everyone on the final table of eight. OK, no-one is going to be rushing to offer me a sponsorship deal off the back of success in these events, but my main objective at the moment is to gain experience; if I win nothing I haven"t lost much and there is an enormous amount to learn.  Before today, I"ve played in this competition twice in the last ten days or so with sixth and 13th placings to my name. Tonight I finished third. Three-handed I had two hands where I had good cards early, piled as many chips in as my opponent would call, only to see the same guy hit his draw on seventh street on both occasions. Much to my surprise, no curses were uttered, no derogatory comments were put in the chat box and no objects were thrown across the room. Maybe I"m mellowing with age.        

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2008, 17:20:48 PM »
I"ve got another tricky decision to make and this time it relates to tonight"s entertainment. Should I play in play in the stud tournament on Partypoker which has been kind to me recently or switch back to Hold'em for 8pm on Blue Square. Maybe I should toss a coin?

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2008, 18:48:25 PM »
is both not an option?

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2008, 19:09:36 PM »

is both not an option?

I struggle with one table let alone two!

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2008, 06:37:47 AM »
Wel that was fun. Last night I played my first APAT online event for a while and finished third. I played next to nothing in the first hour, went down to little more than 2000 in the second hour then came good when I started shoving. I have played far, far better than that this season and got nothing so it was nice to see the poker gods on my side for once. Lets hope they are as friendly to me in London.  

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »

Wel that was fun. Last night I played my first APAT online event for a while and finished third. I played next to nothing in the first hour, went down to little more than 2000 in the second hour then came good when I started shoving. I have played far, far better than that this season and got nothing so it was nice to see the poker gods on my side for once. Lets hope they are as friendly to me in London. 

Will see you there mate and hope we meet on the FT again.

Well played again last night.